FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki I weep for the recently departed...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
I weep for the recently departed...
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-23 9:06 pm   Permalink

While watching 'Blue Hawaii' (1961) the other day, this scene from inside a travel agency caught my attention. The scene is about 20 mins into the film and is a discussion between Elvis's girlfriend and his father. But the background is of the International Market Place. Look closer behind the ladies' hat and you can see two tikis in front the Don the Beachcomber locale. Are these the same tikis?

Sorry for the crappy images, they are pics from the tv, I couldn't get the screen capture to work on the laptop.

There are also some really great architecture shots in the movie. Elvis's parents house on Oahu is awesome, but I bet it was a set constructed for the movie. This coffee shop(?) is in the opening scene of the movie. Anyone remember what it was? Later in the scene it looks like it is across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The highrise portion of the wonderful Waikikian Hotel is also quickly shown in this shot just down the street around the corner.

Zulu

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-10-23 21:09 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 04:52 am   Permalink

That restaurant was called "Tops" you can almost make out the sign on it, I think it was located when the The Hard Rock Cafe is now. It was part of the Spencecliff chain.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 3:34 pm   Permalink

Naugatiki - the Hard Rock Cafe is located on the old Kau Kau Korner site - I believe Tops was closer in to Waikiki.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-24 15:34, Koolau wrote:
Naugatiki - the Hard Rock Cafe is located on the old Kau Kau Korner site - I believe Tops was closer in to Waikiki.

Could be I have vauge memories of that place as a kid but that sign brought me right back. They even had a Tiki Tops over the Pali.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-24 04:52, naugatiki wrote:
That restaurant was called "Tops" you can almost make out the sign on it, I think it was located when the The Hard Rock Cafe is now. It was part of the Spencecliff chain.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:40 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 6:14 pm   Permalink

Naugatiki - that's a fun handout. I think all those restaurants on your list are gone with the exception of Fisherman's Wharf. Kelly's was the last to go in 1998. I see that Tiki Tops was located in the Windward City Shopping Center - home of some cool mid-century architecture (including the crazy domed Foodland supermarket) that is rapidly being renovated into flat concrete slab blandness. I wonder where it was located within the Center?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-22 14:26, Steve-O wrote:
Here's some scanned Kodakromes of the Marketplace and surroundings.
(Thanks Bungy for your stories at the Hukilau recently!)
Inspired me to post these. I could have listened to more...
Remember I said I had some pics of the treehouse you played in?
Hope this brings back memories:

http://www.studioelectro.com/hawaii/

Apologies for wandering off topic, but Steve-O, I sent your pics to my dad who was in the Air Force from 1952-1982 and asked him if he had passed through Hickam AFB in Hawaii (your first picture). He replied that he stopped over in Hickam the very same year that those pictures were taken (1960)! He said your pictures were exactly the way he remembered Oahu. And to add to it, he said they also went to Don the Beachcombers one night. I'm going to ask him if he can remember any details from that night. I just thought that was too cool.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 1:51 pm   Permalink

Soon this is what it might look like in front of La Mariana

and progress gives Honolulu more places like "Shoot Real Gun!".

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation