FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki Thanksgiving?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Thanksgiving?
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-29 1:40 pm   Permalink

I stand corrected as I had no idea the the Polynesian pop Tiki culture was uniquely 'American'.
Still, I think I'll keep my Thanksgiving the New England Old Fashioned way and save Polynesian pop Tiki things for other occasions.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 5:42 pm   Permalink

Woofmutt suggested the Luau Mayonaisse, which is funny. Because thanksgiving at the casa de mi familia does traditionally feature a seafoam salad...with the regular turkey and trimmings and all that other stuff. I think Kalua turkey is a great idea. I mean, you can't really make a regular roasted turkey any WORSE, can you?

[ This Message was edited by: tekoteko 2006-10-29 17:47 ]

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-24 11:55 am   Permalink

I have made a giant Kahlua turkey with great success- though not this year....

Last year a friend made the BEST candied yams with Tahitian rum and vanilla he bought in Bora Bora.
I don't believe they are available in the US...if you know a source for the rum and vanilla, well,.. holla!

I tried Cap'n Morgans as the recommended substitute, and it came out all a bit waxy and flat tasting- not worth it.

Anyhow, if you can get ahold of the right stuff, these are the most heavenly EV-AR! I cried when they were gone.
(and I think what is called yams is really sweet potatoes)

Happy Eats!

================================================================================
KENT'S CANDIED YAMS PAPEETE (Pah-pee-yeh-tay)
================================================================================

• 2 lbs Yams (Garnets are more orange, look better than Beauregards)
• 2 tbsp butter
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• dash cinnamon
• 1 tsp Tahitian vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp Tahitian rum

Oven 350°F

Wash yams, peel & cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
Add yams to boiling water, cook till fork goes through easily
(Don't overcook till soft & mushy, will taste waterlogged)
Drain Yams, layer in baking dish
Sprinkle with brown sugar
Grate cinnamon over top
Sprinkle with vanilla & rum
Cut butter into thin slices and lay over top
Repeat layers as needed
Pop into oven for 30-45 minutes

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-24 12:56 pm   Permalink

Newsflash reply from Kent:

"I think I used some Tahitian vanilla extract... must be possible to get at most hippie grocery stores. I think a better option is to throw in some fresh whole vanilla beans!

I used some Tahitian rum which had kinda a unique flavor, not vanilla but more like german fruitcake, its funny too b/c it was sorta cheap shit that locals drank b/c beer (and everything else) is too expensive, so the flavor was probably more of a mistake than anything you'd replicate on purpose. I'd be tempted to use Cuban rum too since it has a distinct flavor, although different, more buttery.. or maybe Thai Meekong whisky which they are selling in local stores now, and has a distinct flavor, plus I thought it really was a rum just called whisky."

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 8:45 pm   Permalink

Bumped before Christmas eclipses everything.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-22 10:04 pm   Permalink

Don't ditch the turkey - just change the side dishes.

Instead of gravy, baste the bird with pineapple juice and soysauce. Some members have already posted some great sides, but I'm also thinking of coconut risotto and green salad garnished with pomegranates and pecans. Go crazy with the turkey stuffing! Add fresh pineapple and mango to a traditional bread dressing/stuffing....the possibilities are endless.

Instead of pumpkin pie, how about key lime or coconut-cream?

View Profile of Lovelybunchofcoconuts Send a personal message to Lovelybunchofcoconuts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation