FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Disney Space station X-1
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Disney Space station X-1
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 10:26 am   Permalink

Interesting thing I saw the other day at the Rivers of america in the early evening:

Two powerboats racing right in front of where splash mountain makes it's turn after coming down the plume.

The wakes caused waves to make the ducks bounce up and down! The river must be deeper then it looks, with the submerged rails for the two big boats farther down below the surface!

Anyone hear any rumours about a scheduled movie based on "Jungle boat cruise"?

And how about that Mice age rumour of the tom sawyer's island makeover to match the third movie of POTC?

Another question: What does anyone think happened to the space station X-1 interior diorama? E-bay? Some imaganeer's backyard? Hidden in an attack above the star tours ride?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 10:44 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:09 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 12:54 pm   Permalink

Or they ended up in a junkyard somewhere!

I was at one in Santa ana, and I saw this wierd rocker arm with a chipmunk affixed to a rotating disk..it took me a second or two to realize it was a dumbo flying circus arm!! They also had a matterhorn bobsled, and a giant cobra entranceway assembly which I believe was for the attraction that came directly after the tahitian terrace, before the current alladin show. I can't remember the name of the junkyard but it is very near the old water tower near the 5 fwy and 17th street. This was a few years back, so who knows if the stuff is still there. Whoever own it has a few strange things in that lot.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-10 10:44, Tangaroa wrote:
"Powerboats" are probably the skiffs used on both Jungle & the ROA to navigate quickly somewhere on the river. But they shouldn't have been driving them during operational hours - bad show!

Yes - a Jungle Cruise movie is in development, and yes - POTC in one form or another will eventually take over Tom Sawyers Island. Work on this began in earnest earlier this Summer.

Sad to say, most likely the Space Station X-1 diorama is long gone. Anything that didn't make it to the 1990s generally went in the trash heap (i.e. much of the sets from Adventure Thru Inner Space). My theory is that it was probably rolled up & put in storage at the park (if not trashed upon removal) - where it sat until soemone decided "we don't need this anymore". That's just a best guess - but a lot of things at the park ended up that way...

A jungle boat cruise movie sounds very cool, long as they make it more like "african queen" and less like the latest "love bug". Another movie with Lindsey Lohan and hip-hop music will turn my stomach. Hopefully, they have learned (by the success of POTC) that they can still make great movies without pandering to people born after 1987!!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 1:49 pm   Permalink

Uh-oh. A Pirates makeover of Tom Sawyer Island? The place Walt designed himself, my favorite part of the park, the best place to sit around and watch the clouds go by, the only place that is so busy you'd think they'd never think of changing it, the only true 50's Disneyland Americana left, the only place they let you play on rocks and climb on wet teetering barrels, the definitive California hide-and-seek experience,

way to go Imagineers. Very imaginative.

Hey, I don't know if anybody noticed, but there already IS a Pirates ride at Disneyland.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 2:22 pm   Permalink

I can almost, almost see why they would do it.

Mark Twain is one of my favorite authors, and I 100% agree with his political views, but, both his top stories are, how shall we say? politically incorrect.

American Indians could be offended if they miss the historical context, and so can african americans. The fact that mark Twain would be the least likely to discriminate against these people goes against the language and imagery in both books.

Getting rid of this wonderful island is regretable, but I can see why. I can also see that today's kids have not and will not read the books, so there is really no tie-in.

lastly, I don't go on scary rides so when my family or friends go on them, I usually like to go to the island...where I am a middle aged guy with no visible kids standing around watching and enjoying the scenery..You can see the problem there already! Enough dirty looks from yuppie parents have deterred me from this location.

But, although I can see the reasons and actually think it's probably a good idea to change the attraction to a POTC theme, it makes me sad to see yet another part of my childhood gone for good.

I am going this weekend, and the yuppies be damned! I want to take some pictures before it is all gone.

In my opinion, a lot is riding on "finding nemo". If that ride does well, and is good, they (Disney) may be on the path to redemption. I still miss the old subs, though. I still want them to fix tomorrowland and get Shag to help out with the imagery. I still would like to see the transportation in DL back up and running. Watching my EPCOT video, shows how Walt always wanted things in motion. In one shot you can see Peoplemover, monorail, flying rockets, autopia and matterhorn boblseds all going at the same time.

For more information, check out
www.yesterland.com

Great site!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 4:03 pm   Permalink

"Tom Sawyer" and "Huck Finn" are the best American books ever written; Ernest Hemmingway's opinion. The fact that modern audiences are less literate now than in Sam Clemen's day, when his books were a hit, is pretty disturbing. That Tom and Huck could be seen as being racist is even more outragous - "Huck Finn" is so heartbreakingly anti-racist it's credited as helping to motivate a lot of the rights movements later. These books have been translated into 267 languages, they are some of the most collectible books in the world, they helped start the Boy Scout movement (really!) and have been made into countless films and at least two hit Broadway plays. Mark Twain is America's best known and loved writer, an international personality and world traveller in his day, the father of Standup Comedy, the father of American Humor itself.

In a nutshell, DisneyInc thinks they can do it better.

Good luck. A Pirate version just doesn't sound interesting or imaginative, but it will blend in better to the New Orleans Square/Haunted Mansion area the boats depart from. The caves can be pirated up. Yeah, it'll work. Looks good on paper.

I give the idea a 3.7 out of 10.

Next, I swear, is the Paddlewheeler.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 4:18 pm   Permalink

I recently finished reading both book, (again) and find myself laughing so hard in certain parts!

But, you can see why Disney does what it does: Lawsuits. Besides losing money on stuff like Rocket Rods, people get hurt, then they sue. People are offended by a pirate chasing a girl, so they change it to a pirate chasing a girl with food. The settler's cabin on TS island used to be engulfed in flames..not any more.

I love Peter Pan (The cartoon, not Michael jackson of course) but I cringe every time they come to the indians singing "What makes the red man go-uhggggg".

In my heart I know it was not meant to be offensive, but tell that to people nowadays!!

Now, does anyone know when the island will close for the renovation? DL pisses me off in that respect, as they close a ride or attraction before you get a chance for one last visit!!

Can you imagine being the last paying customer on Adventure through inner space? Man, would that be cool!

Did I mention that I have the computer-recreated ride-through on DVD?

On a large TV, in the dark, it almost looks real!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 4:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:10 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 6:02 pm   Permalink

At the risk of almost getting back on topic, I present a few items from my meager Tomorrowland collection.

Our Friend the Atom and Man and Weather Satellites

A few Monsanto postcards

An extremely vague map of Tomorrowland 1957 (At least you can see where Space Station X-1 was located.)

Pictures of Tomorrowland from A Complete Guide to Disneyland 1957

Sorry about the glare. I don't have a scanner. Still looking for an actual picture of Space Station X-1.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-10 7:00 pm   Permalink

Makes me sad. I'd love it if Tomorrowland became the fantasy version of tomorrow and looked like The Jetsons, with flying cars and googie housing on stilts. Walkways convey you everywhere and robots take care of everything. I have a cd of Walt Disney narrarating tours of the different areas and he refers to Tomorrowland as (forgive if this isn't word for word) "Fantastic atomic powered machines work for us" and then proceeds to the soundtrack from the Mission to the Moon ride...my favorite part of the cd.

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-10 13:49, Cammo wrote:
Uh-oh. A Pirates makeover of Tom Sawyer Island? The place Walt designed himself, my favorite part of the park...

Yep. Walt had it down pat, unlike many of those that have come after him.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 10:07 pm   Permalink

The ironic thing is, the original Tomorrowland is absolutely up to date in the 21st century.

Molecular biology is the fastest growing field of medicine. Atomics drive every self respecting submarine, and still determine international policy. The computer is everywhere, just as it was forseen in the Home of the Future. That Mars Rover, it just keeps running.

Anybody with a 50's style home is the envy of everyone on the block. And the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room is ground zero for the biggest arts movement to hit California in years.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 08:18 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 19:11 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 08:36 am   Permalink

Amen!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation