[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food mixology beginner questions
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
mixology beginner questions
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 6:47 pm   Permalink

So I got the mixology bug, bought the Tiki Drinks book, bought like a million dollars of liquor (my god it cost $$ to stock a bar!!!!), and started mixing. I have some questions...

1) Is "sour mix" the same as sweet and sour mix?

2) Why does 151 seem to always get floated?

3) How do you measure crushed ice? I have cubes that go in the blender.... ????

4) Why does alcohol cost so much!!!!!!

thanks!!!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:00 pm   Permalink

1) No.

2) So it's the first thing to hit your lips and coat your mouth with its delicious rumminess.

3) Get out of the habit of measuring. Use what looks right and learn by experimentation and experience. It's very much like cooking. Notice how grandma hardly ever uses measuring spoons? Get to be like that.

4) Try cheap booze. Remember, cocktails were invented to mask the flavor of lousy booze, so in an awful lot of cocktails the delicate flavors of expensive booze are almost lost in the mixing of ingredients. For something simple like a Martini, where there are only two ingredients, well the quality of the source booze is paramount. But in a Cosmopolitan, where there are four ingredients, I've found it's possible to mix a Cosmo with cheap supermarket-type booze and come up with something that's quite as good as any $25 Cosmo I've had in Manhattan made with Grey Goose. Honest.

I would recommend you buy the paperback "Bartender's Bible," and not only for the recipes. The opening chapters discuss bar setup, what to stock for what kinds of bars, basic equipment to purchase, etc. Plus informative chapters on the interesting histories and qualities of the various types of booze.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:08 pm   Permalink

5) don't listen to satan's sin

ALWAYS measure PRECISELY though crushed ice isn't so important.

NEVER use cheap booze, purchase the best quality you can afford. Cheap booze will give you a hangover, and try to avoid flavoured rums, and bacardi rums. But bacardi 151 is ok.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:11 pm   Permalink

Hey, tikiwahine, you try putting three kids through college while still buying expensive booze! Hmph!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-30 18:47, Davez_tikiz wrote:
So I got the mixology bug, bought the Tiki Drinks book, bought like a million dollars of liquor (my god it cost $$ to stock a bar!!!!), and started mixing. I have some questions...

Welcome to the wonderful world 'behind' the bar! There is nothing quite like the drink you make on your own.....

Quote:

1) Is "sour mix" the same as sweet and sour mix?

Yes, and if you make your own you will be much happier with it compared to anything in a bottle.

Quote:

2) Why does 151 seem to always get floated?

Because if you made a drink with nothing but 151 you would be a fire hazard. The "Slightly Scientific" answer to your question is that as the ice melts your drink dilutes. If you float a shot of 151 on top, you are adding a very high proof alcohol on the 'top' of the drink to keep the alcohol level up as you introduce water to the mix. You will notice that most drinks with a 151 float are served with straws.

Quote:

3) How do you measure crushed ice? I have cubes that go in the blender.... ????

The specific answer is to get a whole bunch of ice and start blending. Count/measure the number of cubes that go in to fill you basic serving vessels. Then, when you are mixing into a cocktail glass you have an idea of how much ice to use.

Quote:

4) Why does alcohol cost so much!!!!!!

Because anything worth doing is worth doing well. This is doubly true behind the bar. When you go out to a bar, you are in a business and their are business concerns governing the drinks you are served. When you are in your own home-bar, the only consideration is what you like. And, if you are like me, you will only settle for premium and top-shelf ingredients. A little example for demonstration....

Beachbum Berry has a recipe for a $100 Mai-Tai. The ingredients to make the drink will set you back about a C-note (ish). Well, if you mix according to plan you will actually get 20 drinks out of the deal making your cost per cocktail an easy $5 which is considerably better than what you are going to find at your local watering hole. And, it is a top-shelf cocktail with nothing but the finest ingredients! Well..... you get the idea.

This is just the first step into a larger world of liver abuse and a never ending hunt for the next exotic flavor to go with that great bottle you found on the forgotten bottom shelf of your local liquor store.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-30 20:11, Satan's Sin wrote:
Hey, tikiwahine, you try putting three kids through college while still buying expensive booze! Hmph!

I didn't say buy expensive, I said buy the best you can afford

stop by for a drink sometime and I'll drown your cheap rum sorrows with a cocktail

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-30 20:08, Tikiwahine wrote:

...ALWAYS measure PRECISELY

Yeah, what she said. Free Pouring may be fine for simple drinks with two or three ingredients, but I really don't recommend doing that for a Zombie or Headhunter. You could hurt yourself

I would like to add the following three tips (some of them are abvious...):

1 - If you are trying something for the first time, see if you can get one of the little 3 oz bottles. That way you are not stuck with a fifth of something you dont like.

2 - When you mix a recipe for the first time, follow the recipe as exactly as you can. After you have had one, then start adjusting the recipe to your tastes (more lime, less lemon, etc....)

3 - Well, I dont really have a third suggestion other than to say "Drink what you like, and like what you drink." Its your cocktail at your bar, enjoy it.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 9:15 pm   Permalink

Great info- Thanks! I'll hunt around for the bartender's bible. I just ordered Grog Log off of Ebay... now the floating thing makes sense! Any more tips????

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 03:09 am   Permalink

Don't put your fingers in the ice crusher. Nellie, that hurts!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 06:29 am   Permalink

Floats are there to evaporate a bit and give a scent to a drink. 151 floats are there to allow you to not drink them. You can if you want, of course. Think of it as a garnish.

Ice is not required to be measured at all. As long as the drink fills the glass when you are done, you are fine. You'll know how much after just a few drinks have been mixed. Worrying about how much ice in a shaker is like worrying how much wood is in the fire to cook on. It makes the no real difference outside common sense.

Booze is to be bought slowly over time. My bar is so packed I can't get anything in it anymore, but when I started so many years ago, it would fit in a breadbox. You collect it like mugs.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 09:52 am   Permalink

I personally don't care for floaters. I prefer a drink that is even and smooth all the way to the last drop. I'm not too keen on the ZAP! you get at the end of a drink from a 151 floater.

Oh, and use fresh squeezed juices ALWAYS! This applies to lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit. For pineapple, buy the little cans. And if you can get them, use key limes instead of persian limes. Key limes are what the rest of the world just calls limes. They're smaller and more time consuming to get as much juice, but well worth the effort because the taste is superior. But since they are more tart, you might want to cut back a little on how much you use. For instance, 3/4oz if the recipe calls for 1oz.

And as far as cheap booze goes, some of it is quite good (Coruba, Cruzan). Just depends. Read up all you can here on Tiki Central and you'll find lots of good tips on good brands, expensive or otherwise.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 09:52, GatorRob wrote:
And if you can get them, use key limes instead of persian limes. Key limes are what the rest of the world just calls limes. They're smaller and more time consuming to get as much juice, but well worth the effort because the taste is superior.

Yikes, we sure don't call them regular limes up here! Key limes are tiny and time consuming and have a totally different flavour. Plus due to their thin, often tarnished skin they make for lousy garnish. But I do suggest trying them if you can get them! To me they're only available in bags of 20 or so, therefore I only use them when I have a special recipe in mind. Regular limes are big and juicy and 4 fer $1.

Do you really think the flavour is superior? I think a comparison is in order.
to the research lab!

Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-31 10:10 am   Permalink

canned pineapple? oh the horror!

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-08-31 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 09:52, GatorRob wrote:
I personally don't care for floaters. I prefer a drink that is even and smooth all the way to the last drop. I'm not too keen on the ZAP! you get at the end of a drink from a 151 floater.

You're right. If you gulp your drink down too fast that floater will be a shock. Either slow down or use your swizzle stick. Personally I would never turn down the float, just know how to use it.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 05:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 10:57, Hakalugi wrote:
just know how to use it.

I love it... know how to use your floaters.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation