Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1965 Hawaiian Trip Scrapbook - Image Heavy
1965 Hawaiian Trip Scrapbook - Image Heavy
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 6:32 pm   Permalink

I found this neat scrapbook at a flea market this weekend. It appears to have been assembled by a girl who went on a trip with her family (parents and sister) in the summer of 1965. The album is chock full of goodies... photos, newspapers, matchbooks, even the plastic bag that held the girl's earphones on her Pan Am flight! They appeared to have stayed for part of their trip at the Kaimana Hotel

My favorite item is an actual piece of bamboo from the Bamboo Lanai at the International Marketplace (bottom center of Image 3). Anybody know anything about this place?

The following pix are just some of the things in the album. I hope you enjoy!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-22 6:55 pm   Permalink

What an awesome find! Love the brochure on the left in the 4th pic.
I also found an old travel-album at a thrift, but it's 99 percent bland postcards from '67-68, Hawaii taking up only a few pages of a worldwide trip...
I'm guessing - since it's from an underage - there are no bar/lounge paraphenalia pieces?

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 9:52 pm   Permalink

Great score Tikipedia. I love the pages with the actual snapshots. Good stuff!
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 8:02 pm   Permalink

"Tiki Transportation Inc"? I'm sure it's just a brand name, but I can't help picturing a pick-up truck with a bamboo tray on the back, cruising around the island delivering Ku and Lono carvings to happy customers.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-24 8:18 pm   Permalink

I think my favorite items are the two coasters from the Halekulani. I'm a sucker for paper drink coasters and napkins. The whole scrapbook is nice, though.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jordanlei

Posted: 2006-08-24 10:33 pm   Permalink

Very good!

old history!

View Profile of jordanlei Send a personal message to jordanlei      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 11:41 pm   Permalink

Wow,

It's like looking into a space capsule. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-25 08:23 am   Permalink

Isn't this the most amazing and endearing thing? Such a special time for this person, documented so lovingly -- you'd think one of her descendants would have wanted to keep this. Well, YOU found it and will preserve it for the same reasons she did -- her magical time in a magical place.

And I love the little cartoon Hawaiians hugging the Dole pineapple.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 12:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-22 18:32, tikipedia wrote:
I hope you enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 14:16 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 1:47 pm   Permalink

Holy Haole, this scrapbook is GREAT! The graphics are so cute I wanna squeeze them like the giant pineapple!

And what is that dinner & dancing Nite Club Tour? How cool does that sound? Let's go! Please please please bring this to the next Oasis or whatever, we all want to see it!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-06 10:34 pm   Permalink

Amazing! I'm crazy about all of the old fonts and illustrations.

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aliciatapp

Posted: 2006-09-10 10:48 am   Permalink

Some of these would be great gifts for Xmas if they were transferred onto marble or ceramic tiles - as coasters or framed or even as a kitchen or bathroom backsplash

http://www.AliciaTappDesigns.com

View Profile of aliciatapp Send a personal message to aliciatapp  Goto the website of aliciatapp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation