FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Your holy grail...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your holy grail...
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-27 1:32 pm   Permalink

"I want a crisp photo of a stylish beehived early 60's beauty drinking out of that damn headhunter mug at Ren Clark's. The ultimate image of modern primitivism!
It must exist somewhere somehow. I mean would you not have posed with that mug for giggles at the time?"

YES!!! I WOULD!!! I agree, this must exist somewhere. And we will find it. But this is a great idea for a picture, even now. I have several friends whose looks and style are so 60's it's almost painful. And I have the dresses, that's for sure. Now all I need is the mug...or even a loaner...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-27 5:50 pm   Permalink

Shall I risk the disdain and horror of others when I say, I am not a fan of that gruesome mug at all?

If I ever find one, it's up for sale or trade immediately.

Not that I'm likely to. But just so you know here's one fish lookin' out for youse guys.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-27 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-12-27 17:50, tikifish wrote:
Shall I risk the disdain and horror of others when I say, I am not a fan of that gruesome mug at all?

Gasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for this mug. My wife, who is quite tiki friendly, finds the mug revolting and gruesome. I on the other appeciate that it IS so revolting and gruesome...As Sven said...

Quote:

On 2002-12-27 11:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
The ultimate image of modern primitivism!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-12-30 5:40 pm   Permalink

Hey, PolyPop: why don't you tell everyone the truth about that mug? You told me at Vic's in Emeryville and I was too blitzed to remember everything.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-30 5:54 pm   Permalink

I want to build with my own hands my dream tiki item - convert the basement of a house into a ship's hull, curved wood plank walls and all, with portholes looking out onto a faux tropical beach... the room would contain large rum barrels artifacts traded from the islanders...
I would have at least 2 special effects options - flip a switch and creaking sounds emanate from the walls with occasional spurts of water, there is lighting and thunder outside the portholes etc... or, flip a switch and the room turns into a disco with 60's inspired lighting effects...

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-30 6:07 pm   Permalink

Uh, you lost me at "disco" -- but other than that, it sounds *very* cool. Sounds like quite a job, but acheivable. For the ceiling, you could mount fluorescent lights behind pale blue gels behind aged wooden slats, so that slits of light were barely visible here and there. Of course, the ultimate would be if you could snag an audio-animatronic parrot.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-30 6:23 pm   Permalink

Martin,
Are you talking about the Ren Clark Severed Head? Here's the story on that mug:

Ren Clark was the President of a magician's society in Texas. As a matter of fact, if you type in "Ren Clark" on Yahoo you'll most likely get links to his past as a reknowned magician. He had a regular magic act at his restaurant, the Polynesian Village. His show ended with an act that consisted of a person losing their head to a guillotine - hence, the severed head souvenir mug.

The question is, "Is this mug tiki?" In my opinion no. However, Ren Clark's Polynesian Village certainly was a tiki establishment of Polynesian Pop proportions. As such, the mug has a connection to the tiki/polynesian pop genre as it is definitely an artifact from a now defunct tiki temple.

I personally love the mug because its so different. It's just one of those mugs that I think would look way cool on my shelf. Will I ever get one? Probably not. As I've said before, I'm too cheap to dish out the kind of bucks required to obtain a find like that one.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-30 18:26 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-31 11:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Pop- that explains the mug being a severed head! Can I add this info to the tiki gallery under BBTD's great pics of this mug?

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-31 11:41 am   Permalink

Mike, of course you can post that info! Make's the mug a little more interesting now doesn't it?

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-31 11:57 am   Permalink

Here's some more info on Ren Clark:

Taken from magictricks.com:

International Brotherhood of Magicians President 1947-1948. Founded Texas Association of Magicians in 1948. His home reportedly had a stage and could accomodate 100 seats for magic shows.

Apparantly, Ol' Ren also formed the Fort Worth Magician's Club in 1940. Here's a link to the history of this club:

http://fortworthmagicclub.com/html/club_history.html

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-31 11:57 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-31 3:36 pm   Permalink

That's good hunting, Pol Pop!
A while back I had sent Tiki Centralist Reever (who lives in Dallas) on Ren Clark's trail but he could not find his house OR any relatives.
Maybe this Magic Club has some photos of Ren performing at the Polynesian Village, or at least at his home stage....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-01 01:22 am   Permalink

I would say a winning Big Game lotto ticket....everything else would take care of itself.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-01 7:24 pm   Permalink

Here is another holy grail Tiki:
BOT page 95, B&W group shot:
One of those wooden Marquesan Tikis those happy skiers are holding as trophies from the Tiki race in Lake Tahoe....best would be the big one that the Trader is resting his hand on.
Singular samples of Polynesian Pop history.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-01 8:50 pm   Permalink

Yes, the thought of owning one of those tiki trophies has crossed my mind many times! That would definitely be at the top of the holy grail list - especially, if it still had the inscription of the event it came from.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-02 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

bigbrotiki wrote:
One of those wooden Marquesan Tikis those happy skiers are holding as trophies from the Tiki race in Lake Tahoe....

Closest I came to this "grail" was a gold medal from one of the races. It was one nice little item....went to a good home though.
The medal was an Ebay auction and the eventual winner was Pete Seeley.

midnite...back from the Great White East for holidays.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation