Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts bamboo clear coat
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
bamboo clear coat
detikiful

Posted: 2006-09-25 4:42 pm   Permalink

This is my first post. How ironic that I am a tiki fan and never knew this site existed. I have enjoyed reading and looking at all the pictures that everyone has posted. I have my own little tiki "escape" in my backyard. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for sealing bamboo. I found a 12'x4' bamboo wall of sorts that I have attached to my house. It is made of real bamboo and is wired together. It is only about 6 months old and it is looking very discolored and old. Anyone have this problem and if you do what works well to seal this stuff?

View Profile of detikiful Send a personal message to detikiful      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 5:30 pm   Permalink

Detikiful,

Welcome to TC.

There are many more with far greater experience with 'Boo' on these boards than I (cough Bamboo Ben), but, I will suggest spraying polyurethane (clear gloss or satin) directly to it before it patinas (gets grey from the elements)on you. I have much larger boo that I let sit on the side of my house for years literally and all I have to do to bring it back is to sand it and poly it. It turns out beautiful as the day it was cut.

Hold off on doing anything until others pile into this thread.

Mahalo

McTiki

[ This Message was edited by: McTiki 2006-09-25 17:30 ]

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
detikiful

Posted: 2006-09-25 6:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure sanding would work but it is worth a shot. It is too cool of a piece to let it get all weathered.

View Profile of detikiful Send a personal message to detikiful      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 09:21 am   Permalink

brush on spar varnish. No spray.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rodder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-26 09:45 am   Permalink

no spray. Why?

View Profile of Tiki Rodder Send a personal message to Tiki Rodder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 6:28 pm   Permalink

the brush pushes the finish into the bamboo and all the little crevices...doesnt just lightly sit on top

and when you are spraying larger areas... the spray ends up overspraying and you throw away 25% of the product into thin air.

IMO

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2006-09-26 18:29 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 10:03 pm   Permalink

The guys at Oceanic arts told me to use steel wool instead of sandpaper. Did the trick.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-29 11:33 am   Permalink

I was going to ask about finishing Boo as I have access to a ton of it from my friend and I want to build a bar. Two followup questions:

1. Is there a preferred fire retardant treatment which could be used? Do any of you add this to your creations?

2. What do you use to strap Boo poles together? Where do you get it and how is it handled?

Thanks!

I-tiki

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-29 1:50 pm   Permalink

Gheeez...leave it to the newbies (including myself) to worship all of you experts. What a great question detikiful!! I have a fabulous large Bamboo set on my front patio and it is only a year old...but the shine is gone from the sun & the rain. I was thinking about posting the same type of a question....so I will keep my eye on this thread. Great minds think TIKI!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 9:23 pm   Permalink

Just got a batch of bamboo poles from a freecycle ad last weekend. This fella had to cut down a grove of it because the city is making him. It took me about 30 minutes to get there and with a machete and pruner I quickly had quite a pile. Now I have them laid out horizontally so that the rains can rinse them off. The greener ones need to cure to brown but I hope to put these to use soon. Gotta love free bamboo! Crummy cel phone pictures but you get the idea.

Me and my little assistant.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 11:12 pm   Permalink

Nice score 8 ft!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-14 11:17 pm   Permalink

A good product to use for your bamboo in an outdoor setting would be Sikkens (the one phase stuff is easier) Cetol SRD. It has a UV protectant as well as sealant against moisture. The trick with steel wool is a good suggestion too.

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 04:29 am   Permalink

8 ft, you're a beach combing family in spirit if not in deed. Let us know what you do with all that bamboo.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EyeballJohn
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-15 4:26 pm   Permalink

This might Help with graying bamboo, my Tiki bar was looking pretty sad after a year in the NY weather so when spring came I made a mixture of bleach and water put it in a spray bottle and hit the bamboo. the gray pretty much fell off I used a scotch brite pad on spots that were a little darker, I hit the bamboo with the hose washed it down good and let it dry, after a gave it a few coats of Thomsons water seal and it looks like new, Hope this Helps, EyeballJohn

View Profile of EyeballJohn Send a personal message to EyeballJohn  Email EyeballJohn Goto the website of EyeballJohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whiskeyblood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-31 08:12 am   Permalink

I am very interested in this thread- i know it's rather old but I really thought there would be more suggestions. If anyone has more to offer please hit me up. I can cut bamboo by the truck loads but I have no experience drying, finishing and sealing the stuff properly....Help.

View Profile of whiskeyblood Send a personal message to whiskeyblood      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation