FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-03 11:50 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2007-11-03 11:54 ]

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-03 11:51 am   Permalink

Okay, I admit my instructions were a bit sketchy!

Here's a better description of how I made the "mold"...

I then mixed up a batch of mortar mix, to a consistancy of oatmeal. (Just
thin enough to pour).I slowly poured into the "mold" and used a disposable
bristle brush to chase out any bubbles.

I brushed vaseline onto the inside of the plastic mold, (as a separator)
before I poured the first one, but It's not really necessary, I skipped the
next three.

This is how the inside of the "mold" looks
after four pieces have been made from it.

To remove the CemenTiki (as I've named them)
Just turn the cured piece (mold and all) cement side down, and
then gently lift the mold from the piece. It will pop off, one
section at a time. There will be surface bubbles, but I think
that adds character!
I let them sit unmolested for several hours to finish curing out.

Have fun and good luck!

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 2:50 pm   Permalink

Gotchya, don't molest the cementiki until fully cured.

Thanks so much for the instructions!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-11-03 14:51 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 5:04 pm   Permalink

Looks cool! Great budget tiki idea I would love to see some of these painted up with a real weathered stone effect, and some moss on them.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 5:46 pm   Permalink

Dag-nabbit Kewlava, you beat me to the punch!

You can also pour it in the mold too, if you "grease" it up for reuse.
Say did you put a little bit or rebarb in there? I would to be safe. You can also take trick-or-treat buckets (shaped like a skull and what not), cut them along the mold line and tape them back together with plumbers tape, mix up you cement and pour in. Then you got some skulls or pumpkins (for a Halloween project)

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-11-03 17:48 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-04 08:54 am   Permalink

Hey Unkle John, the rebar is a good idea. Since I'm gonna stick mine onto a cement block wall with more mortar mix, I didn't feel the re-inforcement was needed.

I like your Halloween skull idea too!
Yea, a little vaseline inside the "mold" isn't a bad insurance policy either.
I'll post some pix, when I get this project a bit farther along.

Kelly

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-04 10:11 am   Permalink

My cousin made a bunch of tikis molded in cement from a party store decoration few years ago. I have one with the rebar and it's made it outside winter after winter without a problem. My sister has a couple without the rebar and all it took was a little nudge forward and they broke in half. Rebar is the way to go but the broken ones look cool coming out of the flower bed too.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 08:36 am   Permalink

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'm sticking this here:

Staples (yes, Staples) has framed art on clearance for $14.90. Including this beauty.

Hurry and get yers.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Musubi Mom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-11 4:01 pm   Permalink

Really enjoyed seeing that other people think the tikis make great molds.I have been making the concrete Tikis for a few years. I use a box of wet sand instead of making a wood box to hold the mold. I also use a cooking spray as a release for the mold. My mix of portland or riverside cement, peat moss and vermulite makes the tikis a lot lighter. It can also give the tikis a more rock type finish. I use rebar drilled into the bottoms to make them stand up in the garden. Here is a pic of my tiki guys.

View Profile of Musubi Mom Send a personal message to Musubi Mom  Email Musubi Mom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalolo Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-22 5:07 pm   Permalink

Aww, man I'm going to do this tomorrow!! A little shop three buildings down sells these atrocious plastic tikis. I was turned off when I first saw 'em but now I can't wait to buy one!!

Musubi Mom- what ratio of cement, peat moss, and vermiculite did you use? Those look awesome!!

-Pakalolo Man

View Profile of Pakalolo Man Send a personal message to Pakalolo Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-23 5:41 pm   Permalink

Tiki on a budget! I can dig that! I'm working on a Tiki bar and we bought this cheap-o bar on Craigslist, found free bamboo half-rounds that had been torn off the outside of an old Pan-Asian restaurant and then came up with the idea of tiling the counter. Not just any tile - I've been printing up SHAG Tiki pics, resizing them to 4.25" x 4.25" and taking them to a local pottery painting place (you know, where you paint on bisque figurines or whatever). It's a family project; my daughter has done 1 so far, my husband has done 3 and I've done the rest. The picture here represents just the first few we have done.

P.S. My husband's is the "pickle" (top left) and my daughter's is the one with the leaf (bottom right).

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Musubi Mom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-23 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pakalolo man, the recipe is basically 1 part white cement to 2 to 3 parts something else. Sometimes I use just vermulite and sometimes peat moss and/or perlite. To fill up the mold with the legs it takes about 14 8oz cool whip bowls of the ingredients. Any mixture that dilutes the cement more than 5 to 1 gets too weak. It takes about 24 hours to set up enough to remove from the mold. Use a board about the tiki size and flip the mold over. The first couple of days you can chisel the lines deeper and wash gently with a brush and water to expose the vermulite. Leave the tiki laying on the board for a week or two. Curing takes about 4 weeks and can be done in a bucket of water to make the concrete stronger.

View Profile of Musubi Mom Send a personal message to Musubi Mom  Email Musubi Mom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:01 am   Permalink

Musubi mom, those are so cool! I'm definitely going to try it... and I have a couple of those molds already. Can you tell us from left to right on your pic of the 5 tikis which product you mixed with to get each color? I really like the dark one (peat moss?), and my wife really likes the orange one.

Dave

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 10:05 am   Permalink

Looked around a little bit and found some forums on something called "hypertufa". Is this the same thing- the cement/peat/vermiulite mix?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Musubi Mom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-24 10:47 am   Permalink

Hi Davez, yes the recipe is hypertufa. There is a lot of info out on the web. To get the various colors I used concrete color powder in black, tan and adobe. It only takes about 3 -4 tablespoons of powder to get the colors in the pic.You can also paint the finished tiki with any water based craft paint then seal with a concrete sealer. The tikis I painted 5 years ago still look great. The peat moss doesn't add much color it just makes the mix an off white color. From the left is tan, adobe, black, no color and not enough black powder.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation