FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-16 12:27 pm   Permalink

The Lava lamps are very very cool! Heading to target!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-16 9:25 pm   Permalink

Me too...^^^^^^^^^

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
smiling gecko

Posted: 2006-10-03 10:05 am   Permalink

The "Smiling Gecko Bar", Okinawa, Japan. OK, I guess this isn't as elaborate or "Tiki-fied" as some of the awesome bars on the forum, but it's mine and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I built this with an old metal and fabric bar that I salvaged from someone's garbage, and about $30 worth of bamboo from the local Do-It-Yourself store. It's a work in progress. I'm looking for some tiki carvings, but they're a little hard to come by in Japan.
Ugly original bar (No wonder they threw it away!)
Complete (for now)Side view
Complete (for now)Front view
More to come...
Next I plan to install a bamboo awning from the roof of the house. Any other ideas/suggestions are welcome!

View Profile of smiling gecko Send a personal message to smiling gecko  Email smiling gecko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

That's very cool work!

My outdoor bar was very similar before I doctored it up, you did a much more pro looking job!

http://www.carlayotte.accountsupport.com/Tiki%20Concerns/ZOutdoor9.JPG

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-10-03 12:28 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 1:26 pm   Permalink

I always like to find a deal. I have a thing for things that are 75% off. I was in a bargain chain store looking for tiki.
Since the tiki seasons only lasts a few months, I like to hunt when a new season approaches.
Found two of these blue party tikis that have the wind opperated faux fire device for $7 each.
Rattle can and dremel, I now have four tiki maasks and two fake flames.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 2:54 pm   Permalink

My thread about the Lava Lounge Grotto would fit in this thread.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21239&forum=18&13

It might have cost a total of $150 to put that whole thing together. I think less. It's just that I had to buy a lot of that insulation foam, and the fountain cost about $50.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 7:44 pm   Permalink

I clumsily knocked over this cheapo tiki that I picked up at Big Lots last year and after I patched and primered it I painted it gloss black then gutted a lamp for the top and viola tiki lamp.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 12:48 pm   Permalink

JenTiki just gave us a great idea in the calendar thread that bigbrotiki put up. And since we're coming to the end of the year, a lot of us probably have Hawaiian or Tiki calendars with great art work on them (I know I do) no need to throw them away!
This is the perfect chance to attempt the Bamboo frame on-a-budget that Eleio the fleet posted earlier in this thread!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-10-15 12:52 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
konakenny

Posted: 2006-11-07 4:32 pm   Permalink

I made this a few years back from a couple 5-gallon buckets and some paper mache. Spray paint with stone finish. I'm going to use a concrete form and some cardboard for my next one - by my front door. Part of my winter project list.

View Profile of konakenny Send a personal message to konakenny  Goto the website of konakenny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
smiling gecko

Posted: 2006-11-12 04:45 am   Permalink

T

[ This Message was edited by: smiling gecko 2006-11-12 16:23 ]

View Profile of smiling gecko Send a personal message to smiling gecko  Email smiling gecko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-20 10:21 am   Permalink

In an effort to keep this thread alive I present my own shrine to the tiki gods. You are seeing a cheese knife handle, pencil topper, and two bits of swizzle stick. The only real cost was the nicho box. What have some of the rest of you been working on.

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-21 09:38 am   Permalink

I'm definitely from the land of the unbright. The tikis from Big Lots sprayed with the granite is just sheer genius. I've seen the tikis and turned my nose up at them at Big Lots and I have used the spray granite to turn a modern lamp into something more Eames Era by creating a volcanic look. NEVER did I think of hitting the Big Lots stuff with a faux finish and repurposing them...and to think that I think I'm clever! This absolutely is a great thread.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-21 10:52 pm   Permalink

I finally got a chance to frame some pictures from a 2006 calendar using Eleio the fleet's step by step instructions. (back on page 3 of this thread)

Did it while watching the Patriots lose

If any of you have the calendar pictured below, you'll recognize the artwork I've just added to my Tiki Lounge!

The bigger of the three is roughly 11"/12 1/2"
The other two are roughly 9"/10 1/2"

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-01-21 23:08 ]

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 12:51 am   Permalink

Your portraits look excellent Granite! Thanks to both mzoltharp and you for keeping this thread alive. The snow in Denver has had my tiki spirit low, recently, but I'll make certain to post my next project here.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 03:01 am   Permalink

Nice, work, Granite. I got the 2007 Calendar (50 % off!) so I'll be trying that NEXT year.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation