FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New tiki finished---->>>#12 carved and burnt....{Advice on stone carving?} pg.3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
New tiki finished---->>>#12 carved and burnt....{Advice on stone carving?} pg.3
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 3:35 pm   Permalink

Hi Duddy. Im a new member here & slooowly getting around to meeting you folks & checking out the great artworks. Sorry to go dragging your age into it again, but I have to agree with the others in regards to this... You have made a great start & with so many years ahead of you Im sure you are going to be a chap to watch!! My 'medium' is stone & I really have limited experience with wood, but know that the approach is much the same whatever you use (to quote Benzart -we are just removing everything that aint tiki, haha!) **The learning never stops & after about 10 years carving off & on, am also still learning/developing. Its those undeniable 'Eureka' moments when something new just 'clicks' in your mind. Im sure you know what Im talking about... Anyway, two thumbs up from me. Good on you!! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freddimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-04 4:39 pm   Permalink

Duddy, I think you should make some large Tiki's using some of your earlier smaller ones as models. They would look awesome as large ones. Keep up the great progress!

View Profile of Freddimon Send a personal message to Freddimon  Email Freddimon Goto the website of Freddimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 8:22 pm   Permalink

well all thats left on that one is the stain and poly.

benz- thanks man it always means alot to have your positive comments. i think mom might just hold on to this one. she was a little flustered when i said that i gave dad one before her (the big tiki). and i really hope some day im well im not too sure about famous but...known maybe.

tamapoutini-hey thanks to you too. and WELCOME! such a great place is it not? all these great amazing carvers giving you such warmth. like a family. it really is no problem talking bout my age...it actually makes me feel good haha. and yes every time i carve i learn ALOT...you also learn by the cuts you get of course.

freddimon-and thank you as well. yes you hit it right on the head. that is what i wanted to do make a few small ones so that i dont mess up a big piece of wood...(when i finally find a good piece that isnt destroyed)

thank you all. i have said it once im sure and i will say it many more times... it means ALOT to have such great carvers say such kind words. and i appreciate that GREATLY.

thank you

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 05:16 am   Permalink

Very Very nice. Keep em coming.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 1:38 pm   Permalink

hey mctiki thanks alot. im gonna be putting more up soon enough.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 5:02 pm   Permalink

hey ive had a coconut in the fridge for a while now and really want to make a tiki mug out of it, but......the problem is i have absolutley no clue of what to do. should i scoop out the inside and then what? i know benzart told me once that they work ALOT better if they are fresh but this one is brown. so is there still a way to carve?

if anyone knows please give a post.

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 2:36 pm   Permalink

ok i bought a dremel a few weeks ago and it has a few attachments for stone work. im not too sure what i all need though. will a dremel do it? what attachments do i also need?

any comments would be a big help.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 2:45 pm   Permalink

You'll need some of these:
http://search.ebay.com/diamond-burrs_W0QQfromZR40
The grinding burrs that come with those sets wear out and lose their shape too quick.
You'll also need to get the water running onto the burr, Tama and I have described this in detail in other threads (our own ones, pdrake's etc)
What sort of stone are you going to use? Don't start on something too hard...marble or granite would be a good choice.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 3:13 pm   Permalink

Another potential 'stoner'? Great stuff! (Paipos right, we are going to have to have a go with wood...) Give it a whirl, we're watchin'. Good luck Duddy! T3

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 6:06 pm   Permalink

hey guys thanks alot. always helps having people comment and help. right after i posted the last one i went outside to try and see if it worked. it actually turned out great. i just picked a random rock up and took it to the dremel. the dremel bits are perfect still so it didnt do too much damage. ill post it as soon as i can. right now the camera phone i use for pictures isnt sending them right. so ill try to fix it.
untill then...
thanks

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation