FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Les Baxter CD News!
Les Baxter CD News!
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 09:12 am   Permalink

Just wanted to throw-out a line in this forum to inform all TCers of a new CD release of the classic Les Baxter albums "The Ritual of the Savages/The Passions". This should be welcome news for those of you who have lusted after the ultimate exotica compilation CD "The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter", which has been out of print for years. According to Amazon.com, this CD will be released at the end of the month.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 12:57 pm   Permalink

Word has it that it was taken off vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 1:17 pm   Permalink

Well, that kinda sucks.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 3:14 pm   Permalink

I'm not 100% sure that it is taken from vinyl.

But, if it is:

I have the utmost respect for any label willing to do a CD from a high-quality vinyl transfer when the label that owns the master tapes is too boneheaded to put it out themselves.

I'm grateful someone cares enough to release these gems.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-04 13:17, quickiki wrote:
Well, that kinda sucks.

Quickiki,

I bought a CD of the Passions via Gemm about 6 months ago. This was a new CD from an outfit out of Texas (I think). In any case, it was recorded from an album. Doesn't sound too bad, though I'm really into vinyl -- and a lot of it direct from the salvation army -- so to be honest I've kinda stopped hearing the hiss and pops I think.

But let me tell you, it's so amazing that I'd buy it on cassette (hell, 8-track!). Just incredible -- some tracks are terrifying. Played it to death on my show when I first got it.

Oh, and I just checked gemm. Copies still out there.

But I agree, clean CDs from Tapes would be extra special!!! Capitol is funny. Ultra Lounge seems to have proved the stuff will sell. If they can do an Ultra Lounge of all of Mrs. Millers stuff, it seems they could do an Ultra Lounge of these two LPs.

Hey here's one question for everyone: Do these two LPs really go well together? Seems like Ritual goes with Tamboo, and Passions goes with the Primitive and the Passionate.

I,Z

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2006-08-04 19:09 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation