FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 7:31 pm   Permalink

Well, did a little shopping today and have a few ideas for budget tiki items. Here's my first...

I found these at Michael's for 25 cents each. There are 4x7" wooden plank about 1/8" think. I bought 50 of them with ideas swirling in my head. Hopefully I don't sound like Martha Stewart when I'm done listing my ideas.. Plus, anyone who has any others, just shout.

First, I'm thinking of turning some into wooden drink coasters similar to the Don the Beachcomber coasters.

Now, here comes Martha Stewart....

I also thought they'd make great invitations to a Luau or Tiki party. For both ideas, have to stain the wood, seal it, then create a stencil for lettering, and seal again.

Any thoughts?

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 7:43 pm   Permalink

Ok, second item...

I found these wooden arrows with the mounting hardware on the back for 50 cents each at the Christmas Tree Shops. (A New England bargain outlet) I bought 6 of them with the idea of re-painting them with lettering to the tropics (ex. Maui 2500 miles) then hanging them on my wall in a M*A*S*H post sign fashion. Maybe a piece of split bamboo to make a post, not sure if it's necessary

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 7:50 pm   Permalink

OK, last item...

At the Christmas Tree Shoppe, I also found a few really nice lamps with a wicker-rattan shade. They're a white lamp base, but I was thinking shellac to bring the color of bamboo. The other idea was to see if I could find some hollowed out 2" bamboo and just place it over the lamp. Either way, a steal for $12 each including the shade.

I'll keep ya posted with project progress, but I wanted to throw my ideas out there for anyone wanting to do the same, while the stuff my still be out there.

Cheers!

Rick

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 8:22 pm   Permalink

Cool ideas, make sure you post some pics

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 9:01 pm   Permalink

Random budget Tiki-tip:

An earlier post mentioned painting light bulbs. Indeed, colored bulbs are expensive with limited wattage options, and are fairly hard to find. As most tikiphiles know, colored lighting is everything when it comes to creating a mood.

My solution was to buy standard low-watt bulbs and spray them with a special glass paint I found at the hardware store. Normal spray paint is too opaque and just absorbs most of the light, but the glass paint is designed to stay transparent. If you're eco-minded, you could also use this method to make colored compact fluorescents.

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-19 19:43, Bogielocks wrote:
Ok, second item...

I found these wooden arrows with the mounting hardware on the back for 50 cents each at the Christmas Tree Shops. (A New England bargain outlet) I bought 6 of them with the idea of re-painting them with lettering to the tropics (ex. Maui 2500 miles) then hanging them on my wall in a M*A*S*H post sign fashion. Maybe a piece of split bamboo to make a post, not sure if it's necessary

OK, this is just a sample of how they came out, and how I may display them. Maybe, put some bamboo pole in-between.

Cheers!

Rick
Let me know whatcha think...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 01:18 am   Permalink

The Hawaii sign is a little hard to read (because of the color) but otherwise they look great

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-29 12:03 pm   Permalink

Love the arrow signs. I was thinking of doing a post for my deck with a shower head and famous surf spots on it.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-02 11:05 pm   Permalink

I needed a simple tiki light for a dark spot on my patio. I looked around to see what materials
I had, and made this...

I used three slightly different lengths of bamboo as the center spine.
I wound a 50-light set around the bamboo.
Then I mounted a cheap (99 cent store) lampshade wireframe onto the bamboos.
I hot-melt glued a split bamboo placemat onto the wire lampshade frame.
Then to finish it off, I hot-melt glued a palm weave trim strip around the placemat.

At night the lights "twinkle" through the shade as you walk past.

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-02 11:32 pm   Permalink

I guess we've all looked at these vacuformed tikis

and wondered if they could be used as a mold to make
something more permanent.

I got a similar plastic Tiki and made a simple wood frame
around it, and just filled it with mortar mix.

After a day of drying out, I popped out a beautiful "CemenTiki"!

I plan to make more and mount them to my cement block wall as
part of an overall design.

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 03:30 am   Permalink

Kewlava, love the lamp and the tikis. I'm kind of slow--how did that mold thingie work again? Any more pics of the process for us dopes?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 03:32 am   Permalink

Oh, wait. I get it! Does that wreck the mold or can you keep using it?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 06:44 am   Permalink

Best use of those plastic pieces of poop ever!!!!

I can't wait to try that!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 07:21 am   Permalink

whoa..... thats cool

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 11:23 am   Permalink

now that's cool!!!!!!!!! Did you coat the inside of the form. ? Can you reuse the form or is it a one time form? Thanks for the tips

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation