FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Proof that Tiki was part of the Swinging Singles Culture in 1966, (The Tahitian Drum thread)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Proof that Tiki was part of the Swinging Singles Culture in 1966, (The Tahitian Drum thread)
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-20 11:52 pm   Permalink

I found this article in a January 1966 copy of ARGOSY magazine today. The article was about the current fad of "Singles" apartment buildings and how popular they were at the time. Featured was the South Bay Club apartments in Torrance, CA, (Dr Z, do you know where these might be located?). Having grown up in the South Bay, that was interesting on its own. But among the fun photographs of the happy, horny denizens of said apartments, there were these photos of a very cool tiki conga-drum

The drum can be seen again in the lower left-hand edge of this photo

Does anyone know who made this tiki drum?

P.S. I had first-hand experience of this "Swinging Singles Aparment" fad. When I was a paperboy in Junior High, (around 1976), I delivered the Daily Breeze to a Spanish-style apartment complex that took up a whole block in Redondo Beach. I remember that the entire apartment complex was rented by young singles, and while walking through the jungle-like central courtyard each day, delivering my papers, it was common to see young couples practicing the complicated moves of the current disco dancing craze through their sliding glass doors. I was hypnotized by the complexity and sensuality of that dancing, and I'm sure the customers on the next block wondered why their paper took so long to be delivered some days.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-08-20 23:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-07-08 21:17 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 03:44 am   Permalink

Nice pictures Sabu, thanks for posting!

That Tiki Drum looks awesome!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 06:59 am   Permalink

Ahhhhh - to invent a time machine & go back to watch a young Sabu staring intently at this scene, shaking slightly, beads of sweat popping out....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 08:05 am   Permalink

That top picture is so awesome, so swinging hip cha-cha-cha. This article is a very nice find.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 09:07 am   Permalink

Thanks Sabu! That is a sweet drum. I haven't seen that before. Dang now I want one.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 10:06 am   Permalink

Funny thing, Sabu, is that I was a Paper Boy too, And I used to deliver to the KON-TIKI apartments which burned down a few years ago.

The place had an indoor pool and sauna, plus hot tub. I once spoke to the mailman about the deliveries there. He said that over 1/2 the residences got Penthouse Forum. He assumed it was so they could read their own writings.

This was in Bremerton Wa.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-08-21 10:45 am   Permalink

Those were the days! Is it just me, or have we taken a step backwards as a society?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 3:18 pm   Permalink

Sabu, another great find! I believe that drums of this type are tourist and import items possibly originating from Tahiti, done by Marquesan carvers there, and available in the US at that time thru places like Oceanic Arts. I have seen them in all sizes, the one in those pictures is especially big and nice.

OA still has a smaller one, with the Marquesan heads/skulls only as the feet, I always wanted to ask them where they got it. You can see a decrepit version of it in the Urban Archaeology chapter in the BOT, in the picture with the leaning Tiki from "The Tikis", it's lying on its side.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-08-21 4:02 pm   Permalink

Oddly enough, there is no sign of any liquor in the above photos.
Real swinging swingles cannot live on maracas and stuffed dog animals alone.

Unless, of course, those suitcases unfold into portable tiki bars.

I wonder if they can play Martin Denny LPs on that Victrola horn-like device.

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2006-08-21 16:04 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-08-24 8:57 pm   Permalink

Looks like the Jab's pad-i SEE he bought a cool chair!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-21 16:02, ikitnrev wrote:
Oddly enough, there is no sign of any liquor in the above photos...Unless, of course, those suitcases unfold into portable tiki bars....

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 23:52, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

You are close, Vern....

From the Top Down:

The first guy, with the plaid case, is carrying the whiskey. And, the dog is merely the 'container' for the stash. "No one would think to look in here...."

The next lady in line, the one with the bra on her head, has already 'tested' the stash to make sure it was OK during transportation.

The guy carrying the drum, his other bag is full of the rums. I know because I carry mine in a bag just like it when I go on the road.

Down a couple of people, at the next landing: The guy with the plaid bag, that is a traveling bar, I have one just like it.

The next guy in line, the one without the shirt, he is obviously carrying the bulk of the bottles. You can tell by how heavy the bags look and the fact that he is dragging.

The next guy down, he is carrying the ukulele and the Martin Denny record collection. He is also rather ingeniously carrying one of the larger servings glasses on his head.

For space concerns in the magazine, they decided to crop out the two guys carrying the tiki bar up the stairs. They are right behind the guy wearing the serving mug on his head.

Now, the second picture.... This one is just too scary for words....

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 23:52, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

The article is cut, but they are talking about "secluded patios for barbecues,"" which can only mean that the happy-go-lucky crowd are not really swingers, but Urban Cannibals. The weird Victrola looking device is obviously some sort of silencer to muffle the screams as the other three ladies use their meat tenderizers on the lady wearing the bra on her head. The guy with the black case in his mouth, whom we could not see on the stair shot, obviously has no arms but is still doing his bit for tonight's feast by carrying the spice rack in his teeth. I am not sure if it is a travelling spice set or one of those new-fangled Ronco-Shrink-O-Matic head shrinkers you see on late night TV. Either way, it is still very forward thinking for a group of cannibals at that time to be so accommodating of a man with no arms.

I can only image the carnage that came after this shot......

And, someone said something about a Tiki-Time-Machine..... I have the plans, but I can't find a power source capable of generating 1.21 jigawatts of power to make it go....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 5:32 pm   Permalink

Uh.... Chip? Whatever it was you drank prior to that post, please mix one for me.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 6:22 pm   Permalink

Actually, couldn't that black and white photo just as easily be a snapshot from Tiki Oasis? I think that's Floratina ecstatically strumming in the chair!

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 6:57 pm   Permalink

Dang, this thread is too funny. The Georgia Swamps are still echoing with laughter. Its threads like this that have made me a regular Tiki Centralite.

Swamp

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-08 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-28 18:22, vintagegirl wrote:
Actually, couldn't that black and white photo just as easily be a snapshot from Tiki Oasis? I think that's Floratina ecstatically strumming in the chair!

I'm so glad you said that. I was thinking it looked like a TC party...but I thought it was just me.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation