FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Cheeky Girl's Carvings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cheeky Girl's Carvings
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:27 pm   Permalink

Here's the first attempt which was started at the San Diego Chop Chop at Mieko's in Dec. 2006. The initial sketch is on the yellow pad.

What I learned from this Chop Chop is that I needed better carving tools. It seemed like I was expending way too much energy with my crappy chisels.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:32 pm   Permalink

I received new FlexCut Chisels as a Christmas Gift. I worked a little bit on the Tiki in December 2006. The new FlexCut tools were like "butter", so I was able to dig a little deeper with ease.

[ This Message was edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-05-06 22:57 ]

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:38 pm   Permalink

At the next San Diego Chop Chop (Feb. 2007), I started taking out the taking out the teeth. It was starting to look like a jack-o-tiki, so I was somewhat glad that the fiberous mouth area necessitated the gouging out the teeth.

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:45 pm   Permalink

At the next San Diego Chop Chop I was able to make (April 2006), I really started gouging out the mouth area. I started to get a handle of what chisels to use.

Once again the wood determined the direction of the tiki. The area where I initially had a criss-cross pattern above and below the eyes became very fiberous, requiring digging deeper and ultimately the removal of the cross-cross pattern under the eyes.

I also wanted to get rid of the jack-o-tiki look so I modified the nose.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:38 am   Permalink

Hey Cheekygirl!
I think you already "finished" your first tiki. It looks like you're carving the one that was underneath it now .
Right on! You're doing great. I can already see how much your technique has improved since the first chopchop. Thanks for the updates.
Now get to work!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 8:55 pm   Permalink

Cheeky, Excellent First tiki, Wish My first was that good, really!. can't wait to see the next one. Don't be afraid to go Deep!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 7:47 pm   Permalink

One of my favorite things about our monthly Chop is seeing the evolution of this tiki. I really love the way the nose has changed.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 9:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-16 19:47, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I really love the way the nose has changed.

Great job!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 9:44 pm   Permalink

Lookin Good . Cheeky

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 11:07 pm   Permalink

I need to post a picture of the current "nose". At the last chop chop it took a scary turn. 4WDtiki approached my tiki and said something like, "Ah, you know what that looks like?" I said, "I know, I need help!" In my panic I called Moki and TikiKate and SpamSandwich over to look at the problem.

I didn't want to be the girl with the tiki with the "tongaroa" inspired nose, if you know what I mean. After a little pow-wow, Spam Sandwich aka TikiDave made a suggestion which salvaged the nose. Unfortunately, as I continued to work on the nose, I hit another fiberous area, necessitating the taking out of even more material.

So long nose short...the nose has taken a kind of "Michael Jackson" quality. I'll post another picture soon.

kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 12:12 am   Permalink

looking good

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 5:22 pm   Permalink

really good....

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 8:26 pm   Permalink

Hey Cheeky G!

Glad you got the nose figured out. Looking forward to seeing how it's coming along.

Dave (AKA SpamSandwich)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-05 01:11 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GiantRobotTiki 2007-06-04 23:18 ]

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 9:14 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of the tiki before I started chopping this weekend.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation