[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Disney Space station X-1
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Disney Space station X-1
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 1:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, I would love to see some pictures of this great attraction!

There is a poster in Rocket Rods pizza port, but very little info anywhere else, except this:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=1258

I am still waiting for Disney to hire Shag to makeover tomorrowland back into a retro-60's atomic age style.

My mind reels when I think about what he could do with it. I am sure people would love it completely!!

Bring back inner space, the peoplemover, mission to mars, and add a few other things! Who cares if today's technology outpaces the actual exhibits and attractions.

I want Googie! I want space age! I don't want Jules verne anymore!!

Put a jetson's type lounge right where the loading dock for the people mover used to be! Serve alchohol! Play space age lounge and jazz music! You could sit up there and drink space themed drinks and watch tomorrowland underneath you!!

Do these things now, Disney! You are wasting so much space in that area!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 13:20, lucas vigor wrote:

Bring back inner space, the peoplemover, mission to mars, and add a few other things! Who cares if today's technology outpaces the actual exhibits and attractions.

I concur in spades.

Adventure Thru Inner Space is my all-time favorite Disneyland ride.

http://www.yesterland.com/innersp.html

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 4:19 pm   Permalink

I actually bought the virtual ride-through DVD (Kind of looks like an X-box version) of Adenture through inner space! Very cool indeed! This guy painstakingly created the entire ride from start to stop, with two different views. (one in the cars, one floating above the cars), the original audio and everything!! www.Atommobiles.com

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 5:00 pm   Permalink

Inner Space could be updated with Shag designs and modern knowledge of DNA/RNA strands. You'd have to have to hit the top pharmaceutical companies with big baseball bats to stop them trying to invest in a new version. It'd be amazang.

Indeed, why not do a lounge up top of the Peoplemover Tower? Great idea! What's the problem, 'Imagineers'? That mess of satellite dishes doesn't even work these days.

DisneyInc just doesn't have the insight or imagination anymore. Even Shag had to fight for his work against the same dimwitted marketing staff that hired him.

Since they took the Bat N'Rouge shop away, the place just isn't de same.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 08:28 am   Permalink

They do some things I don't understand. Chiefly, why do they seal up whole sections of walkaway during those dang parades and light shows?

Disney was always crowded, but I remember as a child there was at least places where you could run free, and find some space of your own. It seems like they are hell bent on funneling traffic down specific corridors. It was real bad last christmas, as the christmas parade pretty much shut down main street. It was reduced to single file traffic, and there were employees blocking the stores that connect, so you could not even cut through! People were getting mad, and starting altercations.

More then half the problem are the accursed double strollers. These little mini-Humvees that are always filled with todlers and younger (who can't take the long hours and sensory overload). These kids are always crying, crying, crying! Why even take them?

I don't know why the babies are kept in the park after dark. Shouldn't they be home, in bed?

When I was a teen, Disney after dark was mostly teens, with all the super-families having gone home at dusk. Not anymore.

And what's with the huge groups of people that just stand there, blocking the road? I don't get that. If you are that lost, and have no idea where to go next, or want to chit-chat, move the hell over to the side!!!!

But, I still love Disney. What else is there? It could be better, though.

Shag involved with tomorrowland would be a start. Prohibiting large strollers after 7 pm would also be a start. Stop closing fantasyland when the fireworks start would be good. Get that monorail back up and running. Bring back the skyway. The terminal near casey jones train is just sitting there. Open up the backcountry of frontierland. All that wasted space where the old mine train used to be is ridiculous. There is free area in the old fanstasyland autopia area. Get those peoplemovers going again. The snow white theater near toontown has not been used in over a year, and that's a great one for sucking in the stroller crowd and keeping them off the street for a while. What's up with the area behing big thunder ranch?

And mostly, make it all one big park and get rid of the big circle in between the two parks. Charge more if you have to.

Get rid of the churros completely. Have you seen the lines for those things?

Give the employees some caffiene or something. Seems like they are trained to be placed, docile and tranquilized, for how slow they move. And make them happy. They mostly seem sullen and unfriendly these days.

Move the emphasis from parades and other walkway cloggers back to the theaters (like captain EO, snow white, the hunchback, etc.)

Man, what a rant!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 6:11 pm   Permalink

Dude, I agree, but you need to look into pharmacuticles(sp?) too.

j/k Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. I have a year pass, but hardly go.
I need to remember to go on Wed. evenings in the Fall or something.
because I can't stand the crowds either.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 2:12 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:05 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-03 08:28, lucas vigor wrote:
They do some things I don't understand.

That they do. I worked there for a few years in the mid 90s when Tomorrowland was undergoing its renovation, or whatever you want to call it. There are sort of semi-logical reasons for most of the unusual things they do and there's a different excuse for each of the things you brought up in your post. Just the one example I know from experience-- Fantasyland gets shut down during the fireworks because of the displays that are lit from the castle itself. The fallout presents a safety hazard. Maybe not much of a hazard, but let's face it, if someone got struck by a piece of a falling firework, they'd sue for millions of dollars and that would probably be worse than shutting down Fantasyland every night. Toontown and parts of the backstage area used to (and probably still do) get shut down for fireworks for the same reason. Even your average cast members weren't allowed back there.
I absolutely agree that Disney should move away from the sidewalk cloggers, but I also agre with Tang that Imagineers are generally not to blame. Most of the bad decsions we all complain about are the result of poor management decisions. I've heard things have been on the upswing lately, so hopefully things will continue in that direction.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 7:07 pm   Permalink

Sorry Imagineers. It must really suck to have great big ideas that keep getting shot down every single time for the worst of reasons. They recently brought out a new train, the "Ward Kimball" that is one big gleaming beaut. Ward was a genius. Nice job.

Hey, we're all on the side of fun and imagination. We just need a bit more in the park. At least the canoes are still floating. They're my fave, I grew up in Northern Canada and feathering a no-drip stroke is at least something I got over SoCal Beefy Boys.

Wanna change something drastic? Knock down the division between Californioa Adventure and Dland. Go ahead, I dare ya.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 11:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-03 18:11, bigtikidude wrote:
Dude, I agree, but you need to look into pharmacuticles(sp?) too.

Actually...you used to be able to get pharmaceuticals at Disneyland. Right on Main Street at the old (long gone) Upjohn Pharmacy:

It was right across the street from the Hollywood-Maxwell Brassiere Company's store, where you could watch a mechanical tin robot extol the virtues of the elastic bra in a show called "The Wonderful Wizard of Bras."

I'm not making that up, either. That was in Disneyland.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-08 02:33 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:08 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-08 02:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:08 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 07:23 am   Permalink

Great stuff guys!

I just receieved the DVD Disney treasures: Tomorrowland!

It has 4 educational cartoons/films that dealt with science and technology as of 1956-simply awesome!

Man in space
Man and the moon
Man on mars
Eyes in space
Our friend the atom
EPCOT

Ward Kimball and Verner Von braun are the hosts and narrators.

The cartoon segments on Man on mars were worth the 45 dollars alone! There is one dealing with the start of life on earth that is a total classic!

Anyone else seen these?

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 09:28 am   Permalink

Yep - all that "Man in Space" Kimball stuff is really great... We have a fascinating interview with Kimball about these shows in "E" Ticket #24 - not many left in our backstock, however...

http://www.the-e-ticket.com/Issue_page_24.html

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-10-10 09:40 am   Permalink

Tang,

You're making me weep here with the photos! What I wouldn't give to return to a Disneyland that looked like that again!

Cammo,

We'll have to meet at D-land sometime and commandeer one of the canoes. I'm an old Polynesian Outrigger canoer, so between the two of us, we sould be able to take it wherever we want it, regardless of what the frontier-guide in the back wants to do. Compare the North-woods no-drip, feathered stroke to the South-seas one.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation