FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Proof that Tiki was part of the Swinging Singles Culture in 1966, (The Tahitian Drum thread)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Proof that Tiki was part of the Swinging Singles Culture in 1966, (The Tahitian Drum thread)
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 11:02 am   Permalink

If someone wants that drum, Check this auction.

Sweet!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 11:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 23:52, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I found this article in a January 1966 copy of ARGOSY magazine today. The article was about the current fad of "Singles" apartment buildings and how popular they were at the time. Featured was the South Bay Club apartments in Torrance, CA, (Dr Z, do you know where these might be located?). Having grown up in the South Bay, that was interesting on its own. But among the fun photographs of the happy, horny denizens of said apartments, there were these photos of a very cool tiki conga-drum

The drum can be seen again in the lower left-hand edge of this photo

Does anyone know who made this tiki drum?

P.S. I had first-hand experience of this "Swinging Singles Aparment" fad. When I was a paperboy in Junior High, (around 1976), I delivered the Daily Breeze to a Spanish-style apartment complex that took up a whole block in Redondo Beach. I remember that the entire apartment complex was rented by young singles, and while walking through the jungle-like central courtyard each day, delivering my papers, it was common to see young couples practicing the complicated moves of the current disco dancing craze through their sliding glass doors. I was hypnotized by the complexity and sensuality of that dancing, and I'm sure the customers on the next block wondered why their paper took so long to be delivered some days.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-08-20 23:53 ]

DAMN I WANT THAT DRUM !!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-08 11:02, Swanky wrote:
If someone wants that drum, Check this auction.

Sweet!

Damn, that thing would make a nice bowl!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 12:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, at first I didn't realize the size of that puppy, but seeing the guy kneeling next to it, it IS hefty, and that makes it well worth it. I hope someone here gets it. These drums are from the golden age of Tahitian tourist art, they just don't make'em like that anymore!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 12:53 pm   Permalink

Ms Swanky found it and we've been drooling. It was at $99 this morning. When it hit $299, well, I had to share. Maybe someone here can get it. I have too many other things to do with $400 right now. Would have loved to have this coffee table in the Hidewaway.

This is on that long list of things to carve one day...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 3:40 pm   Permalink

D'oh! I've been wanting one of those drums for a while now! I drooled over the ones at Oceanic Arts. Here they are:

And here's a drum from the Mai-Kai, just to keep us all salivating. (Eyes on the drum fellas.) :

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 3:45 pm   Permalink

One more... from the Trader Vic's warehouse sale:

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 3:51 pm   Permalink

Why doesn't someone post a tutorial on how to stretch drumheads so we can all carve our own drums?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 3:53 pm   Permalink

Martin Denny holds a similar drum on the back of The Best of Martin Denny.

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:05 pm   Permalink

I have one of those lil' ones. It's not big...but it's OLD!:

Left is the Tiki Diablo mug that was inspired by these for size reference.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:37 pm   Permalink

Here's the Martin Denny drum. I think he might of gotten ripped off:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:40 pm   Permalink

Yes, he definitely MIGHT'VE gotten ripped-off.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 5:10 pm   Permalink

This thread was always cool, but it's even cooler now it's the unofficial Marquesan/Tahitian drum repository!
Seeing that ebay auction will soon be gone those pics should be here too, as they are a pretty good reference for us carvers:

A couple more from my collection:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 5:23 pm   Permalink

Here are some good links for those wanting to build some drums and skin 'em up!

Rope tension:
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Ashiko.htm
Tacked head : http://www.tentigerskungfu.com/lion_drum_head_replacement.htm

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-08 17:23, squid wrote:
Here are some good links for those wanting to build some drums and skin 'em up!

Rope tension: http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Ashiko.htm
Tacked head : http://www.tentigerskungfu.com/lion_drum_head_replacement.htm

Whoa boy, that's alot of math

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation