[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Norwegian Woody
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Norwegian Woody
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-25 2:52 pm   Permalink

Hei Tikis!
Im a guy that has had an interest in tikis for a while now, but the actual interest in wood carving did arrive just some months ago.
In May, my neighbor cut down a tree that was blocking the sun, and the stem was left naked on the root, standing there, yearning to be ornamented. I asked if I could have it for making a tiki, and I got it without question.

My issues then started to build up, cause I know nothing of wood, carving or tools. So Ive had to do my fair share of research through the web. After looking at massive amounts of websites I also did find Tiki Central.
It seems like Tiki Central is one of the better places on the Internet when it comes to info on how to make a tiki, so Ive kept coming back here several times to gain knowledge before starting on the real deal.

I have, like so many others, to thank Buzzy for doing what hes doing. I have read about half of his discoveries, noting down and sketching a lot the last days. Brilliant stuff Buzzy! I also actually went to Canada in July to research totems of the First Nations People in British Colombia. They are amazingly great woodcarvers. I have also been to New Zealand and done research on Maori carvings earlier this year. I really love that stuff.

What I need is help.
Since I still know (almost) nothing about carving I hope its possible to get in touch with tikis here that are interested in throwing some ideas and suggestions out.

The log I have been so lucky to get a hold on is from a noble pine-wood tree. I have understood that the tree makes a bad one for the fireplace, since it burns so fast, but hope its still workable for carving. The size is 2,45m long and 60,5 cm fat. And yes, it weights more than a ton, so I thought to hollow it out (like the First Nations do it) might make it lighter, and then, easier to move.

Heres some pictures of the log and me.

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2006-08-25 07:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2006-08-25 15:58 ]

View Profile of el Stingray Send a personal message to el Stingray  Goto the website of el Stingray     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-25 3:54 pm   Permalink

Well, now some days have gone by and Ive been burning my brain to get this logger goin.
But the progress have been made.
I stripped the bark off the log with an axe and a hammer. It went off really easy.

Then we cut a piece off on the backside to take off some weight, the thing was weighing a ton.

Then to move it into the garage I got hold on some rolling sticks from a neighbor down the road.

"The Gyptian way"

Then I asked my mom if I she knew if there were any tools I could borrow at her work,
cause she works at a practical high-school.
I asked one of her colleagues and he had this awesome angle grinder with some blades
especially made for woodcarving. The blades are called Lancelot, Ill post some pics of it later.
And then I went to work.
As you can see, Im not really experienced, and the carving is still not really sophisticated.

Mark up with chisels.

1st day of carving

2nd day of carving

But it still makes a pretty nasty scowl.

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2008-08-09 11:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2008-08-09 11:59 ]

View Profile of el Stingray Send a personal message to el Stingray  Goto the website of el Stingray     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 6:16 pm   Permalink

Wow man straght into it! Thats a mutha of a log you got there. Welcome to TC and make sure you cruise the tiki carving threads cause there is some gold in there. Post plenty of pics and have fun!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:26 pm   Permalink

Yeah you go boy!

This is a great place for education and inspiration. Read the posts from BenzArt, Basement Kahuna, GMan, Crazy Al... and lots of others. Check out the "Tools carvers use" topic in this thread somewhere.

Good luck, and welcome!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

Stingray,

Yeah man, put it to that big old log. Get your cuts deep in there as that is one massive piece. Remember to leave yourself room to work inside your initial feature drawing. Try to keep your cuts clean and have fun. Be safe and stop when you are tired. Keep us posted

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-14 3:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great feedback!

Ive taken the recommendations from G-man and carved deeper and with cleaner cuts.
It has really worked out well. Ill post pics of it as soon as Im able to get into the action again.

What I mean is that Ive been forced to do a break from the carving lately,
something that has been sort of a downer, because the tool that
Ive been using has lost a small piece.
The angle grinder Ive used started to vibrate way more than safe
and got steamy as a red hot chili taco, so I had to throw in a time out.

But today Im back, with a new tool. I bought a Black & Decker 1200W angle grinder with a dead mans switch
this afternoon, and it has quite a nice handle to!
So Im very happy and excited and cant wait to see this log erected...hehe...

I now have a job to do.
Ill keep you all posted about the development.
And in the meantime Ill paste up some of my previous sketches for this project.

> I have to keep carving

> Well, It COULD go good...

> As long as I keep my tongue straight...

> Or else I could encounter experiences really out of this world...

> Reeeeally spaced out stuff man...

> Outta the head kinda...

> Or I might meet some really strange guys like this...

> And wild cannibal animals...

> With weird head gear...

> That turn into steel robots...

> And that change color from red to green...

> N!!!!!

> Ill think normal tikis are good enough...

> Normal Tikis ay?!!!

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2006-09-14 15:32 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 3:42 pm   Permalink

This sketch is rad!!!

Welcome to TC El Stingray

Keep at it. This is going to be huge!

Great start

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-14 3:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your support!
Ill dig into this big dipper as fast as possible!
And yeah, cool that you like the sketch.
I did that one in a big old ghost house I used to live in in New Zealand.
Might have been influenced by it.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 4:04 pm   Permalink

Amazing sketches!!! Im sure you will have no probs envisioning where you want you want the sculpts to go... Where abouts in NZ were you? TamaTT

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-14 4:13 pm   Permalink

AWE! Compliments received! Just makes me want to do more!
I was living in Christchurch for about a month. Its kind of an eerie place.
And I got lost so many times in my neighborhood, cause the houses look so alike...hehe...
Loved NZ though, amazing is not a big enough word.
I also had an encounter with a Tongan woman that I will never forget. All respect to those powerful people!

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 6:15 pm   Permalink

Very cool sketches , Now you just need to get them carved.
I know what a downer it is when life gets in the way of carving, but the wood and tools are always glad to see you when you return.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 8:25 pm   Permalink

El Stingray,

Post some pics of that monster log when you get to a nice point to take pics. I can't wait to see what you've done.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 9:54 pm   Permalink

Hej granne! ackuratt.

I hope you get skilled enough to make thoose sketches into real tikis.
Youve got some mad skills!

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 11:43 pm   Permalink

Hey Sting..great work..keep it up.

...Castaway on the Isle of Life...

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 05:22 am   Permalink

Excellent sketches and a good start on your first tiki. Don't give up on it as it's looking like he will be a Winer.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation