FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What is this?
What is this?
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:21 am   Permalink

I just got this at a second hand store. They had it tagged as "Aboriginal Shield". I'm pretty sure it's not Aboriginal and I'm dang sure it's not a shield. Anyone got a clue what it is?

I think it is South Pacific and possibly something to do with tapa cloth making.

It's about 24 inches long and about 7 inches wide at the widest. It is extremely heavy for it's size and has a small handle carved in the top. The bottom is slightly convex and it has patterns carved in the bottom. The patterns are long lines that alternate at regular intervals. You can sort of see that in the image. Those patterns run tip to tip. My thinking is that it may have been used to place a pattern on wet tapa. The design of this thing seems to warrant a rocking from tip to tip on a flat surface.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 7:10 pm   Permalink

Memories, was in Jorsey one time and got whacked in the head with that !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:56 pm   Permalink

Pretty sure they were right, it looks like an aboriginal shield to me. Tapa beaters look like this: http://www.tribalmania.com/TAPABEATERS.htm

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 08:42 am   Permalink

Yep. It appears to be an Aboriginal shield. The same site listed above had a couple of sheids and mine looks like those.

Thanks for the direction. Now at least I know what it is.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation