FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » 1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 08, 2006
Posts: 325
From: st. pete fl
Posted: 2007-07-31 4:07 pm   Permalink

that is a beautiful piece. definatly an incredible first find for the home decor. if prints become avail, i too would be very interested.

 
View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Posts: 73
From: 10.8 miles west of the Mai Kai
Posted: 2009-03-27 05:28 am   Permalink

Hey all, sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I'm considering making prints of this piece and selling them.

I'm wondering:

1 how much would it cost to make the prints, and where would I go about doing this?
2 how much would they be worth?
3 is anyone interested?

Chris


 
View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 04, 2008
Posts: 108
From: USA
Posted: 2009-03-27 05:54 am   Permalink

i'm not an attorney but I do have some links to the publishing industry. One thing to consider is any copyright issue. My personal belief is that you should be ok. Works produced after 1910 or so are protected by the international copyright convention. However, US copyright law prior to the 1980s used to require an explicit declaration (i.e. copyright 1959 the acme tiki company) and renewal every 28 years. So if the print was from 1950s, you should be ok, if there is no explicit declaration on it.

All the same, many of the reproduced mugs and prints that you see from iconic tiki establishments and even defunct ones are licensed or at least claim to be.

In terms of getting a print out. It depends on 2 things, the condition/quality of your original, and the quality of the copies you want. If you want to make art quality prints, you have to submit proofs and pay for color seperation and any additional processing. Even if your print looks pristine, bear in mind that the original proof that your print was made from was likely higher quality than what you have, so even in order to produce an identical quality print you will need to have post-processing. There will be a minimum order (usually at least in the 100s) even for limited art prints. The investment may not be unreasonable since limited prints are themselves valuable.

Hope this helps!
_________________
damn it, i'm moving to hawaii


 
View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Posts: 73
From: 10.8 miles west of the Mai Kai
Posted: 2009-03-27 06:06 am   Permalink

Thanks Ta...

one point - this is the original piece, not a lithograph as I first posted. I know nothing about painting, so I asked an art major. She pointed out the actual paint and brushmarks on the canvas.

So I wonder if this changes anything?






Quote:

On 2009-03-27 05:54, tikiauction wrote:
i'm not an attorney but I do have some links to the publishing industry. One thing to consider is any copyright issue. My personal belief is that you should be ok. Works produced after 1910 or so are protected by the international copyright convention. However, US copyright law prior to the 1980s used to require an explicit declaration (i.e. copyright 1959 the acme tiki company) and renewal every 28 years. So if the print was from 1950s, you should be ok, if there is no explicit declaration on it.

All the same, many of the reproduced mugs and prints that you see from iconic tiki establishments and even defunct ones are licensed or at least claim to be.

In terms of getting a print out. It depends on 2 things, the condition/quality of your original, and the quality of the copies you want. If you want to make art quality prints, you have to submit proofs and pay for color seperation and any additional processing. Even if your print looks pristine, bear in mind that the original proof that your print was made from was likely higher quality than what you have, so even in order to produce an identical quality print you will need to have post-processing. There will be a minimum order (usually at least in the 100s) even for limited art prints. The investment may not be unreasonable since limited prints are themselves valuable.

Hope this helps!




 
View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 04, 2008
Posts: 108
From: USA
Posted: 2009-03-27 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-27 06:06, thegreenman wrote:
one point - this is the original piece, not a lithograph as I first posted.



Not really, bear in mind that a lot of this is gray area, not really clarified or even enforced. But in general authors and artists have to sign an explicit transfer of rights for you to own the copyright even if you now own the original work. Think in terms of owning the original manuscript to a famous book or movie, it certainly doesn't transfer the copyright or it would be very valuable indeed. Even if it is an original, there may be similar or identical original artwork copies which were made. In most cases authors and artists working for a commercial publisher already transferred all rights to the publisher. When the publisher goes under, the catalog is bought for pennies on the dollar by holding companies.
_________________
damn it, i'm moving to hawaii


 
View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 11169
From: Tiki Island, above the Silverlake
Posted: 2009-03-27 07:28 am   Permalink

I would buy one! Thank you again for letting me use it in Tiki Modern, it really enlivens the A-Frame page! I wish it would have been reproduced bigger, but I did not have enough space.

What is so neat about the painting is the fact that, just like graphics done for 50s and 60s TV ads, it is rendered completely in black and white, since it was obviously meant to be reproduced as just that. I bet that is a lost art nowadays, just like lighting for black and white.

I really would not worry too much about rights, the market for this is too small. Not that you couldn't make some money of selling prints, but not enough for other folks to bother.


 
View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 16, 2007
Posts: 4318
From: Santa Barbara, CA
Posted: 2009-03-27 07:52 am   Permalink

I would be in for a print as well, very cool.

DC


 
View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Posts: 73
From: 10.8 miles west of the Mai Kai
Posted: 2009-03-27 07:54 am   Permalink

Thanks Sven,

I'm wondering if it is actually by JJ McVicker, and how to contact his estate to verify authenticity.
If it's really one of his pieces, I'd probably get sued into oblivion for unauthorized reproductions. If it's just a knock-off or some unknown with the same name, I wouldn't really worry.

If anyone has any experience with these kind of issues please email me, I'd be happy to share whatever proceeds there might be with someone who can get the rights sorted out.

chris(-at-)thegreenman(-dot-)us


 
View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2005
Posts: 1092
From: The Beaches of South Bay, SoCal
Posted: 2009-03-27 10:52 am   Permalink

this is a "best option". This company has enormous scanners that are made specifically for art and art reproduction, which will maintain the quality and detail of the original, bar none. See if there is one similar located in Florida...Or call the L.A. branch and see if they know of any options in FLA...Good luck!

Oops, it would have helped to include the link:

http://www.aandi.com/

I also forgot to add that you would need a drum scan depending on the size of the original print.Once you get a digital file of the print, you can take the disk or mail it to any print shop for the prints. I would only use AandI or similar company to obtain a mirror image scan of the original. I would search for another lower priced company to make the prints from the scan.

Custom Drum Scans
Turnaround: 2-4 days
These high-resolution scans are ideal for Lightjet prints, Giclée prints and digital transparencies. To help determine what size scan you might need, refer to our Standard Print File Size chart.
RGB or CMYK file size
30MB $25
60MB $30
100MB $45
150MB $60
200MB $70

http://www.aandi.com/scan.html



[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-27 11:00 ]


 View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 17, 2004
Posts: 141
From: So Cal
Posted: 2009-03-27 11:37 am   Permalink

Count me in for one! Very cool!

 
View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 11169
From: Tiki Island, above the Silverlake
Posted: 2009-03-27 11:47 am   Permalink

Why not just make them to order, here on TC? Figure out a (for today's economy: low!) price, and see how many orders you get.

This thing was done as a COMMERCIAL job for some brochure, that artist got paid for it, and thousands of other commercial illustrations like it have been thrown away. It's not the friggin' Madonna, it's old forgotten commercial art. It is only "art" to some because WE think so. NOBODY has ever come forward and asked for money for the hundreds of orphaned images I used in my books --and I would take umbrage at that if they would, because it was my work that re-imbued them with a context and thus with a value that did not exist previously.

There where a few images that I wanted to use that were cost-prohibitive, and this issue is one of my pet peeves: Greedy rights holders wrongly believing they are sitting on some imagined "gold mine", while all they are doing is keeping beautiful art from being rediscovered and re-entering pop culture --upon which they MAYBE would start seeing a financial return. Now nobody is gonna see them. It's like the suing mania, it is restrictive, not creative.

This of course does not pertain to the current crop of artists in the Tiki field.


 
View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 04, 2008
Posts: 108
From: USA
Posted: 2009-03-27 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-27 07:54, thegreenman wrote:
how to contact his estate to verify authenticity.



the kicker is that it may be a moot point to contact his estate. if the piece was comissioned by the Yankee Clipper Hotel, they are the ones who ultimately own the rights regardless of who painted it. you can call them, but to tell you the truth sheraton corporate will probably be like "huh?" if you call them about this, and then transfer you to their corporate law firm who will want an arm and a leg. i say go for it, the piece predates the 80s, has no explicit copyright declaration (duh), and i doubt sheraton renewed the copyright in 1987.
_________________
damn it, i'm moving to hawaii


 
View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Posts: 636
From: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posted: 2009-03-27 12:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-27 11:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
Why not just make them to order, here on TC? Figure out a (for today's economy: low!) price, and see how many orders you get.

This thing was done as a COMMERCIAL job for some brochure, that artist got paid for it, and thousands of other commercial illustrations like it have been thrown away. It's not the friggin' Madonna, it's old forgotten commercial art. It is only "art" to some because WE think so. NOBODY has ever come forward and asked for money for the hundreds of orphaned images I used in my books --and I would take umbrage at that if they would, because it was my work that re-imbued them with a context and thus with a value that did not exist previously.

There where a few images that I wanted to use that were cost-prohibitive, and this issue is one of my pet peeves: Greedy rights holders wrongly believing they are sitting on some imagined "gold mine", while all they are doing is keeping beautiful art from being rediscovered and re-entering pop culture --upon which they MAYBE would start seeing a financial return. Now nobody is gonna see them. It's like the suing mania, it is restrictive, not creative.

This of course does not pertain to the current crop of artists in the Tiki field.



I'm with ya on this one ! ...well most ones lol
Thats the way this will keep going for our children ( dont have any myself) ,gotta get this stuff out of the bacement and into the sunshine ( of blowfish shine)so we can all appreciate it !
I'd be intrested in a print too !


 
View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2005
Posts: 1092
From: The Beaches of South Bay, SoCal
Posted: 2009-03-27 1:23 pm   Permalink

All that would need to be done is one good professional high resolution scan for less than $100/one time fee, and you can get 100 11"x17" posters made for as low as $99 with UV protection coating... At that rate, selling the print for $10+ S/H is worth all the effort taken, and the price for the print would be extremely buyer friendly. I would buy at least one as well. Maybe two, and use one as a gift!

 
View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 20, 2007
Posts: 1273
From: Indiana
Posted: 2009-03-27 1:31 pm   Permalink

For $10 I'm all in!

 
View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation