FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 08:49 am   Permalink

I will try to keep this post on-topic tiki-wise. At least I'll try to make it interesting. As the local vocational high school is just three minutes from home, I couldn't resist signing up for the 8-week bartending course they offer. I thought you rum heads might appreciate knowing what they teach at one of things.

WEEK 1 -
Met the instructor. He talked and talked about being a bartender for thirty years, how he's burned out, getting a divorce and how he lives with his mother. Then, we went around class and introduced ourselves. I've decided to keep a low profile in class and make like Sgt. Schultz at all times.

Interesting things I learned:
1) how to pronounce orgeat: (OR-geet)
2) how to pronounce curaçao : (KRAK-ow)
3)if you get job in a chinese restaurant, you'll probably have to make a Mai Tai the incorrect way they tell you, not the incorrect way they tell you in the Old Mr. Boston guide
4) If you make a Fuzzy Navel in New England, it doesn't have vodka in it. If you put vodka in it, it's called a Hairy Navel. Bleaaah.
5) if you're working with a bartender who's really crummy, it's OK not to share tips with him

Next week we start learning 20 drinks including the "Woo Woo". Woo Woo? More next week!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 12:02 pm   Permalink

Lie low, keep an eye on the guards....

Pass it down the line, when they get to the Margeurita Slushy Machine...

That is when we will RISE UP!

Take the guards first! Take no prisoners and burn the Hairy Navel Recipe first!

And then, suddenly....

Good luck and enjoy the ride. And try not to laugh too hard when they get to the rum drinks...

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-13 1:04 pm   Permalink

orgeat: (OR-je-aa)
curaçao : (kur-ra-saow)

"3)if you get job in a chinese restaurant, you'll probably have to make a Mai Tai the incorrect way they tell you, not the incorrect way they tell you in the Old Mr. Boston guide"

Thats the same with any bar you work in; historical recipes, correct recipes etc do not matter, you are like a chef, you do what the Head Chef says, and you use only their recipes.

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-13 2:17 pm   Permalink

You're NOT actually PAYING for this course are you, Pappy?

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 2:18 pm   Permalink

Ha ha! I have a feeling this is going to be a fun 8 weeks, especially for those of us who don't actually have to go.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 3:31 pm   Permalink

Pappy looks like you'll be mixing drinks if we end up having a room party at Hukilau. My skills will be totally inferior by the time you've completed your training - then again I have a feeling you may have to "unlearn what you have learned".

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 3:46 pm   Permalink

At last, we have succeeded in planting a mole within the evil bartender empire! Promote the Tiki Cocktail Manifesto, pappy! Try to surpass advanced mixology techniques wherever they are implemented! Work towards a more powerful Navy Grog!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 6:53 pm   Permalink

GH--yes, I had to pay but it does get me out of the house.

Oh, yeah. one more thing I learned yesterday: If you wanna make a "fancy" margarita, you can use Rose's lime juice instead of sour mix.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 11:12 am   Permalink

OR-geet? KRAK-ow?!? Rose's Lime in a "fancy" Margarita? How do you manage to keep a straight face?

Ask him how he pronounces Cointreau. This should be good.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-16 06:41 am   Permalink

Ask him if a martini is made with vodka.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-16 07:39 am   Permalink

Ask him: "Would you rather be shaken or stirred?"

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-18 8:46 pm   Permalink

Pappy - are those tears streaming down your cheeks from the strain of stifled laughter, or from the grief of all those innocent drinks being slaughtered?

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 11:24 am   Permalink

Before I start: The instructor can pronounce Cointreau. He went on a tirade about people who don't know what a martini is (gin and vermouth) but then he UNdid what he had just mended by going off on how picky martini people could be about their drinks. Then he got a half point BACK by picking on the guy who got snooty about his bar not having "pomegranite vodka".

Week 2: General ramblings about being a bartender. He then read to us (ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz....)the recipes for twenty of the fifty most popular drinks (in the central MA area).

Interesting things I learned:
1) doctors, lawyers, accountants, insurance people, car dealers are the worst tippers
2) cops, firemen, construction workers and funeral directors are the best tippers
3) people are always trying to steal your corkscrew.(!) Try to keep it on your person.
4) mixers are anything non-alcoholic that you put in a drink
a) juices: orange, grapefruit, pineapple, cranberry and tomato juice are the juices you will use
b) I am able to control from screaming when lemon and lime are left out of the juice list
5) when someone asks for tonic, they don't mean they want soda or pop in their drink (You'll have to take my word for this. In Worcester County, "tonic" is a synonym for soda or pop, esp. with older people)
6) grenadine is cherry-flavored syrup made only by Rose's
7) rocks are ice cubes
liquor proportions in drinks don't matter too much except for a few drinks like the Martini and Manhattan
9) in MA, any liquor you serve in a bar must be puchased from a licensed distributor. If the owner sends you in the back with a funnel, empty bottles & liquor from the NH state liquor store, lock the door!
10) Choosing a glass is easy!
Any mixed drink goes in a highball glass (10 oz)
Any drink with just hooch or teensy amount of mixer--rocks glass (5 oz)
Small drinks go in a cocktail or "up" glass.
Big drinks go in a shaker
Teensy drinks go in a shot glass.
11) Most small bars fill their top shelf bottles with whatever swill they can get for as long as they can get away with it. (We all knew this but it still hurts to know it for sure...)

First 20 drinks: Black Russian, Bloody Mary, Cape Codder, Mudslide, Fuzzy Navel, Greyhound, Kamikaze, Long Island Iced Tea, Madras, Melon Ball, Pearl Harbor, Screwdriver, Sea Breeze, Sex on the Beach, Vodka Collins (made with sour mix--yum!), Vodka Gimlet, White Russian, Frozen Mudslide, Hawaiian Seabreeze and the Woo Woo.

I don't really want to go anymore.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 12:50 pm   Permalink

Sounds like you may get lessons on how to scoop ice and pour out of a bottle. Proper shaking. Wiping the bar with a rag. Filling the bin with ice and getting a barback to do it... Lots of great bartending stuff... Got the money up front... He'll save the story about how he served a drink to Christie Brinkley for last...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-20 11:24, pappythesailor wrote:
....I don't really want to go anymore.

Please keep going! I can't wait for week three! Maybe he is saving the best drinks and recipes for last......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation