[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » I just bought the Jasmine Tree
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
I just bought the Jasmine Tree
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-10 6:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I was saddened by the news that they were getting shut down by the man. I always liked that place. It had great food and an awesome feel to it.

At least some good can come of it by its stuff living on somewhere else.

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-10 7:01 pm   Permalink

Man, I -am- drunk! I meant great drinks. LOL.

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jasmine_Tree

Posted: 2006-10-13 01:20 am   Permalink

Hi Everybody,

I like to thank everybody for 29 wonderful years. It has been a great run and it has been fun. My brother and I grew up in that restaruant and started as dishwashers for mom and dad. Worked our way up to actually touch the money! Closing the doors for the final time on Oct. 6th 2006 at 02:30am was perhaps one of the toughest things that I had to do. The experience my brother told me was like a death in the family, like a part of him had died. But what was even more tough was to see my mother turn that sign outside the window to show "Sorry We're Closed" knowing that it will never be turned again.

I'm glad that most people enjoyed their experience there at the Jasmine Tree. We had wonderful employees from Jimmy and Joyce at the bar to Danny running around serving as many customers as he can. And who can't forget the customers chatting about politics and religon. There are many memories that will be with me. And those who didn't have such a good experience? Oh well, can't win them all.

Thanks Williamte Week for the love. 2006 Drinkopedia they ranked our Mai Tai best overall. And they have given us props from our service and drinks. Much thanks go out to the Bar Fly and the people. Thanks go to all the books and reviews of our place.

I'm glad that Robert has decided to keep the Jasmine Tree spirit alive and we wish him well with Thach. I look forward to seeing the collection that has been passed on from one Tiki to another Tiki to another. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and hope to see everybody there at Thatch.

Xie Xie all,

Terry

View Profile of Jasmine_Tree Send a personal message to Jasmine_Tree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-20 10:44 pm   Permalink

I first discovered the Jasmine Tree in a book called Tiki Road Trip. TRT is a gold mine in a way. Almost like a secret road map to the best tiki bars in America. When I picked up my copy, I started marking places I wanted to go, and experience. The Jasmine was one of my top list places, cause it was so unassuming. Last year, when visiting my sister in portland, I finally had the chance to make it to the Jasmine, and have a Mai Tai. As I sat there with my friends, I realized that I had instantly fallen in love with the place. I thought to myself, "when I finally move to Portland from DC, I'm gonna come here every week!"

Well, I moved to portland at the end of Sept. The first place I came, once I was settled, was the Jasmine. I sat back and enjoyed the best Mai Tai I'd come across. At the same time, I was saddened to learn that the end was near.

I'm sad that the Jasmine is gone. Of all the tiki bars I've been to, it was my favourite. Not because of its tiki-ness, but because of it being exactly what it was. I drove by last night, and saw that it was closed, and the signs taken down. It was sad knowing I'll never have a drink there again. But, I can safely say that no matter what tiki bars I visit in the future, I'll always compare them to the Jasmine Tree and her Mai Tai's. There may be flashier tiki bars, but never a mai tai that was quite as good.

View Profile of halicarnassus Send a personal message to halicarnassus  Email halicarnassus Goto the website of halicarnassus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 9:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 01:20, Jasmine_Tree wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I like to thank everybody for 29 wonderful years. It has been a great run ...... But what was even more tough was to see my mother turn that sign outside the window to show "Sorry We're Closed" knowing that it will never be turned again.

Xie Xie all,

Terry

Jasmine Tree....RIP!!!! I remember hearing about the place but wondering if it was really "tiki" or just another Chinese restaurant with a liquor license. Supposedly the ALibi was the only tiki bar in Portland. I called up and I asked the woman if they had any tikis--(this question usually is answered with a long silent pause!)and was surprised when the voice on the phone instantly answered "yes". I got my sister and brother in law in the car and we heaqded down. My eyes bugged out when I saw the sign above the lounge stating "TIKI BAR" -this is it I thought. When I entered and looked around, a woman came up and asked me if I was the one that called. I said yes, and we were given the royal treatment-ans what a great time it was. I will miss you, Jasmine Tree. I will. Sniff......

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-13 3:20 pm   Permalink

Picked these up today at a little antique store in Littleton, Colorado:

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation