FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Java Lanes, Long Beach, CA - history info
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Java Lanes, Long Beach, CA - history info
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 7:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-18 19:46, crazy al wrote:
I tried to book APE here on their first southern cal tour in early 2002, only to be told there was no hope and the place was to be bulldozed... hmmm... Maybe I should not have listened... the place is still up and now no entertainment license for the perfect venue ever for ape to play........

I was the person that told you that the place could not be booked. Back when the place still had shows it had them in a show area called DiPiazza's Lava Lounge. You can call this number (562) 498-2461 and ask for Mark DiPiazza to get the exact date that they lost their Entertainment liscense. It was long gone by the Ape tour. I love Ape and was eager to help when asked to, but honestly at Kozmos the overhead was $250, I booked shows at Java Lanes in the old days and I can tell you from experience that the overhead there was $1000. You can verify that with Mark too. Remember after paying for the overhead, DJ, and money spent on flyers how much the bands actually made at Kozmos? Imagine that minus an additional $750 toward overhead. The bands would have actually gone into debt doing that show. Regardless though their entertainment liscense was long gone by then. You can call up Mark and get the exact date from him.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dimethios
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 9:08 pm   Permalink

I signed it even tho I live in Chicago!

Hope it works.

View Profile of Dimethios Send a personal message to Dimethios      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jcarroyo

Posted: 2004-04-06 12:10 pm   Permalink

Please help sign the SAVE JAVA LANES petition. It's only our hope to force the city to realize that we do care. Java Lanes is the last of it's kind and the DEMOLITION PERMIT was pulled April 1. Please help spread the word and write to your local Long Beach City Council.

Thank so much for your support. Everything "Tiki" appreciates it!

View Profile of jcarroyo Send a personal message to jcarroyo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jcarroyo

Posted: 2004-04-06 12:10 pm   Permalink

Please help sign the SAVE JAVA LANES petition. It's only our hope to force the city to realize that we do care. Java Lanes is the last of it's kind and the DEMOLITION PERMIT was pulled April 1. Please help spread the word and write to your local Long Beach City Council.

Thank so much for your support. Everything "Tiki" appreciates it!

View Profile of jcarroyo Send a personal message to jcarroyo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 12:28 pm   Permalink

I do hope the petition works. After signing (I don't know how many) petitions, can someone positively say what amount of signatures can actually make a difference in stopping the demolition of Java Lanes. Is this merely a way appease us and to voice our opposition or can signatures make a true difference in the real money world?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 04:20 am   Permalink

I don't know about other issues, but in the Historic Preservation world, when a member of a group, say like the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee goes before a city council on behalf of a building, it can be quite impressive (and sometimes even influential) to councilmembers if the speaker is accompanied by a qualified petition. So sign sign sign...
http://www.ethical-business.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=974

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 09:42 am   Permalink

Well, I passed by Java Lanes last night.... and their marquee is blank! No league info or anything at all.... not a good sign. I'll have to stop by there again and find out when their final day is.

I did hear that that this treasure of Polynesian Pop architecture is gonna get torn down end of summer....!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 10:19 am   Permalink

Does anyone know if the Java Lanes is still open?

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 10:56 am   Permalink

Check out this thread:

Java Lanes History Info

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 10:59 am   Permalink

Well, the marquee now reads:

Thank you to our bowlers for their loyalty

After 50 years, Java Lanes is bowing out with class

I've tried calling, but no one answers... but there were still quite a few cars in the parking lot.

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2004-05-21 10:59 ]

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 10:59, Traderpup wrote:
Well, the marquee now reads:

Thank you to our bowlers for their loyalty

After 50 years, Java Lanes is bowing out with class

Traderpup on 2004-05-21 10:59 ]</font>

SNIF!!!!! That doesn't sound good!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:45 am   Permalink

Java Lanes officially closes its doors forever on June 1st..... this weekend and Memorial weekend are the last chances to enjoy the last of its kind......!

Demolition is expected by end of summer, and the development of a high-end condo complex will begin.

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2004-05-21 17:06 ]

sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:59 pm   Permalink

Thank you, yes, I have read the thread and signed the petition. Hope it can be saved! Just wondered if it is still open.

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 1:07 pm   Permalink

Just talked to Java Lanes. They are open and they said that their lounge still has the Polynesian decor. We will definitely try to get there on our trip.

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-21 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 13:07, sparklegem wrote:
Just talked to Java Lanes. They are open and they said that their lounge still has the Polynesian decor. We will definitely try to get there on our trip.

The lounge has no Polynesian decor, but there are some nice rock details.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation