Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tretchikoff dies age 92
Tretchikoff dies age 92
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 12:02 pm   Permalink

From the South African Broadcasting Corporation website:

Vladimir Tretchikoff dies aged 92

August 26, 2006, 13:15
Vladimir Tretchikoff (92), a world renowned artist, has died at a frail care centre in Cape Town. Tretchikoff was a self-taught artist.

He and his family fled the Russian Revolution in 1917, moving to Manchuria, Shanghai and Singapore, before eventually settling in South Africa in 1941. He is viewed by many as one of South Africa's greatest artists. His most famous piece was the portrait titled Chinese Girl. Tretchikoff painted ultra-realistic portraits - many of women. His other subject matter included animals and flowers. He worked with oil and water paints, as well as in charcoal and other media.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 12:28 pm   Permalink

I just read this from the Exotica list. I'm so glad to have several of his works in my collection. An amazing talent and from what I've read, he had a wonderful life.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 1:43 pm   Permalink

Yeah, hang on to those prints if you have them. I know I'm hanging on to my "Green Lady" print. These things look great in a Tiki bar even though they are not very Tiki by themselves.

The world has lost another truly original artist!!!!!!!

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 06:18 am   Permalink

Now that he's dead, will someone please clear up the mystery of why this painting is known as "Green Lady" when every print I've ever seen shows her face with a distinct blue tint?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 06:21 am   Permalink

The BBC now has a debate going about the merits of the Green Lady:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5298060.stm

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-31 1:38 pm   Permalink

spooky, my green lady fell of the wall a couple of days ago probably about the same he passed away.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 7:10 pm   Permalink

The BBC now has report going about the sale of the Green Lady:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21195560

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation