FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-29 05:19 am   Permalink

Okay, in one of the most ironic posts on TC, Im posting a signed Shag print in the tiki on a budget thread

I got this invite to a Shag exhibition at Outre gallery here in Oz. So a mate suggests I take that in and get it signed - cool idea! So i got it signed (and bought his book and got that signed too).

So I decided the best thing to do was frame it. So i bought a standard frame from a discount store, made up my own matting (from the stationary supplies store) and made this - a Shag print, personally signed by Shag, for like $15 all up

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-29 05:59 am   Permalink

Nice one Hewey, great job!

Quote:
So I decided the best thing to do was frame it. So i bought a standard frame from a discount store, made up my own matting (from the stationary supplies store) and made this - a Shag print, personally signed by Shag, for like $15 all up

Now that is classic "Tiki on a Budget"!

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-29 6:33 pm   Permalink

Here's another, a mate brought me back some items from Trader Vic's So there's a postcard, serviette, business card and an information card. Throw in some black cardboard as a backing, arrange them so they look okay, more easy cheap tiki art

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 01:52 am   Permalink

As I've said before I always like to see low cost solutions that don't look cheap.

A couple of great projects from Tiki Kupcake which she posted
HERE

Good use of one of those cheesy boat shelves:

And here's an excellent transformation of an ordinary shelf:

I really like Tiki Kupcake's use of the fabric covered panels which is a technique one could also use on a boring door or on a wall which you either can't or don't want to change permanently.

And speaking of the impermanent:

Tiki Cupcake said "I do not own my own home yet and can't do the full tiki bar like I want to...Until then, I have a little tiki corner in the house and work on projects for when I do finally have my home tiki bar."

The use of the net and the inexpensive hula skirt trim are two more nice ideas for situations where something permanent isn't an option. A securely mounted net would also gives more display options as just about anything can be hung in the net.

Another good point: If you can't create your dream Tiki environment right now then at least work on projects you'll be able to use in the future.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 08:34 am   Permalink

Thanks, woofmutt! I have a lot of fun transforming items I find on the cheap. All I did for those panels was cut cardboard to fit, cover it with tacky glue, wrap the fabric around the cardboard, and then glued the panels with more tacky glue to the book shelf. That was if I wanted to use the shelf or panels somewhere else I could easily rip them off with out ruining the fabric. I've had that shelf since I was two and it's gone through many transformations. I think it's finally found it's rightful purpose. I've done a bunch of these projects and will post more pictures soon.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 2:44 pm   Permalink

Here's another project I did real cheap and real quick. The bamboo frame was some kind of candle holder where the candles were just placed on the center tray part. I found it and the mask both at the GoodWill. Again, I covered cardboard with glue and then covered it with the leopard fabric. Glued the board into the bamboo tray making it look like a frame. Glued the mask on to the fabric.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 11:15 am   Permalink

Just a timely reminder ... rather than throwing out last year's Tiki Daze Calendar ... take it apart and frame your favorite monthly graphics for tiki art on the cheap! Or maybe cut out individual motifs from the pages, using an exacto knife, and decoupage them onto a bar top, table top, or serving tray.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 10:50 am   Permalink

this ceiling fixture cost me 2 dollars ( well 4 dollars I bought 2)
the local DOLLERAMA had these baskets and trays and they fit together ....just cut a whole in the bottom and pulled the bulb through WHALA! I used those curly floresent bulbs cause they dont heat like regular bulbs so there is no chance of the basket igniting !

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-01-09 10:51 ]

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 10:58 am   Permalink

Nice lamp. Its stupid cheap. Kinda looks like a tiki's tiki

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gooberfreek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-30 1:41 pm   Permalink

Hey guy's just a little note to say that I found a great website www.sailorjerry.com, click on the word MUSIC then scroll down to where it says SWAG & MORE and then that gives you access to an archive of Sailor Jerry free downloads!!! Great to print off and frame...there are a few hula girls available to download for free and other nautical/tattoo inspired designs...here's one I made earlier as they say on Blue Peter...lol

Isn't she lovely???

My work is done...now scatter...

View Profile of Gooberfreek Send a personal message to Gooberfreek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-30 7:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Gooberfreek thanks for sharing that link... great idea.

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 10:00 pm   Permalink

Very Cool Gooberfreek!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 10:06 am   Permalink

Here's a way to cover those fugly recessed can lights, on the cheap...Big ass drink umbrellas!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30989&forum=18&start=last&25
(scroll to the bottom of the thread )

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gooberfreek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-31 10:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-30 19:22, sasquatch wrote:
Hey Gooberfreek thanks for sharing that link... great idea.

My pleasure sasquatch, I think its a cool website, some great stuff on there...

View Profile of Gooberfreek Send a personal message to Gooberfreek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 09:46 am   Permalink

hewey - I've noticed Shag exhibits in OZ surprisingly often - very nice. I'd really like to do that some day.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation