FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Newbie Collector Invasion?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Newbie Collector Invasion?
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 10:14 pm   Permalink

Is it just me, or does it seem as if there has been a surge of newbie collectors buying up Tiki on Ebay?

It seems that there has recently been (in the past year or so) a lot of Ebayers with relatively low feedback counts, ponying up big bucks to buy even common mugs. For example, I purchsed two Hawaii Kai Moai mugs on Ebay about 2 years ago for $10.00 each.
This auction for the same mug is over $60.00.

We all know that Tiki has grown considerablly in popularity over the past 5+ years, but this recent surge seems to be particularly acute. It seems like price pressures on even routine stuff.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 10:17 pm   Permalink

They'll pay big bucks now, get tired of them in a year or so, and donate them to the thrift stores for us to find.

I'll be waiting!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 10:25 pm   Permalink

I know what you mean, the last Original Suffering Bastard Mug went for $216.00. It's almost tempting for me to put up some of my duplicate mugs and bowls right now. If these idiots are paying that much money for the more "common" mugs, not to mention those stupid Dollar Tree Tikis, they'll pay insane money for good vintage items. Guess it's kinda like selling a stock when it's hot.

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 05:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-08 22:17, Tikiwahine wrote:
They'll pay big bucks now, get tired of them in a year or so, and donate them to the thrift stores for us to find.

waaaaaahhhhhhh00000000000!!!!!! time to post more mugs and tiki stuff on ebay !!!! ...these newbies are gonna help fund my retirement plan........

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 3:04 pm   Permalink

I find it frustrating as a new collector (of mugs - I've been collecting Polynesain ephemera and art for several years), from a place where tiki mugs don't even exist. I'm sure a few were brought back to New Zealand over the years, but they never seem to show up. The suffering bastard is probably my absolute favourite design of all the classic mugs, and I've been watching those auctions with despair. With the prices they go for (plus air + packing to NZ, usually another $20 or more), I think I'll just keep spending my tiki budget on carvings and souvenir pieces from the islands (which are fairly plentiful here). At least there's a shop in NZ selling munktiki now!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 6:04 pm   Permalink

Hey Paipo.... Pm me if your interested in swoppin some mugs for Maori carvings,etc.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 7:27 pm   Permalink

hey paipo, i have a lot of traders, and like freddie i'm interested in maori art. i'm also interested in your stone pendants. check out my traders here: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=120&rep=yes&tag=for%20trade&show=80

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2006-08-09 19:32 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 7:38 pm   Permalink

cool, I like where this thread is going!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 8:44 pm   Permalink

Ah ! the power of a good swap ! I've always been SO much happier when that middle stuff (money!) is eliminated from the exchange (even thou I've been selling "stuff" for over thirty years ......something about the spirit of Tiki or at least Aloha is kindled......

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-10 12:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-08 22:25, vegastikidude wrote:
If these idiots are paying that much money for the more "common" mugs, not to mention those stupid Dollar Tree Tikis, they'll pay insane money for good vintage items. Guess it's kinda like selling a stock when it's hot.

reply:
This evening this item closed there was 2 avail.
Vintage Waikiki Washington DC Tiki mugs exc cond
Item number: 220013519944
Here are some of the "newbies" and/or so called idiots that bid
User ID Bid amount Quantity wanted Quantity winning Date of bid

alllblowedup( 48) US $255.99 1 1 Aug-09-06 19:00:12 PDT
edgeoftexas1( 1002) US $255.99** 2 1 Aug-09-06 19:00:11 PDT
bullettiki( 16) US $210.27 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:59:41 PDT
boutiki( 428) US $207.77 2 0 Aug-09-06 18:57:24 PDT
misbas( 101) US $90.00 1 0 Aug-03-06 10:24:05 PDT
browncratebooks( 428) US $66.50 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:57:20 PDT
glazerunner( 103) US $65.00 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:12:03 PDT
najalo35( 55) US $45.00 2 0 Aug-02-06 19:22:16 PDT
cpt.midnite( 802 )

I was shut out the last few sec. or I would have been right there as well. The point I am making (in case you haven't caught on yet) I am in the same auctions everyday with the same 2-3 handfuls of bidders. Fact is, higher or vintage priced items are rarely ever bid on by newbies. Some of the bidders above have yellow eBay (entry level) stars. Do you really think they are newbies or maybe just new i.d's.? or just might not use eBay as often? I myself have collected mugs for at least 25 years. yet I have a yellow star. fact, most of the people on this list are the most knowledgeable people in the fields of tiki, mugs, Hawaiiana, ect. I don't believe for one second that newbies drive the prices up on eBay. pop cult does along with many other reasons. I sold some art many years ago to a very successful art dealer who at that time was sitting on some Salvador Dali's because they were not worth what he paid for them. He gave me some everlasting advice, " Buy It Because You Like It."
Everything is worth what it is worth, no more no less. As far as newbies dumping out of mugs in a few years? that probbibly will happen but, I doubt you will see them in thrift stores for 25 cents. eBay, yes but not for a buck. It might be interesting to you to visit this post already in progress,
Collecting Tiki Garage Sales, Thrift Stores, Antique Malls. THEY NOW KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE!

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-08-10 18:35 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 09:56 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-08-10 09:57 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-11 03:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for the offers, I'll be up for some trading when I've got a little more work to play with. I'm also interested in Coco Joe's and HIP stuff.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-11 08:07 am   Permalink

I'm a Tiki "newbie" but I'm not a "dumb newbie" those that want to pony up big $$$$ for "investment" purposes, forget it IMHO.

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nooganaaga

Posted: 2006-08-12 02:54 am   Permalink

All it takes is two that want really, really something on eBay and the price can zoom up.

View Profile of nooganaaga Send a personal message to nooganaaga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicat67
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-29 2:39 pm   Permalink

I, too, am a "tiki newbie" as were all of you at one time. Where is the "aloha spirit" in accepting that there is a learning curve to collecting (anything)? Is tiki collecting an exclusive club for only longterm experienced collectors? I guess I'm one of the "idiot" ones, but it is a passion that fills me with such exuberant joy and happiness, much more than many other interests I've had over the years.

Tiki collecting and immersing oneself in tiki culture is an addiction that has a quick onset and a very swift downward (upward?) spiral into helpless addiction, as I'm sure many of you have discovered. We are all in this together! : )

I think the increased bidding on eBay is just an indicator that the tiki craze is making a long-overdue comeback into the collective conscience, as evidenced by its resurgence in popularity in even mainstream retail (i.e. Tiki stuff at TARGET!!). I am hoping this translates into fewer tiki bars and restaurants being torn down and more being built (we need at LEAST one in Vermont!).

Tikicat67 =^..^=

View Profile of tikicat67 Send a personal message to tikicat67  Email tikicat67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation