FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Can you help me identify these?
Can you help me identify these?
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 2:41 pm   Permalink

These were given to me by one of my wife's friend's husbands (I know, I know). He says that they all came from Tahiti a long time ago but I'm not so sure. The mask says it was made in Indonesia, the others are unlabled.

I'd like to put them in the Leeward Lounge, but not if they're African or just some weird stuff that a hippie made.

Any ideas?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 2:44 pm   Permalink

Those danged dirty hippies! It all looks pretty consistent with on-the-cheap Indonesian stuff to me, but someone with sharper eyes may be able to say something more definitive. But those wacky beatnik bongos are pretty darned cool!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 8:52 pm   Permalink

The second pix definitely look a bit on the Jamaican tip, in my opinion..Dont really know on the bongo drum..

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 9:44 pm   Permalink

Holy cats!

This looks African. But I think Humuhumu hit the nail on the Indonesian head.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 01:14 am   Permalink

One thing is for sure, they are NOT from Tahiti. Maybe he meant Haiti? Tahitian Tiki items are usually Marquesan style, since that is where all the carvers came from.

The bongo drums could pass as some "further flotsam from the Seven Seas" exotic addition to an otherwise wellstacked Tiki Lounge.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-08 01:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-07 14:44, Humuhumu wrote:
Those danged dirty hippies! It all looks pretty consistent with on-the-cheap Indonesian stuff to me, but someone with sharper eyes may be able to say something more definitive. But those wacky beatnik bongos are pretty darned cool!

laughs.....dang them!....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 07:05 am   Permalink

The man and woman statue definitely look Jamaican, which means the drums could be too, the drums look disco voo-doo and still might be fun for your tiki lounge.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 8:38 pm   Permalink

The carved bearded figure and his mate are Jamaican...i have a friend who goes to all the garage
sales and flea markets around here and brings me everything that he thinks is tiki-ish...and
i take all of it just in case he eventually stumbles onto something great. He has picked up two
sets of these figures...virtually identical...and one of them had "jamaica" scrawled on the back.
I was thinking of making a chess set if he keeps finding them...but I don't play chess.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-24 20:38, congatiki wrote:
The carved bearded figure and his mate are Jamaican...i have a friend who goes to all the garage
sales and flea markets around here and brings me everything that he thinks is tiki-ish...and
i take all of it just in case he eventually stumbles onto something great. He has picked up two
sets of these figures...virtually identical...and one of them had "jamaica" scrawled on the back.
I was thinking of making a chess set if he keeps finding them...but I don't play chess.

You should just have them watch over the rum collection

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 8:26 pm   Permalink

Just a thought..

You have the talent to re-sculpt them- sand 'em out, add some new lines and tikify them... Those 2 look like they could fairly easily become moai- the woman a moai balancing rocks on head.

My great aunt laid a few similar pieces on me- really nice mahogany but not tiki.. Yet.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation