FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 2:24 pm   Permalink

Many of us here at Tiki Central are poor. I mean, relatively poor, we do own computers so we're not on the verge of starving.

Some of us are poor, AND live in areas where affordable Tikis and Tiki Decor are hard to come by.

So now and then we are forced to get creative.

Case in point, I called my home Tiki Lounge, "The Granite Tiki Lounge" Which posed two problems for me right off the bat. Where will I find a granite tiki? And how will I afford it, even if I found it?!?!

The answers were found at The Christmas Tree Shop, IParty, and Home Depot.

The first picture is a Tiki I bought at the Christmas Tree Shop (I don't remember the price but it was cheap) spray painted with a faux granite spray paint.

The second, is a broken Moai from a set of lawn spike lights given the same treatment.

I know I've seen at least one other instance of people here at Tiki Central bettering their store bought Tikis in this fashion, and I hope more examples of this type of Tiki-On-A-Budget will be posted here.

I've got a few more things I've done which I'll post in the days ahead.

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-08 14:26 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 07:51 am   Permalink

I can't afford the faux granite spray. I had to get by with faux talc. My tiki's nose doesn't shine so much anyway.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 08:18 am   Permalink

I will note that this is not ALL us poor New Englanders do.

I know that Granite, Tikisgrl, myself and others have founds lots and lots of good mugs at thrift stores, flea markets and estate sales.

However, there are no sources of anything new other than the aforementioned chain stores and anything that Accoutrements might put out.

Well, that and getting freebies from the Kowloon.

Apparently though, I have a tiki carver in Maine (who probably also does bears and eagles out of stumps) that I need to go check out.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 09:24 am   Permalink

And I missed the Kowloon giveaway night! I had to pay for mine!!!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 09:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-09 09:24, The Granite Tiki wrote:
And I missed the Kowloon giveaway night! I had to pay for mine!!!!

We tipped very well.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-09 08:18, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:

However, there are no sources of anything new other than the aforementioned chain stores and anything that Accoutrements might put out.

Aren´t there are lots of great carvers, mug designers/makers and other Tiki artists offering lots of new Tiki items here at Tiki Central? I see really great, new (original and one-of-a-kind) Tiki works of art presented at Tiki Central all the time. You want new, original and top quality Tiki art, carvings and decorations - Tiki Central has artists making it!

View Profile of ToonToonz Send a personal message to ToonToonz  Goto the website of ToonToonz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 5:12 pm   Permalink

Check the title of the thread. Tiki on a BUDGET.

There are great folks here making great new stuff. But for the most part it costs a lot. And when you live close to the makers, you can find deals. When you don't live close to the makers, you can't access those deals.

Plus, shipping is a bitch on the larger things.

And in terms of finding stuff, since there always was more tiki on the west coast, it's easier to find at estate sales/thrift shops/flea markets there than it is here.

The only good thing here is that there are fewer people looking for it.

..sbim

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-09 9:18 pm   Permalink

One of these days GROG have to move out of the stone age and get a digital camera so GROG can post some examples of what GROG has done to make cheap, but nice looking tiki decorations, and the relatively easy process for doing such.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 9:25 pm   Permalink

ToonToonz, if you can find me a carver who can carve a granite tiki for me, for under $30. PLEASE SEND ME HIS INFO!!!

In the meantime, show us your Tiki-On-A-Budget creations here.

ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 02:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

if you can find me a carver who can carve a granite tiki for me, for under $30. PLEASE SEND ME HIS INFO!!!

In the meantime, show us your Tiki-On-A-Budget creations here.

I don´t know anything about carving or granite, so sorry I can´t help you.

Tiki-On-A-Budget creations? Just depends on what your budget is.
What is the most $$$ you have spent on Tiki or any type art?

I don´t offer any, but many painters here offer very reasonably priced prints.

[ This Message was edited by: ToonToonz 2006-08-10 02:40 ]

View Profile of ToonToonz Send a personal message to ToonToonz  Goto the website of ToonToonz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 09:14 am   Permalink

Yes, Toontoonz, there are many affordable pieces of art available here at Tiki Central, and I am the proud owner of Doug Horne's "Tiki Girl" print.

But this is a thread to exchange ideas about how to turn something that may be "un-tiki" (or any degree between cool tiki, and uncool tiki) on it's own into something creative and tiki without spending a lot of money.

This thread is certainly not meant to take away from the great carvers and artists here at Tiki Central, it's to help some of us decorate well, in the meantime, while saving our pennies to buy something BIG in the future!

ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 09:52 am   Permalink

Spray paint works wonders on everything!

ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 11:34 am   Permalink

Here´s a paint-it-yourself, 6.3 x 7.1 inch tiki print signed by ToonToonz!

Click on the graphic above and a full-size .pdf file opens, ready to print it out and paint or color however you want.
Then frame and hang.
A work of art for free!

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 2:07 pm   Permalink

That's the spirit Toontoonz!!

And speaking of spray paint...

When I realized my outdoor bar desperately needed a working sink, I grabbed a bathroom vanity sink that was sitting in my garage when I bought the house, grabbed some thick lumber that was also left over when the previous owner built a fence, dug a deep trench for the garden hose, bought an adaptor to hook the garden hose to the sink fixtures, built a sturdy frame from the lumber, and finally, made a quick stencil of a design I found on one of my shirts, and spray painted the parts of the sink and frame that wouldn't be covered by grass skirting.

(Here are some bigger pics that I'll just put a link to so as not to stretch out the thread)

http://www.carlayotte.accountsupport.com/Tiki%20Concerns/ZOutdoor9.JPG

http://www.carlayotte.accountsupport.com/Tiki%20Concerns/ZOutdoor10.JPG

I should mention that as this is an outdoor bar in New Hampshire, it all needs to be taken down in late fall! So if it has a disposable air about it, you'll understand!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-10 14:11 ]

rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-10 6:36 pm   Permalink

This thread rocks. I love tweaking exsisting stuff and trying to make it tiki. This is a light I made. I used a cheap patio light as a mold for the cement. I will post pictures of a bar I built later and some modifications to a Target bamboo fountain I got on sale.

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation