FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 Next Page )
Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 4:47 pm   Permalink

Kia ora! Io Orana! Aloha!
Warmest greetings from New Zealand to all of my kindred tiki-lovers... We have never met, but a couple of months of 'lurking' has found me wanting to introduce myself...

-------

My name is Andy Ruskin & I am a fulltime self-employed 'stonesmith' from my home-based workshop on the West Coast of the Sth. Isld, Aotearoa (New Zealand). The 'jade country'...

Some of you may have already seen my work for sale on eBay or perhaps on our main NZ auction site, TradeMe. I work almost exclusively with New Zealand 'greenstone'/pounamu (nephrite jade), creating unique, one-off designs; mainly pendants & the occasional small sculpture. Our friend TIKI is one of my 'specialties' & I believe I am gaining a good reputation for quality & originality. (nearing 150 thus far, all different..!!)

*I am not simply here to plug my work, but will certainly be using the marketplace forum to point anyone interested towards work that can be purchased. I have deliberately posted my first message (hope thats ok/kosha?, Im a newbie...)here as I intend to put up pictures of 'old' work that I consider to be some of my best; simply for the joy of sharing (& lets be honest, maybe a little 'ego-stroking', haha -appreciation is the artists soul-food Happy to discuss jade carving technique if anyone is interested.

I also have great appreciation for others' work & have a small but diverse collection of Polynesian tikis, piccies & music that adorn my workshop walls & give daily inspiration...

I consider myself a very lucky man to be 'navigating my own waka', hanging out with my young family ('almost' wife & 2 pre-schoolers) in a beautiful part of the world, & supporting it all by doing what I love most, yeehaa!!

-------

Pounamu is my muse... Those who have come into contact with this amazing stone will understand these words. She is a unique substance in this world, ideally suited as a material for talisman/pendants due to her extreme toughness & obvious beauty...

I am of part-Maori descent, my Iwi being Kai Tahu/ Kati Mamoe, from the very deep southern areas of NZ. Some beautiful pounamu artifacts have been left by my ancestors & I feel that I am picking up a long-forgotten family tradition, and carrying it forward with pride. I label my work as Contemporary Polynesian as I draw inspiration not only from our Maori culture, but from all three Island outposts of Polynesia, and a little in between...

-------
Cant promise how often I will be able to chat, busy, busy, but will endeavour to check in at least a couple of times per week. Being fairly 'green' (jade carvers joke to all of this I am unsure of how inundated I may become (or not!)...
-------

Enough of my yap! Heres a few that Im particularly proud of, hope you enjoy them!!!

Back to the 'grind' (another jade carvers joke for me...

Ka kite, Andy

PS: Remember you are viewing these much larger than real-life, please forgive any magnified indiscretions...

Big fella with a Hawaiian flava! 2004-6

Overall shape of this represents a rei-puta, or carved whaletooth... 2006

My own personal hei-tiki. Incredibly dark stone, appearing almost black until held to light... 2004

Hei-tiki wearin' a hei-tiki..!! 2006

The Warrior, the Thinker & the Trickster... (sorry about dark pic) 2006

Meditating tiki! Beautiful, man... 2006

[ This Message was edited by: tamapoutini 2008-10-22 18:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-12-28 02:51 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 5:07 pm   Permalink

Hi Andy! It's way past my bedtime here in England so this'll be brief. Just had to say that your hei-tiki carvings are superb! But you know that right? Stating the bloody obvious is a speciality of mine. Still credit where it is due. Keep up the great work! I love the new angle/twist you have given these guys!! I love the 'Big fella with a Hawaiian flava!' and the 'Thinker' is dead neat! When I'm more awake I'll check out your wares on eBay and your site. Until then...Goodnight! - Trader Jim.

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 7:15 pm   Permalink

Love the meditating tiki

Welcome to TC

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 7:27 pm   Permalink

Fancy seeing you here...
Andy is the man when it comes to contemporary pounamu/jade/greenstone tikis, but still with more than a nod to tradition. To think just few years ago we were wide-eyed students unlocking the mysteries of the stone!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys for warm welcome! I should add that eBays sales are fairly few & far between, maybe a piece per week max (nothing at the moment...) Keep watching though, my tradename there is Tamapoutini also. Sorry to announce, there is no website either. Hopefully within the next 12mths... Glad to be here! Ka kite, Andy

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 7:53 pm   Permalink

Tamapoutini, First, Big Welcome to Tiki Central . Come on in and stay awhile, Or should I Say Come in, it's about time you introduced yerself. We Knew you would come on in one of these dayz, We're glad to have you. Your Fellow Paipo has told us All about you and he threw in some good stuff too.Actually he hasn't said a word until you popped in.
Love your Stuff there! I can see that you are ea bit of a rebel, but Like to hang on to the old ways and structure. Of course the piece I love the best is your personal HeiTiki. I am on the verge of carving some of those guyz in wood since wood is my thing and I can make it sing sometimes.
SO.Come on in and Show us your work and show us how to do it so we can do our own and put you outta business! (never Happen, see,we can't carve up here like you bloaks do down there. Something about things always spinning the wrong way. ) Any way as I was saying,,,WELCOME

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2006-08-31 04:54 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:54 pm   Permalink

Tamapoutini,

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I slid through your post and the carvings you shared, and must admit I love them all. Nice stuff. So now we have at least two rock grinders from NZ; good stuff! I can really appreciate what you're doing in the stone as I've been on a bit of a bone pendant tear myself. Please keep posting your jade works and keep us up to date with your products. Thanks for coming into TC to hang out; pull up a chair and hang a while....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2006-08-31 15:32 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 9:19 pm   Permalink

as the owner of a few of andy's pieces i can attest to their beauty. andy is a great carver with wonderful creativity.

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2006-08-31 12:13 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 9:27 pm   Permalink

I'm Jealous KTD!!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 9:33 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous work...Beautiful Narangi...True Maori craftsmanship. I have a great admiration for Maori art..nearly incomparable in the carving world. Those are heirloom quality.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 12:51 am   Permalink

Hello again all! Really pleased to receive such a warm welcome on my first day. A really encouraging vibe & a lot of inspirational work to look at. I have only dipped my toe into whats going on here & have a heap of catching up to do... We have always been a bit removed from the whole US 'Tiki-lounge/luau' thing down this end of the world, am finding it most interesting!

Benzart: Had already checked out your homepage, love your stuff & the fact that you swing from netsuke-size to full-blown outrigger/totem is pretty impressive! I promise to put together an overview of my technique/tools before too long & am similarly looking forward to learning/trying a bit of the BIG stuff -the idea of carving with a chainsaw is very inline with our 'Kiwi/DIY' sensibilities (I reckon the 'old' Maoris would have LOVED one!!!) Ive never tried wood! Been involved with glass ,clay, bone, metals, & stone, but never wood..!! *So Paipos been hogging the limelight for himself, eh?teehee

Kingstiedie: The man who introduced me to TC! I didnt even realise that you had two of those!!! I remember the pieces for sure, but often the fate of pieces sold through galleries/traders remain a mystery to me. What a nice surprise! Good to see them all displayed too! Ka pai!

*Ill leave it there for now folks. Again my thanks for the warm welcome. Ill be back with some CARVING stuff before too long. WONT be an exact replica thread as my man Paipo. We work quite independantly, see each other rarely these days, and have really forged our own approaches to working stone...

Take care, happy carving! Andy

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 05:40 am   Permalink

Welcome aboard. Glad you shared. Wonderful carvings. I don't know how you guys carve stone, wood is hard enough to do. It's great to have more people from New Zealand aboard. Share more please.
JP

[ This Message was edited by: Johnnyp 2006-08-31 12:20 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 12:00 pm   Permalink

here are a couple of pics of the hei tiki tamapoutini did leaving all the original surface with just the form carved out. this is probably my favorite. i swiped your pics.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 12:06 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work!
You've just turned me around on the hei tiki.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 04:33 am   Permalink

Kia ora Folks, all excited about joining the community so Im back sooner than expected - Kids are in bed & almost wife is happily reading so I thought Id grab the opportunity to start my ramble on carving tiki in Greenstone/Pounamu/Nephrite jade... Im sure over time this will be seen by a few and I hope that it may educate & perhaps inspire some of you to try something a little different...

I will try to keep things brief & not hugely tech-talk, but this is my pet subject remember

Paipo has given you a pretty good rundown on the basic tools & processes commonly used by our local 'studio' stonecarver & I will jump on the opportunity to devote this thread to Pounamu carving in particular. Im a tiki-guy for sure, and this is my material of choice...
We have a bit of a unique industry in NZ, especially here in Westland, springing from the fact there is a natural jade occurance, discovered by the Maori around 1000 years ago. 3 main occurances, all in the Sth Island.
There are many books on the subject so I wont go on & on about the geology/formation/history, etc. 'Mana Pounamu. New Zealand Jade' by Russell J Beck is the book to have, all you could want to know...

*Give me a week & I will try to have the step-by-step Hei-tiki project done and posted here... Hope you enjoy it! I will carry on my browsing of your work for now...

-------

*Basement Kahuna!! Wow! I certainly cant claim to have discovered you but am your latest/greatest fan! What a character, what an artist! Love your stuff!...

**A heads-up for you hard-core wood carvers interested in Maori carving... Try a Google for the work of Roi Toia -He is THE MAN! for contemporary-yet-traditional whakairo/wood carving... I tried a search myself & after a fair bit of trawling came up with a fair bit of 'guff' but not so many pics (you just gotta see!!), but **If you can get your hands on 'Kahui Whetu'-Contemporary Maori Art/A carvers Perspective, by Roi Toia & Todd Couper (Reed Publishing (NZ) Ltd), I guarantee it will BLOW YOUR MIND!!!

Thats all for now young Grasshoppers... Im off to browse more BIG stuff... Andy

[ This Message was edited by: tamapoutini 2008-06-24 23:01 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation