FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Your holy grail...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your holy grail...
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

This is definitely one mug I want to acquire:

Frankoma War God

Not gettin' this one though. Frankoma collectors are rather "fervent". Maybe next time.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-05 10:10 pm   Permalink

Hey, fun to see talk of the Lanai tiki by Barney West! If you think that tiki looks big, just consider that PolyPop is about 6'6" tall!

Thanks for mentioning my slideshow of the move, BigBro. In case it helps for anyone following that link, use the "Photos" link on the page BigBro listed to get to the Lanai tiki slideshow link.

So, here's some longwinded additions to the discussion...

Yes, the tiki is out in the elements all the time, just as he has been for the last 40 years, I guess. Actually, I keep wishing I could gather more facts about his age and so on. I've contacted some restoration / preservation experts in the bay area, and the consensus from most of them is to do nothing, since it has lasted well all these years. There are a couple things I will do though.

And yes, this tiki was most recently in front of the Lanai Liquors, which is still there and which still has a neat, but flickering neon sign. But the store owner is the one (among others) who told me that it used to stand in front of the Lanai restaurant. Having never seen the restaurant before it was Walgreen'd, I can't say for sure. Here's part of an old brochure that shows a couple shots of the front of the restaurant:

There's actually some kind of moai guy shown in this photo! But no sign of the other tiki in these pics, or any others that I've seen of the restaurant. The story I heard was that there were originally two big Barney West tikis out front of the Lanai, and that one ended up at the liquor store and one went somewhere in southern CA. Supposedly the owner thought they were bad luck. I can say it has brought me good luck since I've had it though!

The other story I heard was that the liquor store was indeed originally associated with the restaurant, and also with the Villa hotel and the Chartier restaurant, which were all in the same plaza called Villa Square (see the note on the brochure). One stop shopping - stay at the Villa, dine in simulated paradise at the Lanai, and then get stock up at the liquor store for the late nite hotel room escapades. Today that plaza is a Kinkos and a Walgreens, but the hotel and the liquor store are still there.

And yes, hulahula, stop on by! It's always a pleasure having TC'ers over, since as a lot, they tend to be very gracious guests!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
traderfranks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-05 11:24 pm   Permalink

There's a restaurant in Fresno, CA called the Leilani and it has exactly the same palm tree sign as the Lanai. Were these signs mass produced, or were the two restaurants related?

Lono@tikigardens.com
http://www.tikigardens.com

Quote:
And yes, this tiki was most recently in front of the Lanai Liquors, which is still there and which still has a neat, but flickering neon sign. But the store owner is the one (among others) who told me that it used to stand in front of the Lanai restaurant. Having never seen the restaurant before it was Walgreen'd, I can't say for sure. Here's part of an old brochure that shows a couple shots of the front of the restaurant:

[ This Message was edited by: traderfranks on 2003-01-05 23:30 ]

View Profile of traderfranks Send a personal message to traderfranks  Email traderfranks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-06 11:07 am   Permalink

Great research, Randy, and my apologies to Polynesian Pop, you were better informed by Randy as the on-site urban archeologist.
I love that shot of the Lanai entrance! It makes sense that they had two Barney West Tikis there (You can see two of his Maois in front of the Washington Trader Vic's on page 53 of the BOT). In their time, there were surely snapshots posed with both of them, which now rest in some box in some attic, to be thrown out eventually...

The sign similarity is a more difficult question. It is likely that they were done by the same sign company. But then again, the old Polynesian restaurants (of which the Lanai was one) spawned entrepeneurs among their (often Chinese) managers that, after they left, or the place closed, went out and opened their own Tiki supper clubs, using the experience they had gained in the Polynesian/Chinese Cuisine field.

The Leilani on Blackstone in Fresno was a dual business with the Luau on 1663 Fulton Ave., owned and run by brothers Jimmy, Roy and Stanley Dunn. Maybe they used to work at the Lanai? I have a black Moai mug with "The Leilani" AND "The Luau" inscribed on the back.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-01-06 11:11 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-06 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Hey, fun to see talk of the Lanai tiki by Barney West! If you think that tiki looks big, just consider that PolyPop is about 6'6" tall!

Give or take a foot!

Quote:
Great research, Randy, and my apologies to Polynesian Pop, you were better informed by Randy as the on-site urban archeologist.

Bigbro, no apology required

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 1:00 pm   Permalink

I still search Ebay all the time for a Trader Vic "Seahorse" mug. Everytime I think one is mine the price just goes crazy on it! ACK!!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 3:01 pm   Permalink

Light is my grail. That is I need lamps! The puffer fish and the glass floats. They are available, but sometimes elusive and expensive. A stuffed marlin would be nifty too.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 7:45 pm   Permalink

anything kelbos would do me just fine.....but a light up drink box menu from kelbos would be the ultimate!.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 6:45 pm   Permalink

chongo, call oceanic arts for the light up puffer fish, and i have some floats that light up, what color and size?

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 2:19 pm   Permalink

My dream mug would be the Hawaii Kai tiki with the hula girl in it's mouth. (as seen on page 181 of the Book of Tiki).

I've got one pictured on a T-shirt but not the real thing. I never even see them on e-bay.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 07:33 am   Permalink

Sorry to bring alive a long-dead post, but I liked the topic and i stumbled upon it recently...

My three wish I had mugs:

3. Any mug from the Jeckyl and Hyde in NYC that isn't the brown headhunter (I remember when i ate there in 1999 that they had three types of mugs and I bought the brown headhunter, I can't even remember the other two!)
2. Reagan from Polytiki
1. Seahorse from Trader Vics (for the wife)

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:07 am   Permalink

My own personal Kahona to fire up in a torch-lighting ceremony at dusk every evening.

Oh yeah, and make it have an access panel in the back so it could double as a grill.

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 3:39 pm   Permalink

Here are some of my grails....I love this stuff.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 3:47 pm   Permalink

The Trader Vic's Green Seahorse Mug(any color, really) & The Otagiri Green handled guy biting his tongue

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 3:56 pm   Permalink

i'd love to get something from the zombie hut in sacramento. i danced with a hula girl there in about 1970 when i was around 11. great memory! thanks for bringing back this thread, rorysm.

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2006-04-27 15:57 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation