FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food World's most expensive drink?
World's most expensive drink?
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 2:16 pm   Permalink

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/18/ireland.cocktail/
Be the first on your block to have a REAL Trader Vic's Mai Tai!

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 6:16 pm   Permalink

I know rum stops "aging" once it's bottled but does it keep for decades without changing?

What IS that awful-looking drink in that pic? It looks like somebody puked in a Collins glass!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-28 18:16, pappythesailor wrote:
I know rum stops "aging" once it's bottled but does it keep for decades without changing?

This isn't a direct answer to your question, as I don't know how much rum changes in the bottle but it's related to the topic.

Recently I heard rum expert Edward Hamilton say that most rum has a optimal aging point at about 10 years or less, depending on factors like what container it's aged in, at what temperature and humidity, etc. So, most really old rums are actually blends of the oldest rums (which may not taste very good straight as they are too dry) with younger rums. When a rum says it's 21 years old on the bottle it most likely is a blend of 21 year old rums and younger rums. This may explain why many people (including Edward Hamilton) prefer Appleton VX over the older Appleton Extra, and Barbancourt 8 year (5 star) over 15 year (Estate Reserve).

Based on this it seems silly to me to spend that much money on rum, or drinks made with such rum. Some people just have money to throw away.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here's to reasonably-priced rum!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 10:58 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-03 23:00 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation