FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-11 1:11 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-11 3:34 pm   Permalink

They look great.
The globes are what is hard to find and what costs the most when making these lights.

You made these as cheap as you could ever hope to find the parts to make them with.

Good job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-11 3:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

And yeah, I lucked out big time with both globes. Retail prices for these things are crazy!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-11 8:26 pm   Permalink

I thought about making a new thread for this, but I suppose it kinda fits the tiki-on-a-budget theme.

Sometimes you sit down to record and realize that, you just don't have an instrument or even a household object that makes the sound you hear in your head. In this case finding that sound came down to building an
Ipu Heke:

Start with two clean, large dried gourds. Ideally one should be rather tall. These were not exactly ideal gourds.

Slice off the top of the larger gourd. This becomes the base. The other gourd has holes cut in both ends, such that one end fits tightly over the mouth of the first gourd. Clean out the seeds and papery membrane.

Glue the two gourds together. I found I needed a form to hold them in place while drying.

Once dry and cured, tie a decorative cord around the neck as a handle. In this case, I finally found a use for those honor cords that have done jack squat for me since graduation.

If desired, the Ipu can be sanded and sealed, and decorated either by carving into the skin, or painting.

You Ipu is now ready to play!

Total cost for gourds: $6 at a fall flea market.
Gorilla wood glue and cord: on hand.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-12 1:20 pm   Permalink

Well done! Very cool

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-09-12 1:50 pm   Permalink

BamBam I have three big gourds like that that I bought a couple years ago. Two days ago I got one out and plan to make a lamp from it. Waiting for my Muse to bring me design inspiration

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation