FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-11 16:31, Tiki Zen wrote:

Glued to the board and then finished with bartop coating.

Hey, is "bartop coating" a special kind of stuff or just varathane or something? (I'm working on a bar)

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki 2008-07-20 21:24 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 10:48 am   Permalink

It is two-part epoxy that you mix and pour. It is largely self-leveling, but you have to help it spread around a bit. There are several brands, and you can probably find some in the paint department of your local big-box building supply place where they stock the polyurethane products.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 12:22 pm   Permalink

thanks.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 1:37 pm   Permalink

I believe the bar top coating is called EZ Pour or something close to that, do a search for it on here.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

I needed some sort of cooler to ice down extra beer for big parties. A friend salvaged this rolling cooler/display from a convenience store that went out of business:

Tiki-fied with some reed fencing, rope and shellac:

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Zen 2008-07-21 13:40 ]

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 2:30 pm   Permalink

That looks really nice, TikiZen.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 7:26 pm   Permalink

Ditto. Nice work!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-21 8:11 pm   Permalink

Wow fugu...that is really nice...great idea and well done.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 9:09 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone, I had a project that I kind of made on the cheap and I wanted to share it with everyone since it was fairly simple.

I had some extra parts lying around so I wanted to make a tiki bar.

Here is what I came up with.

I made it with mostly spare parts and street finds.

Item----------How I acquired it--------------------------------------------Cost

Bookcase------found on the street------------------------------------------free
Googy top-----freebie on craigslist some guy was remodeling----------------free
tiki fabric---1 yard at fabric store on sale-------------------------------$5.00
bamboo--------mostly grows outside, but I had to purchase a few---------$2.00
stain---------I got the stain for free, but I will say I used $2 worth-----$2.00
casters-------yard sale----------------------------------------------------$2.00
bottle shelf--scrap piece which I routered---------------------------------free
black drainer-1ft. Worth at OSH--------------------------------------------$2.00
tiki mask-----bought at Tiki Farm event (still learning to carve my own)---$25.00
Wooden edging Iron on laminate----OSH--------------------------------------$6.00
Rubber edging---Old flat bike inner tube cleaned, cut and glued----------free
Barstools-----Yard sale- covered with remaining fabric---------------------$5.00
assorted glues and hardware Shelf supports, bolts for the top,
glue gun sticks, sealant, sandpaper,staples--------------------------------$5.00

The total was $54.00 in costs

The top is removeable with 3 bolts and the bottle shelf on the bottom will hold the larger bottles.

Here are a few more pix.

It's not perfect, but for about $50 I have a tiki bar.
I may try to sell it on Craigslist or something.

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, let me know.

Just added on 9-18-08

Woo hoo, I sold it on Craigslist for a fair profit.

[ This Message was edited by: geedavee 2008-09-18 20:56 ]

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 9:43 pm   Permalink

Fantastic!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
readyfortheweekend

Posted: 2008-07-23 11:29 am   Permalink

CHECK OUT THIS SIGN I BUILT OUT OF OLD FAN BLADES AND AN OLD FENCE BOARD!

[ This Message was edited by: readyfortheweekend 2008-07-23 11:32 ]

View Profile of readyfortheweekend Send a personal message to readyfortheweekend      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 3:42 pm   Permalink

There's some great stuff happening here. I like the improvising and improvement that is going on, great. I saw this product and thought I would share it here, as I am sure someone will find a use for it.

Tiki Adhesive Tape

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I like the idea of the routered bottle-holes - good to keep the things from being drunkenly toppled all the time (lots of "Oops." around my bar).

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 07:41 am   Permalink

I think this is a great topic, lots of creative thinking and great results being shared.

I always wanted a cool hat, but my gourd is just too big for most baseball caps (7-7/8 hat size). I soon learned that "one size fits all" really means "one size fits everyone but you". So I went to my local sporting goods store (Big 5 here in Los Angeles) and found a straw sun hat for $6.95. Well within my budget. I took it home, scribbled some with a Sharpie and dabbed a bit of acrylic paint on it. I found a terrible shirt at the thrift store for $1.98 and cut a swath of material from it.

I am by no means a tailor, so it was hot glue to the rescue to apply the cloth around the hat. I already had the glue gun from a sock puppet project, so there was no cost there. When I needed the glue gun though, I went to Big Lots and purchased it for $2.80. A small package of glue sticks was $0.80. I wasn't sure what to do with the bunched material going around the hat, but you can hardly notice it in the proper tiki-esque lighting.

I was thinking about cutting the brim a tad with a pair of scissors to give it a distressed look, but I am unsure if the final results will look right. I will probably clear-coat the whole thing matte as well since acrylics are water-based. I hope that gives some ideas to folks.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MinnesotaChef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-26 8:07 pm   Permalink

100 Tikis for free:

Go a carpet retail outlet and get an empty cardboard tube that they roll the carpet around. They usually give them away when you ask.

Cut it into the desired length/ hieght. If you're really ambitious, you could cut them lengthwise in half for mini masks.

Get carving with a dremel or X-Acto knife.

The cardboard is thick enough to allow for some relief carving and hold up to quite a bit of abuse. Its paintable and if you mess up, what does it cost you?

The resulting tiki can be used as hurricanes for candles, lamp covers, centerpieces,pencil holders, coaster holders or whatever.

View Profile of MinnesotaChef Send a personal message to MinnesotaChef  Email MinnesotaChef     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation