FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 12:40 pm   Permalink

This will get you. We went to Tommy Bahama's for lunch yesterday and I asked the bartender if they had "or-shot". He replied, "No we only have "or-geet". Okay, now on to the next question. "Can you make a Trader Vic Mai Tai?" "Of course," he said. We use lots of pineapple and orange juice. We follow the recipe exactly."

"Which recipe is that?"

"The Trader Vic recipe!" Now he's quite mad.

"And where did you get this recipe?"

"From his recipe guide!"

I started to set him straight, but decided afterwards to get a Mango Tea instead.

I plan on going back with two of my Trader Vic Bartender Guides and ask him to show me the one with pineapple and orange juice. To their credit, they were using the Trader Vic syrups, orgeat and rock candy syrup. I thought about letting him know he was discussing more of a Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai, but hey, he probably doesn't even know what sponge cake is even in the islandfied world of Tommy Bahama. Honestly, the restaurant has the best views of Palm Desert and the Coachella Valley. It isn't all bad.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-27 1:59 pm   Permalink

More and more I find myself saying to bartenders:

"I don't know what you call it, but you take the juice of one lime, ½ oz of orgeat... (if he says, "What's that?" I usually give up there)..., ½ oz of Orange Curaçao, ½ oz of rock candy syrup... (if he says, "We don't have that," it's not a show stopper given a few alternatives)..., 1½ oz of Coruba dark rum (or substitute), 1½ oz of decent Caribbean amber rum (whatever contenders I see behind the bar), shake that up with shaved ice until the ice dissolves, then pour that over the rocks and top it with a shot of aged Jamaican rum (or substitute), toss the lime shell in the glass and garnish with a sprig of mint."

If he says, "Oh, you want a Mai Tai," I'll say something like, "Oh, yeah, that's right. It's the best," and know that there's a ray of hope.

Otherwise, I don't have to argue about what is and what isn't a Mai Tai, or worse, suffer through a miserably failed attempt (at my expense).

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 5:17 pm   Permalink

Gnomon, Amen. I've about had it arguing with people who want me to tip them.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2007-08-27 17:18 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 5:24 pm   Permalink

Actually, you just gave me an idea. What if we all agree to stop ordering Mai Tais and instead agree to order TV's. When the bartender says, "What the Hell is that, we reply as follows:

Quote:

On 2007-08-27 13:59, The Gnomon wrote:

"I don't know what you call it, but you take the juice of one lime, ½ oz of orgeat... (if he says, "What's that?" I usually give up there)..., ½ oz of Orange Curaçao, ½ oz of rock candy syrup... (if he says, "We don't have that," it's not a show stopper given a few alternatives)..., 1½ oz of Coruba dark rum (or substitute), 1½ oz of decent Caribbean amber rum (whatever contenders I see behind the bar), shake that up with shaved ice until the ice dissolves, then pour that over the rocks and top it with a shot of aged Jamaican rum (or substitute), toss the lime shell in the glass and garnish with a sprig of mint."

If he says, "Oh, you want a Mai Tai," I'll say something like, "Oh, yeah, that's right. It's the best," and know that there's a ray of hope.

Otherwise, I don't have to argue about what is and what isn't a Mai Tai, or worse, suffer through a miserably failed attempt (at my expense).

At which point, we get the drinks we went and perhaps we educate the world on a new drink recipe without the biases of the Mai Tai - ya, sure, I can make a Mai Tai, crowd.

Ah, They'd screw that up to. I think Gnomon has it right to begin with.

Tiki Lion
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 9:01 pm   Permalink

I like the direction Gnomon is pointing...

View Profile of Tiki Lion Send a personal message to Tiki Lion  Email Tiki Lion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-31 08:10 am   Permalink

You should try it. Most of the time the bartenders keep coming back to ask you to run that by them again. They want to take a stab at it because (I presume) you're talking about a drink with 4 oz of three kinds of rum, none of which is rail. Chi'ching!

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 08:22 am   Permalink

I think I'm going to make up business cards with the Beachbum's $100 Mai Tai recipe on the back...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 08:46 am   Permalink

This could be the resurgence of something big. Last time this drink swept the nation, yea, the world, a fine Jamaican rum was imbibed to extinction. Can we aspire to achieve the same in this day and age?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 08:48 am   Permalink

Nah. Chip and Andy have numerous acceptable substitutes for the rum(s) to go in.

Those acceptable rum combinations were posted somewhere around here... I'll have to see if I an find the post.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-31 08:46, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
This could be the resurgence of something big. Last time this drink swept the nation, yea, the world, a fine Jamaican rum was imbibed to extinction. Can we aspire to achieve the same in this day and age?

Nahhhh..... But we can certainly try!

Thank you for the vote of confidence Scottes, but I fear that even within our ranks the Mai-Tai VS Hawaiian Mai-Tai VS Fill-in-the-blank-Mai-Tai is a hard nut to crack. Too many people are extolling the virtues of the Meyers Float..... Even my "Pink Slip Mai-Tai" is a bit off from the original..... Enough so that I have considered changing the name even more to distance myself from what I hope to make sacred some day, the name Mai-Tai....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-03 12:27 pm   Permalink

I've been watching Robert Hess/Drinkboy giving free bartending training right on the Web and am enjoying it immensely!

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/

The episode about tools inspired me to get my Boston shaker out and give it another try (although I still really like my OXO three-part shaker).

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
furp

Posted: 2008-11-29 11:34 am   Permalink

I have one of those cheat sheets from http://www.cheatsheetpublishing.com . I didn't know how to bartend at the time, but I liked it. It helped me get a start without being embarrassed holding a bartending book in my hand (or my d$*%k either). Maybe it isn't for the experienced bartender, but for the beginner I would recommend it.

View Profile of furp Send a personal message to furp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mortis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-27 5:03 pm   Permalink

An interesting read, and rather depressing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122851909486284015.html

I'll have to add: "something with sour mix and vodka" to my repertoire.

View Profile of Tiki Mortis Send a personal message to Tiki Mortis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-28 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:
inspired me to get my Boston shaker out and give it another try (although I still really like my OXO three-part shaker).

I switched to a Boston shaker with a cheater tin instead of a mixing glass and I'll never use another shaker again. The two metal parts seal well, come apart easily and you never worry about breaking the mixing glass.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-12-29 12:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-27 17:03, Tiki Mortis wrote:
An interesting read, and rather depressing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122851909486284015.html

I'll have to add: "something with sour mix and vodka" to my repertoire.

Thanks for sharing this. One of my hopes is that all of the bars mentioned in the article (both good and bad), were sent copies of it from the author.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation