FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Bizarre attempts at Polynesia...bandwagon jumpers of the golden age of tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Bizarre attempts at Polynesia...bandwagon jumpers of the golden age of tiki
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 10:44 am   Permalink

In my ramblings I always pick up bizarre 50's attempts at Hawaiian records by people from other genres from the golden days when the tiki genre was being defined and laid out for us.....here's a few of the stars of that show so far: Hawaii via the dusty old west ala Marty Robbins? Hawaii with a doo-wop twist? Good old down home Les Paul style Hawaii? Or Polynesia as told by the Wild Goose himself?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 10:47 am   Permalink

Lovers Luau is quite good--lots of reverby production & the same old standards done LES PAUL style--I found that on CD and later sold it on ebay after throwing it into my iPod---not real ESSENTIAL but pretty good
Tennesee Ernie FORD? cripes--that CAN'T be good.....

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:35 am   Permalink

Don't forget Hank Snow's attempt to cash in!

Snow in Hawaii

A few original tunes on there too!

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-03-03 10:53 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:52 am   Permalink

hank snow totally rocks!

for the past few weeks i've been doing some pretty heavy research in "hillbilly hula" tunes. there is a LOT of cross over with old timey country western artists and hawaiian songs. i think it is due to the slide guitar, that is the gateway into attempting hawaiian songs.

weirdly enough, a lot of the original songs made up by these singers are actually pretty catchy. if you come to hooptylau, you will get a swingin' cd of all these almost hit-makers! yeeeeeeeeeeHAW!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-29 12:13 pm   Permalink

I love the Hillbilly versions of exotica. Some of the great pedal steel players from Western Swing and Country did Hawaiian music as well, like Leon McAuliffe and Herb Remington. I think it was more of a case of steel guitar from early country influencing Hawaiian music, and vice versa, than it was bandwagon jumping. I have some Western Swing tunes from the 30s about Hawaii in my collection so it goes way back 20 years before the exotica craze hit its peak.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 12:31 pm   Permalink

On other records Hank did other island tunes like "Hula Rock".

Then there's Speedy West's "West of Hawaii"

Good stuff.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lemonsqueezer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-29 7:55 pm   Permalink

From the immense popularity of Hawaiian music it's no wonder that countless pop musicians from all genres (western swing, hillbilly, country, r'n'b, rock'n'roll, pop, jazz or what ever you call it) did record hawaiian tunes incl. such famous Artists like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Connie Francis, Perez Prado, Andrew Sisters, Elvis, Bill Haley and many many others.

But are the listed examples really bizzare? It was mainstream. Annette's Hawaii Album has a kitsch factor where I could agree to call it bizarre. As English is not my mother language I think miss a lot of details in lyrics when you can say that the weirdness starts. So what other examples of Hawaiian pop music can you really call bizarre?

Many of the popular Hawaiian Pop tunes like (In The Middle Of The Island, Buddy Knox's Hula Love, Lips of Wine, those hula hoop songs) where translated into German and many of those results ARE bizarre as the lyrics are often extremely stupid and rubbish wrong translations (but a lot of FUN Of course! But only if you understand German)

And now back to the records discussed above, I personally love a lot of this stuff. In fact you can find many catchy tunes here, where you still can dance to. The Tennesee Ernie Ford record has probably the most danceable version of Pearly Shells that you can find (I play it a little bid slower), a great Version. He also does a great version on a very easy to find 45 from In The Middle Of The Island. & Btw. Hank's 'Hula Rock' was actually a cover of a Dusty Rose nr.5 hit.

In general it's also recommended to check the 45 boxes as many artists did only record one 45 side with a Hawaiian influenced tune.

[ This Message was edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-08-29 20:18 ]

View Profile of lemonsqueezer Send a personal message to lemonsqueezer  Email lemonsqueezer Goto the website of lemonsqueezer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2006-08-29 8:19 pm   Permalink

I've got about 16 great Cowboy Hawaiian mp3s by Hank Snow (The singing Ranger). Really good stuff. Let me know if you'd like me to share them on Rapidshare. Other celebrity Hawaiian lps to consider include Bing Crosby and Burl Ives.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2006-08-29 8:26 pm   Permalink

Among some of my more "Bizarre" Hawaiian lps are a few in the genre of Hawaiian Dixieland. A strange mix.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik

Posted: 2006-08-30 03:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
> I've got about 16 great Cowboy Hawaiian mp3s
> by Hank Snow (The singing Ranger). Really good
> stuff. Let me know if you'd like me to share
> them on Rapidshare. Other celebrity Hawaiian
> lps to consider include Bing Crosby and Burl
> Ives.

Sounds good to me. Are you planning to zip them
into one file (I hope so). Looking forward to
hearing them.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 10:08 pm   Permalink

Lord, and Hank Snow's Wahine looks like a Hawaiian Loretta Lynn..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
John in Montreal
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 08:18 am   Permalink

One of my favorites...

Vic Damone's Strange Enchantment (1962)... orchestra arranged and conducted by Billy May... Very exotic stuff, especially for an Italian-American from Brooklyn.

View Profile of John in Montreal Send a personal message to John in Montreal  Email John in Montreal Goto the website of John in Montreal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 11:18 am   Permalink

You guys interested in Texas Swing, steel guitar, Speedy West should all check out Tiki Bong. He is very much into this stuff and has knowledge of most of it.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-21 12:50 pm   Permalink

C'mon - what about THESE two?!
No collection is complete without;

Burl's huge mitts almost swallow up that l'il uke...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-21 12:58 pm   Permalink

Ooooops...
Almost forgot - Liberace's brother, George!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation