FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
FroggieTiki

Posted: 2006-08-10 8:40 pm   Permalink

In rural Louisiana, tiki is rare in any form...even the cheesy plastic bargin store stuff is hard to find. I'm *slowly* building a collection of 'real' carvings and mugs (and trying my hand at carving), but it's also fun to rework the cheap stuff into something useable. Here are my first two attempts:

Plastic flaming Tiki from Big Lots ($5.99 on clearance):

After a basecoat of plastic primer and some granite spray paint:

Resin Target Tiki ($8.00 on clearance):

FroggieTiki

View Profile of FroggieTiki Send a personal message to FroggieTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 9:06 pm   Permalink

Wow! The Flaming Big Lots Tiki wins the award for most improved upon!

That original blue color turned me off to buying one when my Big Lots had them.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-11 07:06 am   Permalink

Terrific job, Froggie!!
What a super idea for a great effect!

Oh man, they had those nasty blue and purple plastic flaming tiki heads on sale here and I waltzed right on by....aGHHHHH, now I wish I'd bought about 5 of them! Dam!

LavaLounger

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-11 07:56 am   Permalink

Flame on really like that big lots piece!!!!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FroggieTiki

Posted: 2006-08-11 10:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks, glad you all like the plastic tiki remake! I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the purple flaming tiki while they were on clearance (d'oh!). They're made to be stacked into a flaming tiki totem pole. Oh well, maybe next year...

View Profile of FroggieTiki Send a personal message to FroggieTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 12:35 am   Permalink

I'll have a go.

The hanging lamps were actually woven waste paper baskets I purchased at the local dollar store ($1 ea. of course). I then also purchased tap lights at the same store (same price), attached to the bottom of the baskets with sticky back velcro. A small package of sticky back will run around $2, but can cover at least two lights. If you're budget conscious and also plan to hang multiple lights, I recommend the 10ft. (if memory serves) package. Then there was the twine, which set me back about $3-$4 for 100 (if memory serves) feet.

Oh and batteries=$2 each light.

The lights pictured ran me about $5 each. I bought some extra, which I plan to try a mini fish trap light, in the future.

Positives: Since the lights are battery powered, they can be hung anywhere and don't require any wiring. They throw off a decent amount of light and seemed to be an effective answer to "down and dirty, yet cheap" tiki lighting.

Negatives:
-Don't buy your tap lights at the dollar store! You'll notice that one of the lights is dark. In all, I made about 8 lights and each lasted a different length of time. Some lasted the entire party (6 hours). A few seemed to use the batteries up faster (3-4 hours) and some actually burnt out after an hour or so (meaning the light bulb burnt out). Problem with the burnt out bulbs is that the bulbs were welded into the sockets. It's actually cheaper and faster to buy extra lights than to try and replace the bulb.
-Batteries. I found that "normal" power consumption ran about 4 hours. That's great if the party is only that length of time, but a hassle if you have to take the time to change out batteries. Plus it does disrupt the illusion for a bit. Cost is also a major factor. If you're going to go with this style of lighting, don't use dollar store batteries (maybe an hour or two if your lucky), but rather purchase the big bulk packages of namebrand or use rechargeable batteries (assuming you've purchased these kind of batteries for another item, like a camera).
-"Life" of the lights. With the one exception pictured, all of my lights functioned acceptably for my first party; however, most died within 2-3 hours of my second party. The batteries were fresh, but the bulbs had just reached the end of their short life span.

Recommendation: I still would advise this style of lighting for parties on a budget and if you have an aversion to wiring lighting (like me). I would recommend that you purchase the usually more reliable $3-$4 tap lights at your local Target, Wally World, etc. I'm not sure, but you may even be able to change the bulbs in those versions. I use rechargeable batteries and have a 20-minute charger for my camera, so I think I'll be purchasing more rechargeable batteries over the next year.

Hope that helps.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ This Message was edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-08-12 00:39 ]

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 01:42 am   Permalink

Great work!

Another cool thing about "Tiki Lighting" is that it's okay to be dim! In fact, it's preferred! So inexpensive (and less dangerous for those of us who really shouldn't be playing with electricity and Mai-Tais at the same time) battery powered lights fit the bill.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-12 07:36 am   Permalink

Here we have a small tiki bar built from Ikea shelving, fabric covered plywood for the walls, mounted on wheels since it was built for a small apartment. Yes I know the masks are not tiki but I thought they worked and added light up eyes. The lamp on the left was made from a chipped mug and I added some cheap coasters to the lampshade.

Top of the bar once again not 100% tiki but who can resist pin-up girls and this one is definitely tiki.

Outdoor fountain picked up on sale at target, concrete moai heads and broken salt shaker added and plants which I think will continue to cover it and add to it. I am sure that more will be added to this one just don't know what.

Currently making a covering for my small fridge so that cold beverages can be consumed outside. Beer may not be tiki but damn it's good. Will post when i have something to show.

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 12:31 pm   Permalink

Nice improvisation!

I especially like the lamp.

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 12:35 pm   Permalink

great work and creativity by all. i'm really enjoying this thread.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 5:14 pm   Permalink

I just found this thread, I find it very interesting. Keep those pictures coming, I love how you have changed the actual pieces to something so different and great looking. There should be a book on this subject matter, "Creating tiki on a budget".

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 7:29 pm   Permalink

Wow, you're like Marquesian Stewart. I am all about doing this stuff for as cheap as possible.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 9:44 pm   Permalink

Here's a trick that everyone probably knows already, but there's a nice story that goes with it.

Upon our first visit with a realtor to the house we bought, we considered it a good omen that the only piece of furniture left from previous owners was the table seen below, and now it sits in the middle of our Tiki Lounge, the longest occupant currently living in our house!

I printed out a bunch of postcards from the computer and placed them under glass and a Scorpian bowl.

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-14 21:47 ]

kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 04:18 am   Permalink

Regarding lighting that doesn't require electrical wiring, I saw where people were using glow sticks inside paper lanterns for a big lantern festival in Canada. It looked great in the photos.

Being a tightwad by necessity, I'm really enjoying this thread. Believe me, if I had any spare cash at all, I'd be filling my house with the works of all the phenomenally talented Tiki Central artists.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 11:07 pm   Permalink

I like your use of imagery for the table Granite. Very cheap and very clever.

Regarding using glow sticks for tiki lighting. I like your idea, kctiki, especially since it takes the light and battery elements out of play.

I must admit that I don't have much experience with glow sticks, so when the local dollar stores in my area start carying them (should be around Halloween), I'll have to pick up a few and try it.

[ This Message was edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-08-16 23:40 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation