FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-15 09:28 am   Permalink

Curiosity got the best of me, and for less that $10 I ordered one of these mask kits. If you are looking for an impressive wall-hanging - this isn't for you. That said if you are looking for some craft ideas this isn't that bad. The down-side is that the finished piece is only about 4-1/2" tall. It looks like it could be a nice little addition to your collection, but unless your walls are bare......not a standout.

It's pro-side is that can give you some ideas as to how to do your own designs. This kit is made from balsa wood, some jute cord for trim, white glue(Elmer's), and a few pieces colored chalk. Although wood would be the best, I could see similar results with cardboard, Foam-core, etc. There are other ideas like this in this thread that are worth checking out as well.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-15 09:39 am   Permalink

Fun thread, we looked at every page. The fan you show has a Marquesas macrame bead on the handle. We have a bunch of those and that's the best use we have seen. Framing cards of events works well too. Good ideas, thank you, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 4:43 pm   Permalink

Time for summer projects. I'm going to use that leopard print fabric idea on my old lava lamp. Share Share Share

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 12:05 pm   Permalink

New Guinea Style Coconut Mask for under $10:

Materials:
- 1 Coconut cut in half and painted
- 1 Woven leather belt from the thrift store for the nose
- Raffia from the craft store for fringe

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-24 1:48 pm   Permalink

Very cool idea Fugu, I'm gonna make me one of those. Thanks!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-06 9:04 pm   Permalink

Rum Bottle Tiki Torches

Quick, simple, and cheap (about $5) - my kinda project. I used a Kraken rum bottle that I netted. The first 2 pictures are missing the copper coupling that holds the wick

My Lowe's had the split ring (bottle holder) in copper but only had the mounting flange in iron, so I spray painted it hammered vintage copper. If you could find both parts in copper, you could cover the threaded rod in a short piece of copper pipe ~ it would all weather to a nice patina.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 4:44 pm   Permalink

Love the Kraken lantern! Very cool idea.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 5:29 pm   Permalink

Mike, let me know if you need help in the future making more of those Kraken Lamps
I can help you prep (empty) them for mounting?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-27 12:17 pm   Permalink

I'm really digging this thread.

When I get to work full force on the bar, I'll have quite a bit to contribute! Thanks for what all I've seen so far.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:11 pm   Permalink

Seating is important for an outdoor tiki area. Plastic/resin patio furniture is readily available, inexpensive, durable, comfortable, and BORING!!!!
Anyone ever try to spice it up somehow? Like some sort of apply and wipe off finish that would give a woodgrain effect or some other sort of texturing looks? Seems the "Fusion" type spray paint for plastic would dry too fast but maybe wiping it with a coarse rag and paint thinner might work? I wonder if wood stain would penetrate enough to be permanent.
If you have any advice, please post IMMEDIATELY! I just bought new furniture and I'm headed outside NOW to experiment with the old stuff

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 3:12 pm   Permalink

Mike,

I would experiment with a wood tone base coat then brush on a wood grain pattern, like furniture refinishers do sometimes. The question is which would work better, a light base coat and dark highlights, or dark base coat and light highlights? Dry-brush or wet-brush technique?

The biggest problem I imagine would be getting a paint to actually adhere to the plastic chair and not eventually flake off.

I'm thinking if anyone can come up with a solution, it's you. You're so crafty.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 5:10 pm   Permalink

And, Mike, before you invite your guest to have a seat in your spiffy new faux-wood stained plastic patio set, you might ought to sit in them, yourself, in some old white pants and shirt. Just sayin'...

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-02 08:46 am   Permalink

Bear, thanks for the encouragement
Limbo, good point!

Not sure I can call this a success yet but I'll keep working on it, right now it just looks dirty . Chairs are cheap ($11) so I bought an extra to play with. I knew getting paint to stick to plastic would be difficult so I got Krylon Fusion spray which is supposed to be formulated for plastic, I started with a tan chair. I tried a few methods;
1 - Spray on a light to medium coat the wipe it with a cloth and turpentine. Not so great, especially on the smooth untextured areas of the chair
2 - Dip the brush in turpentine, wipe off the excess then spray THE BRUSH with paint and brush on the chair. Worked fair
3 - Spray on a light coat and brush with turpentine. That worked fair too. Maybe a combination of all three will give a decent effect?

Krylon recently introduced Fusion brush on paint for plastic, maybe I could thin it and brush it on. I'll need to see if I can find it in my area.

In the meantine, I will touch this chair up a bit, let it dry and use it for a month or two to see what happens.

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-02 10:41 am   Permalink

It looks better. Maybe do the fake lattice portion in a lighter khaki to make it look like real rattan thatch on a darker chair.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-02 4:25 pm   Permalink

I have taken an ubiquitous $11 plastic chair and turned it into a work of art! Well, maybe not

I started with a fresh chair and used wood stain this time. 1 part Minwax walnut wood stain to 4 parts paint thinner (turpentine) and dry brushed it on. Once it dries I'll see if it actually penetrated to plastic or if it rubs off

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation