FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Zanzibar, Santa Monica, CA (bar)
Zanzibar, Santa Monica, CA (bar)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 09:46 am   Permalink

Name:Zanzibar
Type:bar
Street:240 Broadway
City:Santa Monica
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
My brother Michael Mc Millen did a miniature art piece called the Zanzibar, Not sure where it is on display but I'll get more info and post it when I can. Was patterned after the LA bar which he thinks was from the 40's somewhere in Santa Monica. I will post his piece when I get an image of it. Does anyone know anything about its history or have pictures of it?

[ Edited by Sabu The Coconut boy 2006-09-11 to complete the address ]

[

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-13 21:18 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 06:48 am   Permalink

It seems that there was a Zanibar bar in Santa Monica, California at Broadway and 2nd St near the pier. The Miramar Hotel would have been a few blocks north with its classic tiki bar. There must be pictures somewhere we can use. Any ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-13 21:07 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 07:00 am   Permalink

I think there was a Zanzibar bar built in the back next to the Florentine Gardens on Hollywood Blvd. in the 30's or 40's.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-11 10:33 am   Permalink

Here's a matchbook from the Zanzibar at 240 Broadway in Santa Monica (corner of 3rd & Broadway):

You're right - the Tiki-Jo in the Hotel Miramar was nearby. I'm not sure if they were concurrent, since the Zanzibar was probably built earlier in the 1940s or late 30s, but if it survived a decade or so, then NOT ONLY would you have had the Zanzibar and the Tiki-Jo nearby, but just one block from the Zanzibar you had the 1940s, South-Pacific bar, the "Tahiti South Seas", at 327 Broadway. If you ever meet the lovely Ginger Goldmine at any of our tiki events, ask her about the Tahiti. It was owned by her grandfather, Herman Klabunde. I'll ask her if her family has any stories about the nearby Zanzibar as well.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 9:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu, cool match book. I am going to the library in Santa Monica soon to see if there are any photos we can use here.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-13 21:23 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation