[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: The original Suffering Bastard
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Recipe: The original Suffering Bastard
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 07:39 am   Permalink

In the words of Sylvester,"Sufferng sucatash"

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-28 03:52, captnkirk wrote:
Well I consulted the bible on this one (Trader Vics Bartenders Guide)

Trader Vic claims to have invented this one too, but the drink is not listed in the old testament (1947 edition) so I consulted the new testament (1974 edition). FYI: at one point Trader Vic also had the US Patent on the design of the Suffering Bastard Mug.

unfortunately, while I had saved this image of the bastard patent, I can't find it on my hard drive and the one linked to above is now gone.

Did anyone save this that they could repost?

thanks!!

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 08:37 am   Permalink

Here's a pic of the drawings for the Suffering Bastard Mug patent, displayed on the wall at Vic's in Dallas:

Also, here's the skull mug drawing:

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-19 02:24 am   Permalink

From the LIFE archives:

"Allied servicemen relaxing at the American bar in Shepheard's Hotel while on leave. (hatless bartender is Joe Ellinsky Shallum, older man on bottom rt is American Merchant seaman Lou Harkness.)"

Gosh, Joe Shallum does sound a lot like Joe Scialom... could this guy be the Suffering Bastard's inventor?

[ This Message was edited by: mbanu 2008-12-19 02:35 ]

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-16 8:56 pm   Permalink

I made a Suffering Bastard tonight that I think is much better than the recipe from the Grog Log. I've always thought that 1 oz of lime juice was overpowering. I have had a hard time finding a ginger beer that I like. I had some Stewart's ginger beer that I thought was pretty good, but I can never find it around here anymore. I use a little bit of muddled fresh ginger to make up for the deficits of my mundane ginger ale. I used usually use Maker's Mark bourbon, but tonight I used Bulleit because that's what I had. Bulleit has more rye and I think it gave it a snappier flavor, although I quite like the smoothness of Maker's and will probably go back to that when I buy my next bottle. I usually use Tanqueray, but tonight it was Aviation because that's what I had. The blood orange bitters, falernum and fresh ginger are what really brought this drink to life for me.

Muddle in tall glass:
small piece of fresh ginger (about the size of a sugar cube) with
juice of 1/2 lime (about 1/2 oz)

Fill the glass with ice cubes and add:
1/2 oz falernum
1 oz gin
1 oz bourbon
1 tsp Stirrings blood orange bitters
3 oz regular ginger ale

I don't usually garnish this drink, but I like to just toss in the spent lime half that I juiced. I wash the limes well before juicing to remove the wax.

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-16 9:07 pm   Permalink

I had missed this thread on the Suffering Bastard before. I was recently telling Bora Boris about the Suffering Bastard at Grand Star. Grand Star, located around the corner from Hop Louie in China Town, is a chinese restaurant/ bar, with live jazz karoake (at least it was the last time i went, which was probably a good 7 years ago), which goes back almost as far as Hop Louie. I used to go there to see the house singer do standards, and to try the various tropicals they had. At that time most of the cocktails were harsh at best, but i would love to get the Suffering Bastard there because it was served with a gherkin floating in the drink.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-16 9:32 pm   Permalink

a whole gherkin? was it a miniature one?

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 4:45 pm   Permalink

We tried this recipe for a suffering bastard, using vernor's ginger ale, and Videot's homemade falernum...ooooooh so good!
We changed the falernum recipe a bit..and used a lot less of it, because it's soostrong! anyone want the recipe?
Cheers!
Pala

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 4:51 pm   Permalink

Gerkin??
eeeeeeeyewwww!
do yourself a favour, and try it with a spear of a nice crispy cucumber...oh so refreshing, and you can convince yourself that you had a salad!
Aren't we healthy!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
miceland

Posted: 2010-04-10 9:01 pm   Permalink

To make things even more confusing Beachbum Berry's Remixed has a different version of the original SB. This new-old version calls for Rose's Lime Juice. There are also two additional recipes from Joe called the Dying Bastard and the Dead Bastard. These both have Gin, Brandy and Bourbon and were served as hangover cures. Oh my.

Drinking a Bastard at Vic's is good but it is really a different animal entirely from most of these recipes. Really that drink should be called a Suffering Vic.

I am pretty sure that at Forbidden Island you are getting the Grog Log recipe or something very near that. I know there is Gin in their version and also Jim Beam. Gin and Bourbon in a Tiki drink Makes this interesting and unexpected and definitively makes this one of my favorites.

View Profile of miceland Send a personal message to miceland  Goto the website of miceland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation