[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ohana Hut Sale Announcement
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ohana Hut Sale Announcement
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for participating in the Ohana Hut sale.

The Ohana Hut was designed to be for Tiki Central members. Not Grand Members, not Long-time members, and not members with a high post count. It's for all Tiki Central members. We knew that unfortunately the demand outweighed supply. This is why the sale happened using what essentially amounts to a "line". We all know how lines work -- First come, first serve.

However, before Stuckie launched the sale, we had a discussion and we both agreed that we wanted these mugs to go to Tiki Central members only. This is why we didn't just put it up on Munktiki and sell them until they sold out.

But some new accounts popped up around the time of the sale. Regardless of whether these new accounts are "legit" (I am sure that some if not all of them are), these are not the members that this mug was designed for. Anyone who is new to Tiki Central as of September 9th simply cannot comprehend what this mug means, and what it's about.

So I have asked Stuckie to limit the sale of mugs to Tiki Central accounts that had posted at least one time on or before September 8th, 2006 -- which is the day Stuckie announced the sale. Stuckie has agreed.

I know this will be a disappointment to a few, but it really impacts only people who are brand spanking new to Tiki Central. And If by chance there was a long-time lurker who finally signed up just for the mug -- well, now they're all signed up and it won't happen again.

I want to thanks Stuckie and Munktiki for putting so much effort into doing this for Tiki Central. It's been a lot more work for them than we anticipated, and they have been great.

Sorry for the confusion on all this. We live and learn.

Thanks for reading.

~Hanford

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-09-15 16:58 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:10 pm   Permalink

I think I made the cut.

[Edited for sarcasm]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2006-09-15 18:09 ]

[Edited for the fact that it wan't sarcam but wry humor]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2006-09-15 18:13 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:14 pm   Permalink

Bravo Hanford!

I believe you've made a fair decision.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:35 pm   Permalink

You would not have had this whole post-sale controversy if the "terms" of the sale had been posted well in advance. In theory you should have made the sign-up cut off date be right after you started the "head count" thread many months ago to avoid this dilemma.

Just my .02 cents worth.

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:37 pm   Permalink

And the beat goes on.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:41 pm   Permalink

Tikichic,

Thanks for the advice, but having the rules announced well in advance didn't stop you from trying to order a second set of Shag Prints from a shell TC account.

I try to antisipate problems before they happen. But when do happen, I try to take care of them. That's what's happening here.

~Hanford

Quote:

On 2006-09-15 16:35, tikichic wrote:
You would not have had this whole post-sale controversy if the "terms" of the sale had been posted well in advance. In theory you should have made the sign-up cut off date be right after you started the "head count" thread many months ago to avoid this dilemma.

Just my .02 cents worth.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 4:49 pm   Permalink

zing! this is absolutely the right thing to do. bravo!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 5:12 pm   Permalink

Good Call Hanford!

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiexpy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-15 6:03 pm   Permalink

Are new codes going to be sent out to those that are eligible?

[ This Message was edited by: tikiexpy 2006-09-15 18:03 ]

View Profile of tikiexpy Send a personal message to tikiexpy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 6:06 pm   Permalink

cool,hopefully I made the cut

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 8:00 pm   Permalink

King Solomon (Islands) would be proud.

Well done and Mahalo.

Now, where's Al-ii in all of this?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 8:08 pm   Permalink

I agree that this was a reasonable decision, but people on the "waiting list" shouldn't expect that this is going to free up a huge number of mugs.

I looked back through the list, and by my count there will be 5 people who will now be excluded:

Jinjav - (who signed up on May 27, 2006, but didn't post until this thread)

Mrs. Tikipug - (I assume this is wife of Tikipug, a longtime TC member)

Mikeytiki

Alexandriatiki

Talybryn

I hope they understand the reasons for this, and stick around so we get to know them.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 8:26 pm   Permalink

tikisass and jmndc , too.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-15 10:24 pm   Permalink

As fair a way as any to deal with it

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-16 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-15 16:06, hanford_lemoore wrote:
But some new accounts popped up around the time of the sale. Regardless of whether these new accounts are "legit" (I am sure that some if not all of them are), these are not the members that this mug was designed for. Anyone who is new to Tiki Central as of September 9th simply cannot comprehend what this mug means, and what it's about.

So I have asked Stuckie to limit the sale of mugs to Tiki Central accounts that had posted at least one time on or before September 8th, 2006 -- which is the day Stuckie announced the sale. Stuckie has agreed.

I don't agree with this, I would be one of the ones excluded, but I had been reading TC way before Sept. 8th, but never had anything to say so I hadn't signed up for an account. Once I read Stuckie's post that a TC account was required for the Ohana Hut, I signed up for one. The person I learned about TC from has been reading it for years, but didn't have an account until today. (Go ahead check the logs and see how long our IP address has been hitting your site.) I followed the threads, read the rules, followed the rules, made time to be available to post when Stuckie setup the 'line', and then you changed the rules.

My opinion and situation probably doesn't change anything, after all you and Stuckie make the rules, even if they are after the fact. So this time because people complained, you ruled that people without an account and a post before 9/9 aren't Ohana. Next time, if there is a next time, after people complain, which they will, you will probably change the rules after the fact again to say that anyone without 100, or some other arbitray number of posts isn't Ohana.

If that is how you define and treat Ohana, that's fine, it's nice to know, but that isn't how treat my Ohana.

On the other hand if existing TC memebers were setting up shell accounts to try to get more than one Ohana Hut that is a totally different story.

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation