FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 6:51 pm   Permalink

Great thread and even better ideas!

I don't know if you have a Dollar Tree store nearby, but they have some small tiki figures (at least they did about a month ago). Suprisingly fun ones, too. Obviously at the low low price of a buck each.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-26 18:51, Capt'n Skully wrote:

I don't know if you have a Dollar Tree store nearby, but they have some small tiki figures (at least they did about a month ago). Suprisingly fun ones, too. Obviously at the low low price of a buck each.

Ours had them last year and I picked up about 20. They are indeed surprisingly good for $1. It's a good idea to use some "fun tack" on the bottom, since they apparently break easily if they hit the ground.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 4:29 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to a pre-Tiki-On-A-Budget thread that ZuluMagoo posted regarding a great project involving those Dollar Tree Tikis

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16021&forum=2&hilite=wreck%20kona'

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-27 16:32 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 9:53 pm   Permalink

I was at my local superstore ( big grocery store of crap) and they had thier cheap tiki torches on sale. Now at $1.98 regular price they a good bargin. But at clearance of 96 cents I stocked up.
I cut the tops of them and then split the bamboo to use as trim on the bar I am building.
For those on a budget or that have a hard time finding Bamboo this is a good way to go.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 08:47 am   Permalink

Considering what bamboo of that diameter generally goes for, your idea sounds great.

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 10:31 pm   Permalink

Good call on the bamboo poles rodeotiki! Any problems with the quality?

And thanks for pointing out that link, Granite Tiki- That is a good usage.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 06:38 am   Permalink

Don't forget to make your "float lights" out of Garden gazing balls. Now's the time to pick them up cheap at the end of the year clearance sales. I like to choose the more clear mouth blown type, but pick what you like. Then pick up a single corded light like they use at Christmas in the light up towns and clip that into the opening on the ball. and then stick the whole thing inside a basketball net. Use a one of those circle thingies that you slide your keys on to close the bottom of the net and tie up the top with a little more cording and hang. I have also used a piece of cut up fish netting from a party store to wrap around the globe. I imagine you could also drop in a glow stick if you don't have a handy plug in around.
Here's my old post.Hopefully this link will work
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14794&forum=18

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 06:50 am   Permalink

A very interesting thread. I started out very cheap making almost all my own original decor. (float lamps, bar, shields, etc. )As I had the extra money I was able to weed out some of my home made attempts and replace them with either vintage goods or quality made items from the many artist here or over on the Fraternal Order of Moai board or some of the other fab. websites out in cyber space.
This place and others like it are great for sharing info and to learn.
It may take me a life time to complete my lounge to the dream I have, but in the mean time it still gets the idea across and most importantly we all have a good time here.
Be creative and enjoy your space!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 06:50, exotica59 wrote:

It may take me a life time to complete my lounge to the dream I have, but in the mean time it still gets the idea across and most importantly we all have a good time here.

Someone recently said something to me about how she loves my tiki room even though I don't think it's good enough. I had to set her straight and tell her I love my tiki room--I just consider it a work in progress. I will be working on it forever. Collecting and making stuff to go in it are as much a part of the experience for me as drinking mai tais and listening to Martin Denny.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 3:17 pm   Permalink

Excellent suggestions on the lighted floats! Thanks also for supplying the link.

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 08:46 am   Permalink

Bumping in the hopes that someone will want to comment.

velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 11:13 am   Permalink

I will. In the last few weeks we've made two swag lamps out of Dollar Tree wicker trash cans, covered the bases of two lava lights with leopard fabric (thanks to everyone for the ideas!) and we've taken some leopard fabric and bamboo and are in the midst of covering the bottom parts of two screen doors with it (the bamboo is what's holding it onto the doors). Here are some recent lamps:

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 11:43 pm   Permalink

I really like your work Velveteenlounge! I had some ideas about coloring the tap lights (either marker or an opaque paint), but didn't and now I'm not only more inclined towards converting my lamps to electric, but to trying the colored bulbs.

I hope you post pics of the screen door project. Sounds interesting.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-15 7:19 pm   Permalink

Nice job. Work keeps getting in the way of my budget tiki work.

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 7:58 pm   Permalink

Here's one more--the lava lamp/fabric idea I cribbed from Dogbytes:

Target is blowing out the lava lamps they were pushing for back-to-school, so I got them half price. They might still have some.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation