FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-03 5:34 pm   Permalink

I just got this find at my Aunts' retirement village here in South Florida, The lady she got it from "who knew the artist" said it was a promotional advertisement piece for a "Polynesian gardens fire dance" from 1959.
If anyone knows anything about this I'd love some info please. This looks like a Lithograph with slightly damaged edges, obviously removed from the original frame.
The back has framers tape that says "Schwarms Photo Center Bahia Mar Commercial Photography - Illustrative- Architectural-Marine".
Perhaps this piece was for The Bahia Mar here in Ft Lauderdale Fl?

Any insight into this would be awesome, thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/fsmminister/Tikipicture

[ This Message was edited by: thegreenman 2006-09-03 17:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thegreenman 2006-09-03 17:36 ]

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 6:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha, and welcome!

I don't know the answers to your questions right off, but perhaps someone local to South Florida will be able to shed light on it. I do, though, think it's fantastic:

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 6:32 pm   Permalink

yeah, i love it! as a newbie, i know nothing about it, though.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-03 6:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the responses. Do you think I could bring it to the bazaar next month at The yankee Clipper? Maybe someone would know something about it there?

I'm a tiki newbie, just building a tiki bar lanai at home and hunting for decor. This is my first find, and I'm thinking it's a pretty good start.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 10:02 pm   Permalink

I think your best bet is Kailuageoff; he's giving a presentation on Florida's tiki history during Hukilau. He'll be able to rattle off all (well, many, at least) of the places in south Florida that would have had a Polynesian revue to promote in 1959.

I did a quick search on "McVicker" (I'm sure you did the same), and turned up an artist named J. Jay McVicker -- some of his art is of a similar tone, but his style is more abstract, and his signature doesn't match the one on this piece. Oh well!

Are there any other details you can offer, at all? Is there any hope of getting in contact with the woman your aunt acquired it from?

I've posted about your piece
on my blog as well -- hopefully someone out there will know something, if not today, then a year down the road, when ol' McVicker's granddaughter is Googling for information about her grandpa (it happens a lot around here!).

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 01:40 am   Permalink

That is one hell of a cool picture, and one that I would LOVE to have a copy of! Awesome find!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-04 05:32 am   Permalink

Unfortunately I cant get tickets to see Kailuageoff's presentation as it appears they are sold out. I did get a ticket to the bazaar. I sent Kailuageoff an email, hopefully he won't be annoyed.
I took a picture of the framers' tape thinking it may be of some use.

okay the latest news is that this painting was done for a advertisement for the Polynesian room of the Yankee Clipper.

[ This Message was edited by: thegreenman 2006-09-04 13:56 ]

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 12:47 pm   Permalink

Sorry, it has taken me so long to reply. I have been slaving on my Hukilau presentation before heading out of town for a week and have not had much time to come up for air.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information on this print. It is very nice and mahalo for sharing. Quite a find, really. This would definitely be worthy of reproducing and perhaps selling prints of. Does anyone else think it looks strangely like a modern rendition on vintage tiki...? Everything goes full circle, I suppose.

Anyway, the setting reminds me somewhat of the South Pacific in Hallandale or perhaps the Luau in Miami.... maybe more of the Luau since they were located right on Biscayne Bay. Wayne Travassos at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach has made it clear to me that many different Polynesian dance groups performed up and down the east coast with various dancers and musicians coming and going, much like members of struggling rock'n'roll bands. So it could be this was a very temporary setup, rather than an enduring establishment such as the Mai-Kai, etc.

I wish I could be of more help, but bits of tiki history turn up all the time and maybe more will be known about this print eventually.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-09-12 12:48 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-12 12:47, Kailuageoff wrote:

... Does anyone else think it looks strangely like a modern rendition on vintage tiki...? Everything goes full circle, I suppose.

I know, it is almost too much of a clichee...but clichees are clichees because they are based on reality!
I definitely would love to use that image for my Tiki Modern book, I need a vintage image with an A-frame and with people! Please let me know, greenman, if you can help me out.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 4:16 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2006-09-12 16:25 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 11:51 am   Permalink

Why is it that the two fire dancers remind me of Peter Pan? That's the first thought that came to my head when I first saw this and I haven't been able to shake it. Maybe it's the stance or his ear is just a little big and pointy. But I do love the picture.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-17 11:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-12 12:47, Kailuageoff wrote:
Sorry, it has taken me so long to reply. I have been slaving on my Hukilau presentation before heading out of town for a week and have not had much time to come up for air.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information on this print. It is very nice and mahalo for sharing. Quite a find, really. This would definitely be worthy of reproducing and perhaps selling prints of. Does anyone else think it looks strangely like a modern rendition on vintage tiki...? Everything goes full circle, I suppose.

Anyway, the setting reminds me somewhat of the South Pacific in Hallandale or perhaps the Luau in Miami.... maybe more of the Luau since they were located right on Biscayne Bay. Wayne Travassos at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach has made it clear to me that many different Polynesian dance groups performed up and down the east coast with various dancers and musicians coming and going, much like members of struggling rock'n'roll bands. So it could be this was a very temporary setup, rather than an enduring establishment such as the Mai-Kai, etc.

I wish I could be of more help, but bits of tiki history turn up all the time and maybe more will be known about this print eventually.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-09-12 12:48 ]

Thanks for the Reply KG, It turns out this piece was done for The Polynesian room of the Yankee Clipper.

I'll be bringing it to the Hukilau Bazaar so Sven can photograph it. If anyone wants to check it out catch me there sometime Saturday. I'll be the guy that looks like Ed Kowalczyk of the band Live with slightly more hair.

-Chris

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 11:08 am   Permalink

Man that's a great painting! I love it.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 3:33 pm   Permalink

Yes, that is awesome! Definately consider making prints of that, I'd love to hang one in my home tiki bar!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

I've had this print as my background image on my computers since it was first posted. I took the full resolution image from the original link, straightened it in Picasa, and then cropped it so I had just the picture. The result came out VERY well. I'd love to have a super high-res photo of this image!

If you don't want to take the time to do the same thing yourself, PM me with your desktop resolution and an email address, and I'll send you one tailored for your desktop.

Hmmm, I just tried the original link, and the image is gone. Ah well, glad I saved it when I did!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Kona Chris 2007-07-26 15:51 ]

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation