[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Big Tiki Article in American Heritage Magazine
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Big Tiki Article in American Heritage Magazine
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 10:42 am   Permalink

My Dad gets this mag. He called me up & quizzed me on tiki history as he read it!!

Pretty neat article, mostly taken from Wayne Curtis' book "and a bottle of Rum".

Pick up the mag if you get a chance...

online excerpts here:
http://www.americanheritage.com/events/articles/web/20060819-rum-alcohol-tiki-pirates.shtml

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:42 am   Permalink

pretty informational. Sounds like a good read.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:50 am   Permalink

The actual magazine article has alot of nice little inset articles...top 10 tiki bars, the essential reading list, etc etc.

And the rum book sounds like something I may have to pick up in the near future.

Here's the begining of the article from A.H. (scanned unreadable). Focuses entirely on tiki.....

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-08-29 12:40 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 10:06 pm   Permalink

Where would one be able to pick up copies of this magazine? Jeff Berry gives the rum book author the thumbs up, he met him in New Orleans.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 2:21 pm   Permalink

Not sure where to get it without a subscription bigbro. (as my dad said "only old farts like me get this magazine!")

You're quoted a few times and the BOT is referenced, as well as Beachbum Berry's books, Tiki RoadTrip, Tiki Quest, Tiki Central and Critiki!!!

The guy did his homework. Its a nice article...kind of like a readers digest of tiki history.

I'm going by Barnes & Noble on the way home tonight. I'll see if they have any copies of it there & let ya know.

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 09:02 am   Permalink

Mag is for sale at Barnes & Nobel. Prob for sale at any book/magazine store with a big selection.

Worth hunting down if you've got a few minutes. I also bought the "and a bottle of rum" book by the same author.

Started reading it last night, and its very good. Highly reccomend it.

Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 7:38 pm   Permalink

Very enjoyable quick read (link in first post in this thread)! And to top it off it ends with this wonderful piece of trivia:
For instance, we learn that a Mai Tai was the first thing Patty Hearst wanted after being sprung from her Symbionese Liberation Army rap.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zombieki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-07 1:27 pm   Permalink

The full article is up on their web page. Follow this link:

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2006/4/2006_4_38_print.shtml

View Profile of Zombieki Send a personal message to Zombieki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 3:12 pm   Permalink

Thank you, what a great read!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 4:24 pm   Permalink

Wayne Curtis has a weblog called Republic of Rum.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 6:07 pm   Permalink

Since American Heritage Magazine is "not" what I would call a mainstream mag so distribution to general populace will be limited. I had to ask for it @ Barnes & Noble was not easy to spot. Great article though & in the right publication would probably spark more interest in Tiki culture, but that just my 2 cents

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MisterMagoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-27 10:28 pm   Permalink

Pretty good article, but nothing we don't already know from Book of Tiki and Tiki Road Trips.

What's the deal with that pic of the Tonga Room on the main page?

Looks HEAVILY photoshopped.

View Profile of MisterMagoo Send a personal message to MisterMagoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-09-28 5:17 pm   Permalink

And, until I get a chance to thank him personally next week, cheers to JT for the mention of FI in the article.

mahalo!!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-28 17:17, martiki wrote:
And, until I get a chance to thank him personally next week, cheers to JT for the mention of FI in the article.

You're welcome!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 6:18 pm   Permalink

Great article.
Wait...
"Ice-skating nuns and pesky otters"???
I... I must see these paintings!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation