FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Seven Tiki Rum from Fiji via Australia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Seven Tiki Rum from Fiji via Australia
Rum guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-28 06:48 am   Permalink

I just saw Seven Tiki rum at the Rum Experience in London and can confirm some of the information in the previous posts. According to the brand representative in London, who was new to the brand and could have been recently hired for that show, Seven Tiki is a Fijian rum. But further inquiries revealed that it is actually made by the 42 Below distillery in New Zealand, which is owned by Bacardi, from molasses imported from Fiji. Australia has a long history of importing Fijian molasses for rum production. In many cases this rum was then blended with Australian rum prior to bottling.

My first impression was that this was a fairly young rum and lacking an age statement it seemed to owe some of its color to caramel coloring. Mixed in cocktails I didn't find anything objectionable but it did fall below the line of something I would want to drink straight.

Hopefully, there will be more information about this rum coming in the future, but at this point there seems to be little information about it other than there are no plans at this time to bring it to the US.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum guy 2008-10-28 06:49 ]

View Profile of Rum guy Send a personal message to Rum guy  Goto the website of Rum guy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-02 12:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 06:48, Rum guy wrote:

Hopefully, there will be more information about this rum coming in the future, but at this point there seems to be little information about it other than there are no plans at this time to bring it to the US.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum guy 2008-10-28 06:49 ]

Looks as though Seven Tiki is coming to the states soon. At Tiki Tom's tonight I was told that Bacardi will be doing a promo event there later this month for a tiki branded rum. Unfortunately, I will be up in Seattle at a union convention then, so I hope I can find somewhere up that way participating in the launch.

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 06:07 am   Permalink

Great news!
Looking forward to when it is available here!

I tried to get it when I was in Australia last month.
Nada in any Sydney liquor stores. The hotel concierge found some bars that had it on their shelves from the marketing push a couple years ago, learned about the Bacardi buyout, and called around to who had been the distributor for the Australia, but no-go for finding an unopened bottle for me to bring home.

But I did bring home some NICE Tasmanian rum called "Rum Island". White available now. Aged available soon (still sitting in the barrels....).

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 1:02 pm   Permalink

Sven Tiki Rum? Hey they never asked me if they could use my name! Wouldn't have OKed it for a WHITE rum!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 3:19 pm   Permalink

Sorry to burst everyones bubble,but i asked one of my bartender friends the other day about what was going on with the Seven Tiki rum as i haven't seen it available yet myself,and was told that the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand.

Which makes sense, although that could be wrong. I first saw and sampled it, (bit of a strange taste), at least 18 months ago and it still hasn't made an appearance so who knows.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2014-01-29 20:23 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 4:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-02 15:19, swizzle wrote:
the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand

This is what the concierge at my hotel heard as well when he was sleuthing for us.......
????

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-02 9:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-02 15:19, swizzle wrote:
Sorry to burst everyones bubble,but i asked one of my bartender friends the other day about what was going on with the Seven Tiki rum as i haven't seen it available yet myself,and was told that the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand.

Maybe, but they have promoted it some since introducing it in the UK last October. Also, I don't think they really acquired Seven Tiki on purpose. They bought the company that makes it primarily to get their flagship brand [and the name of the company] 42 below.

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-02 13:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sven Tiki Rum? Hey they never asked me if they could use my name! Wouldn't have OKed it for a WHITE rum!

How about a spiced rum. That's what Seven Tiki is bringing to the states. How their publicity wombats say it tastes: Fijian sugar cane with Polynesian fruit, coffee, and chocolate notes; nose has oak and vanilla notes [they claim it reminds one of a light creme caramel]. "Made" in Fiji [dunno if that means dsitilled or bottled there or what].

On June 15th at 7 p.m., there's a launch party at Tiki Tom's in Oakland. I'd be there but unfortunately I'll be out of town. I hope there's somewhere in Seattle doing something up there, but if not then I'll have to try it when I get back.

chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-23 3:32 pm   Permalink

Got my hands on a bottle today. I'll be bringing it to a tailgate party tomorrow night, and trying it with a few foodies whose taste buds are more reliable than mine. If anyone has anything interesting to say, I'll post here.

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 01:03 am   Permalink

I hear there maybe a Seven Tiki Tiki mug available soon?????

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-24 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-24 01:03, cheekytiki wrote:
I hear there maybe a Seven Tiki Tiki mug available soon?????

That would be very coolacious. I'll be first in line to buy one if that comes to pass.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 4:09 pm   Permalink

Happy to report that Seven Tiki rum is available in the Cannibal Lounge! (i.e., my home) Haven't cracked it open yet so can't vouch for its worthiness, but the bottle sure is purty. Was just surprised to find it on the shelves locally.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 10:56 pm   Permalink

I had a double shot of it at Trader Vics last night.
not horrible, but not amazing.
too me it seems as though the rum is not a great rum, and the spices are hiding that.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-25 10:46 am   Permalink

Brought a bottle of 7tiki to a tailgate party last night, along with one of Sailor Jerry for comparison. It was a party, not a tasting, but I got most of the dozen or so imbibers to try both rums either neat or over ice, then with their choice of fresh squozen orange juice or Mexican sugary Coca-cola. The consensus: the new stuff [actually both were new to over half the sample group, who are are not rum or tropical drink aficionados despite being devoted semi-regulars at Forbidden Island], i.e. the 7tiki, was a tad lighter and sweeter than the SJ, but not so much as to turn off a couple of drinkers, including my wife, who hate those qualities in mixed drinks. Poll was about 2-1 in favor of 7T over SJ when neat or on the rocks; similar or slightly higher preference for 7T with the mixers. Regular drinkers of Myers&oj definitely went for the 7T with oj. Both rums had their partisans; both will have their place at Cottesloe Beach, the tiki bar in my backyard. The most important result of last night's event, however: the Giants beat the green and yellow pond scum 6-3.

VeroTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-28 10:39 am   Permalink

Hi all,
Can you tell me where in Florida you can purchase Seven Tiki Rum? Been looking locally (Vero Beach), but the rum selections here are minimal. Thanks!

View Profile of VeroTiki Send a personal message to VeroTiki  Email VeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation