FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Cheeky Girl's Carvings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cheeky Girl's Carvings
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 11:37 pm   Permalink

I finally stained and sealed the old guy.

My First Tiki is now complete!

Quite different from the initial sketch.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 07:25 am   Permalink

Congrats on a Successful #1 Tiki, Excellent job, right down to the finish. Every tiki you do will be better and better so get cranking on #2! Can't wait to see how it will turn out?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:39 am   Permalink

great work! Youre off to wikiwiki start so keep going and as Benz said, it will get mo bettah!!!

back to work for you!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 10:52 pm   Permalink

My next tiki was inspired by a Westwood ashtray. Thus the name of my new tiki:

The "West Cheeky Tiki".

I have this ashtray in my collection. This design can also be found in the book, Tiki Quest, page 148.

The inspiration:

Unlike my first tiki, this time I measured the log and drew up a more detailed sketch, instead of just eyeballing it and/or free-hand drawing directly on the log. The initial sketch:

I hand striped my new log with my brand new sharp draw knife, sanded and carved all in one afternoon.

BayPark Buzzy's tips with respect to measuring and transferring the design onto the log were instrumental in how much I was able to accomplish in one afternoon. 4WDtiki also showed me a thing or two about power tools. They aren't so scary anymore.

This is as far as I got in the July 2007 Chop in Oceanside:

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 11:27 pm   Permalink

Nice work cheeky! I look forward to seeing how this one shapes up!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-19 10:53 am   Permalink

Cool and different design. Looks even better on the log!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 1:49 pm   Permalink

I've finished the WestCheeky...I really got to update this post with some pictures.

I started a new one as well called the "Tipsy Tiki"...updates to follow....

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 03:26 am   Permalink

Cheeky-girl, Nice ooking tikis, your new one looks like you have learned a lot. Keep up the good work and Practice, practice, Practice!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 10:03 am   Permalink

Really nice start. Looks like you are a natural and already ahead of the learning curve. Can't wait to see the next pic's. Have you decided on a stain yet? Happy carving!

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 9:48 pm   Permalink

Nice Work. The lay out is very well done.
Keep them coming.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain FOREMAN

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:53 pm   Permalink

Chisels are fine and dandy for straight edge work, butt to really good features without the aide of mallets and such, I'd suggest investing in the basic mallet tool set that is sold by Flexcut, I use mine extensively and the best thing about those tools is that you don't need a sharpen stone or grinder, they sell you a strop to maintain the polished edge and they can flex while you carve. Also to carve faster consider investing in the power carver that the company Arbortech sells, it's very noisy, butt you can really hog out wood with it, both companies can be easily found on the web. Happy carving!

-Captain FOREMAN

View Profile of Captain FOREMAN Send a personal message to Captain FOREMAN  Goto the website of Captain FOREMAN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 4:19 pm   Permalink

CaptanForeman -- Doh! Sorry about the confusion, my bad, I’ve lumped my tools into one general category of “chisels”. I’ve been using the “straight-chisels” and the “mallet tools”.

The mallet tools have been absolutely essential in carving. I love FlexCut and have the 6 piece Starter set and the 4-piece Sculptor set. I have also purchased several other 60 degree V mallet tools as well as a few others.

Flex Cut Starter Set

FlexCut Sculptor Set

Thanks for noticing and helping me clarify this!

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 11:20 pm   Permalink

Finally took some photos of the WestCheekyTiki.

It was an accident, I chopped off one of the fingers. Ouch!

Decided not to glue it back on.

I've given it a quick sand--haven't decided on a stain. I think I just might keep it natural and just put a quick coat of a protective sealant.

As you can see, I just dug a little deeper and gave it a little round mouth. The nose is not symetrical, but I like it with all it's imperfections.

The "West Cheeky Tiki" is done! (well except for the protective sealant...)

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-15 05:23 am   Permalink

You go girl!!! Those Tikis are going to get better and better...and the missing finger just adds character to that guy. Keep up the great work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 08:52 am   Permalink

WOW! Love it! I like how you went all the way from inspiration to design, to the finished piece. Well done. You now have every carvers dilemma, stain it, coat it, leave it? You'll just have to make more, so you can try out different looks.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation