FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food best dark rums
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
best dark rums
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 09:48, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-08-20 08:40, Chip and Andy wrote:

It says "Premium dark Rum..." Has anyone tried this yet? Is it really Premium and does it fit the Jab's request for Second Best?

That's the well dark rum they use at Forbidden Island, as it won the blind taste test against Coruba and 4 other cheap dark rums, whcih would make it a great choice for the home bar. But I can't find it anywhere here and Martiki says it's only available to bars (in this area). I even asked at Trader Vic's Emeryville. They don't sell rum bottles in the restaurant.

I got this one yesterday and haven't tried it yet. It smells tasty, so I have high hopes.

Jab, PM me a shipping address and I will get you a bottle or two....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 09:55, Chip and Andy wrote:
I got this one yesterday and haven't tried it yet. It smells tasty, so I have high hopes.

Well, once you've tasted it, please let us know what you think. And where did you get it?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 02:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-21 18:33, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

Well, once you've tasted it, please let us know what you think. And where did you get it?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 3:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 08:40, Chip and Andy wrote:

Did you try it?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-21 18:33, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

I got my bottle at my local Crown Liquors for about $20 and I tried it in straight and in several different cocktails. Overall I am unimpressed. It is indeed a tasty rum even if a bit sweet, brings a good nose to your drink and has a wonderful dark color, but it leaves a weird mouth-feel if you drink it straight. Not sure exactly how to describe it other than weird. It is colored, so the darkness is synthetic and that may explain the weirdness on the mouth when taken straight. It makes a decent addition to most drinks. It does not, however, make a good daiquri.

If you are shopping for dark rums, I would pass on this one for a better bottle of Coruba or Barbancourt 8. If you are stocking your bar with less than top-shelf rums to pour to your non-tiki drinking buddies then this is good bottle to have handy.

But that is just my taste. And I stick by my original claim of El Dorado 15. Followed closely by the Cruzan Single Barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-17 6:27 pm   Permalink

Recent sightings (today) at Bottle King:

El Dorado 15-year-old Demerara: $27.99

Rhum Barbancourt 15-year-old Haitian: $29.99

Are these prices good?

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-17 10:34 pm   Permalink

I don't know if I've ever had some of the brands you all mention with regularity except for the Myers, so I'm obviously not quite the connoisseur that y'all are, but I do drink strictly rum when looking for a hard liquor. One of my favorites is the Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum. It is a pretty golden brown color with a nice flavor, but I don't have another rum in my cabinet to compare it to (color or otherwise) right now. I also have enjoyed Mount Gay rums (Barbados) in the past, but I absolutely positively stay away from Puerto Rican rums unless it's total desperation on my part (I am rarely that desperate)!

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 2:04 pm   Permalink

seems like, for mixing purposes, everybody mentions just the following dark rums:

--Appleton Estate, El Dorado, Coruba, Smith & Cross, Myers's, Gosling's black seal, Pusser's blue, and Cruzan black strap.

Are there any other commonly found dark rums out there anybody can recommend for mixing?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 5:06 pm   Permalink

Lemon Hart 80, if you can find it,
and Lemon hart 151 if the drink calls for it.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 09:38 am   Permalink

have never seen LH 80 anywhere in FLA.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 09:51 am   Permalink

I've been able to occasionally get LH in Brevard. Don't know about the the rest of the state.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-31 14:04, thePorpoise wrote:
Are there any other commonly found dark rums out there anybody can recommend for mixing?

Brugal Ron Anejo works well in some drinks (disclaimer: it was on sale at a ridiculous price and used it in everything)

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 11:29 am   Permalink

isnt that a gold rum tho?

Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-01 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-31 14:04, thePorpoise wrote:
seems like, for mixing purposes, everybody mentions just the following dark rums:

--Appleton Estate, El Dorado, Coruba, Smith & Cross, Myers's, Gosling's black seal, Pusser's blue, and Cruzan black strap.

I think if the key descriptor is 'commonly found', the answer would be no, excepting btd's addition of Lemon Hart. Then again, what's easy to find can depend a lot on where you live. Goslings, Myers and black strap are the only things I would call common here in (my part of) Maryland.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 4:24 pm   Permalink

My approach is this: If it is a rum-forward drink (such as Mai-Tai, Zombie, etc), then Appleton Estate Extra, El Dorado 12/15, Smith & Cross or other premiums are called for. If the drink calls for more fruit juices and sweeteners, I reach for Coruba for the dark Jamaican. I have a hard time finding Coruba where I am now, but was just in Miami and came back with a couple of bottles. Wish I could have found more. I also have Kohala Bay, the Mai-Kai's higher proof dark Jamaican rum of choice, and I've found it works okay in certain drinks like the Black Magic that have strong mixers (coffee), but it can absolutely destroy a rum-forward drink such as a Zombie or War God.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation