Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food mixology beginner questions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
mixology beginner questions
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-02 15:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
And please don't tell me to squeeze fresh pineapple juice!

Absolutely not. You could pull a muscle doing that. Don't squeeze the cans either.

Quote:

And remember, people: key lime juice is not a substitute for lime juice. The two have completely different flavors and can rarely play the other's role. Look in our recent big Mai Tai thread. Someone made a Mai Tai with key lime juice and it was horrible!

I've made a number of drinks with key lime juice and they've all been wonderful. Order a drink at the Mai Kai with lime juice in it and it will be key lime juice. Leroy Schmaltz makes his Mai Tais with key lime juice. Need I go on?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-02 15:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
And remember, people: key lime juice is not a substitute for lime juice. The two have completely different flavors and can rarely play the other's role. Look in our recent big Mai Tai thread. Someone made a Mai Tai with key lime juice and it was horrible!

While they are definitely different, that doesn't mean that everyone dislikes them. It is also possible that Sabu was referring to a specific variety of key lime (or mexican lime) as he referred to it as a "Fowler Lime".

Also this is another quote from that same Mai Tai thread:

Quote:

Martiki wrote:
1. Limes- Chances are very good that he made the first Mai Tai with a Bearss/Persian. I think Key Limes make a nice Mai Tai, but are too fussy for my taste. The juice quantity/quality ratio of the Bearss is nearly unbeatable. I should know: I use six thousand of them a month. The king of the margarita, Julio Bermejo of Tommy's/Tres Agaves swears by the Persian as well for his flawless margaritas. Yes, he is the Mexican government's tequila ambassador to the United States (real job!) But I digress. And they're extra great now that they're in season.

Personally I really like the seedless Bearss/Persian limes.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Kona Chris 2006-09-03 06:49 ]

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 08:48 am   Permalink

All I meant is that key limes taste very different from "normal" ones. Drinks that substitute one for the other may be good, but the taste and drink is completely different, and not all drinks are prime for the switch.

Not to mention that sweetness is also different within the two varieties, so proportions must also be different during the mixing.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-03 08:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
All I meant is that key limes taste very different from "normal" ones. Drinks that substitute one for the other may be good, but the taste and drink is completely different, and not all drinks are prime for the switch.

Not to mention that sweetness is also different within the two varieties, so proportions must also be different during the mixing.

Which reminds me of another great tip for the home mixologist....

Taste Everything!

Pour yourself a little sip of everything on your bar so you can taste it individually. You will get to know your bar very intimately and have a good idea of what will and wont go with what. You will also have a good idea of how to adjust a recipe to your tastes or to substitute ingredients.

For example... I suffer from frequent heartburn so I usually reduce the citrus ingredients a bit in most drinks if I plan on having more than one (of which I usually do....). But to reduce the lemon or lime in a drink requires the other ingredients to be adjusted as well and you wont be able to make those adjustments unless you have at least a basic understanding of the tastes of the other ingredients. And, some cocktails have far too many ingredients to simply say less of this always equals more of that.

Taste everything you have and you will be able to decide for yourself what works in your cocktails whether it is Fresh Key Limes or Frozen Lemon or Bottled Lychee Nectar.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 10:55 am   Permalink

Good idea... got me some fresh limes today .... so what's the best way to squeeze them?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 12:11 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-03 12:11, Tikiwahine wrote:

And you can find these in Bed, Bath & Beyond, William & Sonoma, Target, etc.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 2:20 pm   Permalink

Cool! I'm off to get one now.... thanks!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-03 14:20, Davez_tikiz wrote:
Cool! I'm off to get one now.... thanks!

Well? How 'ya doing behind the bar? Any new recipes you willing to share?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 05:53 am   Permalink

Nothing that new.... just trying to make stuff from Beachbum Berry's Intoxica.. having a blast! Gotta buy some tiki mugs now.... and some Demarara

Jazztiki

Posted: 2006-10-11 12:58 pm   Permalink

I too am just starting out and the best advice I have found for keeping costs down is don't try to make every drink. Just pick a few to start with that use similar ingredients and branch out from there. And I have watched many Tiki masters measure their drinks even tho they have made them countless times, so don't try to wing it.

View Profile of Jazztiki Send a personal message to Jazztiki  Email Jazztiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-11 12:58, Jazztiki wrote:
I too am just starting out and the best advice I have found for keeping costs down is don't try to make every drink. Just pick a few to start with that use similar ingredients and branch out from there. And I have watched many Tiki masters measure their drinks even tho they have made them countless times, so don't try to wing it.

You have started your journey well.....

Start simple, start small. It has taken me about two years of monthly trips to the liquor store to get the bar stocked. My suggestion to you and the pocketbook is to get a bottle of liquor and a bottle something else each trip (makes it about $50 a trip). After a while you should have enough to make just about anything in the Grog Log.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation