FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » I Surrender: Please Help Identify My Hirschfeld Print
I Surrender: Please Help Identify My Hirschfeld Print
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 10:00 am   Permalink

I bought this Hirschfeld print about a million years ago at an antique store.

Can someone please tell me what play/movie/etc. this is from?

I've poured through the Hirschfeld archives online but have not been able to figure it out.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed Picture. - 2010-11-29 19:54 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 11:35 am   Permalink

I bet you thought I would have some info when you saw me posting, being Mr. Know-it-all, but sorry, I don't! But what a fine rendering, and what a very intriguing cast of characters! It does look like a Broadway play, maybe you should ask a costume designer...like where is the couple on the right supposed to be from?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 11:49 am   Permalink

Do you have a date? You could check the Hirschfeld Archive in the New York Times and see if it's in there, or contact AlHirschfeld.com and see what they might know?

On to more important things! How many Ninas are there?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 12:05 pm   Permalink

I've got an email into a friend who has an encyclopedic knowlege of all things Broadway. Hopefully he'll recognize it!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-22 12:51 pm   Permalink

Wow, Tiki-Kate, that's really neat. GROG's birthday is in September and GROG is willing to accept nice gifts such as this Hirschfeld print.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 7:06 pm   Permalink

I think I figured it out!

13 Daughters
Music, lyrics, book by Eaton Magoon, Jr.

Opened at the 54th St. Theatre, NY March 2, 1961; closed March 28, 1961

Starring Don Ameche

According to its publisher,
Music Theatre International:

"The beauty, history, culture and spirit of 19th century Hawaii fill the stage in this hilarious and heart-warming family musical.

"With thirteen daughters, Chun, a rich Chinese merchant, and his wife, a Hawaiian princess, have a slight problem: by tradition, the eldest daughter must marry first – and she seems more interested in missionary work than romance. As if that weren’t bad enough, an old family curse stipulates none of the daughters must marry! But when the eldest daughter's mission work turns into matrimony, the younger sisters happily forget their decision to remain old maids and twelve very proper suitors promptly enliven the scene.

"Big, bright and dripping with melody, author Eaton Magoon, Jr. – himself a native of the Islands – combines universal themes with a lush, exotic locale for a one-of-a-kind experience that will have your audiences saying “Mahalo nui loa!” (“Thank you very much!”)"

Full cast info at the Internet Broadway Database.

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-22 19:06, aloha.taboo wrote:
I think I figured it out!

13 Daughters

Starring Don Ameche

I believe you are exactly right, aloha.taboo.

I had come across that title during my search but was unable to find an image of the print anywhere online.

Thank you so much.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2006-08-23 12:03 am   Permalink

Wow! What a coincidence. That is GROG's favorite broadway musical! Plus GROG a huge Don Ameche fan and just LOVES Hirschfeld's artwork. That print would look great hanging up in GROG's house.

(By the way, did GROG mention GROG's birthday is in September, and that GROG will gladly be accepting gifts?)

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 12:06 am   Permalink

Hmm, it seems that the link to the picture isn't working anymore. Any chance it could get re-hosted? I'd like to see it too.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-23 00:03, GROG wrote:
(By the way, did GROG mention GROG's birthday is in September, and that GROG will gladly be accepting gifts?)

Pick a different gift, GROG.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-22 19:06, aloha.taboo wrote:

Ran for a whole 3 1/2 weeks? Hmmm, I wonder why we never heard of this, OR of Eaton Magoon, Jr.....? With THAT name!

A play about Hawaii should have been a hit in 1961...maybe it wasn't because it was set in the 19th century...and I bet they did not have enough Tikis in the stage design (though that ONE looks very good!)

But then again, who ever mentions Leonard Bernstein's "Trouble in Tahiti".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2006-08-23 6:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-08-23 18:53 ]

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-23 18:52, GROG wrote:
Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-08-23 18:53 ]

Try again, GROG.

Back on topic:

Considering that it had such a short run, it's interesting that 13 Daughters received two Tony nominations in 1961.

aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 2:25 pm   Permalink

One of my favorite Hawaiian performers was in it as well: Keola Beamer

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation