FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology Tahitian Terrace Disneyland- Image Heavy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology Tahitian Terrace Disneyland- Image Heavy
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 06:09 am   Permalink

Excellent imagery. Thanks for posting this. I only ate at the Terrance once, back in the late '70s, and while I have fond memories of the floorshow, I recall that the food was pretty awful.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 08:07 am   Permalink

Wow PJ! Those are great.... I don't have any of those menus - whenever they come up, the prices get way out of my league pretty fast.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 11:41 am   Permalink

Great pics Matterhorn...I've seen your blog online quite a few months ago! Excellent collection....Thank you for sharing these images for all to see!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 2:11 pm   Permalink

I dunno, those wahines are sure showing a lot of skin for Disney! One of them is (gasp) topless! Well, almost. But I love the drawings on those earlier menus. They should have stuck with those.

Great post!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 12:45 am   Permalink

Great to see that some of the Tahitian Terrace stuff has survived. Here's a MiceChat thread with more photos, including my TT tiki lamp bases that will be restored to their former glory one day soon.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25653&highlight=tahitian+terrace

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-13 00:45, TikiHula wrote:
Here's a MiceChat thread with more photos, including my TT tiki lamp bases that will be restored to their former glory one day soon.

Love those lamp bases! Once you restore them, please post pics here.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 06:59 am   Permalink

Here is my lamp base from the Tahitian Terrace. On the tables, there was a circular base that it would sit on and the base is hollow for electrical wiring. I have been told this was purchased from Oceanic Arts and that they still have the tiki bases in stock.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-12 14:11, GatorRob wrote:
I dunno, those wahines are sure showing a lot of skin for Disney! One of them is (gasp) topless! Well, almost. But I love the drawings on those earlier menus. They should have stuck with those.
Great post!

It's funny you bring that up. I had the same reaction at first. But I think that Disneyland pre-1990 wasn't exactly PC. I'm sure there are others who remember better than I, but my impression of the 50s and 60s was that family fun didn't always mean or equate to politically correct. It wasn't really until the '90s that things started being removed from the park for not being appropriate-- Jungle Cruise guns, etc.
Also, contrast the Pocahontas movie from the mid-90s with the peace pipe sequence in Peter Pan. Disney produced some stuff (movies, etc) way back when that definitely wasn't PC. Some things like the menu were maybe a little racy, but still more or less family oriented.
And now back on topic-- excellent posts Matterhorn! Thanks so much for sharing. Those are really good scans, too! You can really see all the nice artwork detail in the menu backgrounds-- this attention to even minute details was the mark of quality Disney. Very nice!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 8:05 pm   Permalink

These are all images of the larger size menus that were used in the 1960s when the Terrace originally opened. I believe the green one is the earliest. Note these are all Dinner menus, I am looking for a Lunch Menu in Green and Orange. The menus measure 10 by 10 inches in size.

And a large size Kikkoman one from the 1980s:

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-15 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the excellent images, particularly the first one.

I'd never been to the Tahitian Terrace but have always mourned its passing. I'd heard about the waterfall that parted like a curtain, but had never seen it. All the pictures I had seen of the Tahitian Terrace excluded the waterfall so I could only imagine until now.

Wonderful!

They really need to bring that place back.

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 05:39 am   Permalink

Some more Tahitian Terrace items- these are all press 8 by 10 photographs usually published by Disneyland for use in Newspaper and Magazine articles.

I especially like the second one of the dancing girls. All of the photographs are from the 1960s.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 07:34 am   Permalink

Great images PJ!

I remember working on the Jungle Cruise - and to get back to boat storage, we had to cross behind that Tahitian Terrace stage. Sometimes the performers (many of whom were married to the beautiful dancing girls) would give us the "stink eye" as we crossed back there. I think they thought we were trying to sneak a peak at their gorgeous women!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-16 07:34, Tangaroa wrote:
I think they thought we were trying to sneak a peak at their gorgeous women!

Which, of course, you were!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 11:17 am   Permalink

Errrrrr... yeah.

BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 12:29 pm   Permalink

Being an OC native, I did my time at the big Mouse house working the Plaza Pavilion (which backs up to the Tahitian Terrace) and the Tiki Juice Bar but I was the wrong look for the Terrace. That of course did not stop me from hanging out in the Terrace as often as possible. We even lit the volcano up and danced around during closed hours. What I heard (and its all rumor, heresay, etc) is that there was discussion about bring back the Terrace but there are health concerns about the building. The bathrooms are on top of the kitchen and the pipes leak. Can't reopen either restaurant without a major rebuild, major downtime. Wish I'd have kept all that stuff (menus, etc) Also used to sneak into the jungle (of Jungle Cruise) at night. Very fun.

Tangeroa, is that YOU in the photo (in front of the Tahitian Terrace)? Did you cook? You look way familiar!!

[ This Message was edited by: BettyBleu 2006-08-16 12:49 ]

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation