FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 06:55 am   Permalink

Good stuff, Granite. Very creative.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ivanchan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 07:38 am   Permalink

Some great ideas!

I think where there's a will, there's a way--some of us use paintings (like moi) and others take up carving ourselves to create things that we can't afford to buy. Altering what we do buy (like with the granite spray paint) is great.

Mother Necessity!

I.

Ivan Chan Studio: Invite Beauty
http://ivanchan.com

View Profile of ivanchan Send a personal message to ivanchan  Goto the website of ivanchan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-16 07:38, ivanchan wrote:
Some great ideas!

I think where there's a will, there's a way--some of us use paintings (like moi) and others take up carving ourselves to create things that we can't afford to buy. Altering what we do buy (like with the granite spray paint) is great.

Mother Necessity!

I.

Don't be carving yourselves! LOL Sorry - I can't help but find humor in everything!

[ This Message was edited by: beadtiki 2008-04-16 15:41 ]

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 10:32 am   Permalink

This is MadDogMike's project from his post Tiki Pitcher.

MadDogMike's original post:

There is a plastic pitcher at Party City and several other places (previously mentioned in different threads). I bought one for $8 but it was just too ugly to bring to the table! I painted it tan (outside only) with the spray paint for plastic, then wtbrushed brown acrylic paint over it and wiped off the excess. When it's dry, I'll give it a clear coat spray. I doubt that it will be (dishwasher) safe but it should be OK to handwash.

Here is before and after, it won't win any awards but it's better than nuthin'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the liberty of re-posting MadDogMike project here because the Tiki-On-A-Budget thread is a an excellent resource. I like seeing all the good low cost ideas together.

MadDogMike's project came off real well and is a good example of what can be done with all the craptacular Teekeeee-Parteeee! stuff out there.

It'd be really easy to hit one of these Teekeeee-Parteeee! decorations with a fake wood grain on top of the base coat. It's a skill even the most clueless TV makeover show participant can master so should be a piece of coconut cake for folks as wonderful as ourselves.

For the extra lazy (such as yours truly) a well sprayed coating of rattle can flat black can work wonders on the lousiest Teekeeee-Parteeee! decoration or poorly carved piece from the Phillipines.

The paint technique MadDogMike used is a simple one that can yield excellent results. It works well on furniture too, and can give instant age to some ugly or plain pieces. (In the late 60s-70s it was called "antiquing'. Usually a wood stain wash was used over the base color and the technique was responsible for ruining many actual antiques.)

"Natural" paint tones work great, but there's lots of combinations to consider. Black over deep colors looks great. Fluorescent base colors with a black wash can have that high priced low brow look.

I use this this technique when I paint my original pieces. I usually use a black wash over the base color, like this piece:

A white/off white wash over black or gray can yield an aged stone appearance:

(Both of these swell photos were posted by Selector Lopaka.)

Speaking of Tiki-On-A-Budget: Like most my Stuff & Junk Like That these pieces were made with thrift store found materials and inexpensive craft acrylics. The savings are passed on to YOU!

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 1:46 pm   Permalink

$7 bag of shell necklaces from the thrift store...

...turns into a window valance.

MrsHoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2008-05-04 6:26 pm   Permalink

Hey that shell window valence is dabomb Mr/Mrs. What a fabulous idea and I'll bet the filtered light is really nice!!! Great job.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 6:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks Vamp!

MrsHoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 03:13 am   Permalink

Ahh, it's Spring and the Tiki-On-A-Budget thread has been reactivated with fresh creativity! Nice stuff!

Back when I went on my first Big Lots/Dollar Tree etc. Spring Shopping spree where I found that Dollar Tree Hula Girl (in the above cigar box uke)I also stumbled upon this at Big Lots.

It's about 8 inches wide, what do you think I plan to do with it?
(keep it clean pappy)

When I finally get to it, I'll post pics. (still searching Tiki Central for other similar projects for "raw ingredients")

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-05 03:13, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Ahh, it's Spring and the Tiki-On-A-Budget thread has been reactivated with fresh creativity! Nice stuff!

Back when I went on my first Big Lots/Dollar Tree etc. Spring Shopping spree where I found that Dollar Tree Hula Girl (in the above cigar box uke)I also stumbled upon this at Big Lots.

(keep it clean pappy)

Ooh! Ooh! {wildly waves hand in air}

Make a puffer fish thing?

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 12:40 pm   Permalink

Exactamundo!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

(keep it clean pappy)

I can't help it. Too much Beavis and Butthead as a kid.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-06 08:23 am   Permalink

I was too cheap to spend $400 for a tropical-themed ceiling fan (top picture)for my "lanai" so I stenciled tikis on the fan blades of a $30 fan instead (bottom picture). It was white, I painted it hammered copper instead, the fan blades are ABS plastic (avail at Lowe's) so they don't warp outside.

Now what do I do with the ugly white $10 light fixture? A burlap band around the sides? Faux stained glass hibiscus? A grass hula skirt?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 08:50 am   Permalink

I like your tiki fan much better then the tropical themed fan! It looks super great!

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 09:33 am   Permalink

Great idea MadDogMike. For the light you could buy a wicker basket (our thrift store always has tons of them)cut a hole in the bottom and mount it over the light for a lamp shade. You could decorate the shade with shells, tapa fabric or what ever.

MrsHoptiki

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-05 1:23 pm   Permalink

10 wood bordered plates, dollar store - $10
Red & brown air dry ceramic paint, Michael's - $6
Mini Tiki stencil, WalMart clearance rack - $4
Having a set of personalized Tiki dinner plates - Priceless

EDIT - The Delta Air Dry PermEnamel didn't work for me, it washed off. I didn't do the prep step, maybe I should have

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-10-05 19:33 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation