[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » I just bought the Jasmine Tree
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
I just bought the Jasmine Tree
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 6:27 pm   Permalink

Tai had called me last week about buying some goods, a tiki god here, a spear there.

Last Sat., I went there and tried to walk around there with her, pointing out what I wanted and asking "How much for that"

The experience exhasted her. She invited me back for lunch today. She has to be out of there by Oct 31.

Exasperated, she said...I wish someone would just buy the whole thing.

One plate of sweet and sour chicken later, we agreed upon a price.

I get everything outside the kitchen, minus one lamp since it has personal meaning to her.

Most will be used in Thatch, my new bar.

Excess will be sold off to NW tiki people and TCers before shown to general public.

I'm glad that this stuff, which used to be in Steve Crane's Kon Tiki will once again be enjoyed by the masses.
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 6:29 pm   Permalink

Robert, that's wonderful news! Such a relief to know that the historic items at the Jasmine Tree can find some great new homes where they'll be treasured.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UstaSurf

Posted: 2006-09-05 6:42 pm   Permalink

Congrats on your acquisition, Robert ! I live in Portland too, and have some Tiki history, having grown up in the late 50's & early 60's while my dad owned/managed the Polynesian Restaurant in So.Cal. Fond memories, indeed....
Please let me know what you intend to sell, as I'd like to take a look !
Take care,
Tony

On 2006-09-05 18:27, Robertiki wrote:
Tai had called me last week about buying some goods, a tiki god here, a spear there.

Last Sat., I went there and tried to walk around there with her, pointing out what I wanted and asking "How much for that"

The experience exhasted her. She invited me back for lunch today. She has to be out of there by Oct 31.

Exasperated, she said...I wish someone would just buy the whole thing.

One plate of sweet and sour chicken later, we agreed upon a price.

I get everything outside the kitchen, minus one lamp since it has personal meaning to her.

Most will be used in Thatch, my new bar.

Excess will be sold off to NW tiki people and TCers before shown to general public.

I'm glad that this stuff, which used to be in Steve Crane's Kon Tiki will once again be enjoyed by the masses.
Robert

[/quote]

View Profile of UstaSurf Send a personal message to UstaSurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-05 6:59 pm   Permalink

hokey smokes, Robertiki! indeed good news ~ Thatch will be jammed packed with tiki.. when's opening date?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 7:05 pm   Permalink

congrats robert! great move. i hope i can score something when you're ready to part with the excess. cheers, bullet

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-05 8:04 pm   Permalink

Great news, indeed!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-05 8:26 pm   Permalink

My reaction on this news is somewhat bittersweet. I do congratulate you on your plans to adopt much of the decor of the Jasmine Tree into your new tiki bar (Thatch) and I hope that I will be able to visit some day.

But I am also saddened, as I was hopeful that the Jasmine Tree might survive. I have only been to Portland twice in my life, both within the past year, and both times I paid visits to The Jasmine Tree, spending almost all of my time at the back bar. Although others may not have cared for the place, there was something about it that I really enjoyed - a combination of the old decor, the aged but wiser bartenders, and the camaraderie of the regulars who paid their visits to that back bar. Those things far outweighed the negatives - the TVs, and the nearby video poker machines.

I guess I have visited my share of treasured tiki bars, only to have them close shortly after, or to be watered down to a paler imitation of their former grand stature. It is a bit like what my parents say about their life as they get older - their best and closest friends become ill and then die one by one, and they sense that more and more of the world they know and understand and enjoy is disappearing.

I do applaud the news that much of the decor will be available for view in a new setting - a form of South Seas Poly-Pop reincarnation, I guess -- Kon Tiki leads to Jasmine Tree which leads to what I hope is a long life at Thatch.

I wonder how many people will be able to visit Thatch, and wonder to themselves ...'hmmmm, that reminds me of that old Kon Tiki bar from many years ago.' I am sure that my two visits to the Jasmine Tree are only small tiki drops in the bucket to what others on the West Coast have experienced, but I do consider myself fortunate that I was able to personally enjoy the charms of the Jasmine Tree in its natural, unrushed setting.

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2006-09-05 20:28 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 8:39 pm   Permalink

Way to go Robert. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 02:26 am   Permalink

excellent.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 04:44 am   Permalink

Vern, I agree with you that it is a sad passing. I never wanted the Jasmine Tree to close. In fact, I looked around for a new location for them.

The city took the building for light rail expansion and gave them two choices, One, a buy out, thats it, close and good-bye. Two, use tax payers $$ to find a new place. They have been looking for a suitable place for 6 months now and haven't found one.

It was never Tai's dream to run a restaurant, but her husband's. He had a stroke several years ago, leaving Tai in charge.

They have one year to open a new place but Tai said it need not have a tiki theme.

I offered in the deal that if they wanted any items back if/when they reopened at a new location, they could, but she didn't really want that. She is happy it is going to me/Thatch.

You are so right about the regulars, I was there last Sat., and at the bar was a stripper/college student (with glasses...HOT!), an emo band singer (cheer up little emo guy) an old crusty man who remembered my name, and a woman who smoked two cigs at a time. The stories told that afternoon were better than any recent Nicolas Cage movie.

I will miss it there.
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-06 04:58 am   Permalink

It's good that the stuff will end up at your bar. Congrats!
Someone needs to take LOTS of video of the place before it goes out.
Get the layout of the place, People who work there, Last night party. Ect....

I took what I thought was alot of video of the Kahiki at the end.
But still wish I had done more.
Good luck!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-05 20:26, ikitnrev wrote:
My reaction on this news is somewhat bittersweet.

Let me second that emotion.

When I first read the title to the thread I thought you'd bought the whole place & were going to run it as the Jasmine Tree. But in an imperfect world you seldom get what you want, and the decor from the restaurant will live on in Thatch, and I did find some nice mugs and a Lavaź Lamp last week...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-08 4:58 pm   Permalink

I'm saddened too about the demise of the Jasmine Tree. Since I moved here I'd been hoping to get a chance to have a drink or two there, but my opportunity never materialized.

I am glad to know, though, that the decor will live on in Thatch.

Any update on an opening date?

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 7:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Robert, so has THATCH actually opened yet?

Man, I'm shocked about the Jasmine Tree!
My wife and I were heading up to Seattle as vendors at the Seattle Home Tiki Bar Tour and we packed our copy of "Tiki Road Trip" and planned on a slow drive up stopping at all the Tiki locations we could find! We stayed at the Palms Motel just 2 blocks from The Alibi and we went to dinner at the Jasmine Tree and spent hours hanging out in the bar talking to the owner and guests......that was only the last week of July into August! I just can't believe it's gone just like that!
If anyone is interested I shot tons of photos there! We LOVED it! We LOVED Portland!
So I guess we now have to plan another visit soon to check out THATCH!
Please keep me informed if you do sell off any of the Jasmine's collectibles!

Dave
TIKI HUNTER

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-09 8:07 pm   Permalink

So is Thatch actually going to open by the end of the month?

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation